PDA

View Full Version : help with stringing

abenguyen
12-18-2006, 04:59 PM
i have a poly mains and synthetic cross hybrid. both are gamma brand strings but im needing to know what tension to string at!!!?!?!?!?!? should i string the poly mains at 62 with the synthetic cross at 60? same tension for both?

abenguyen
12-19-2006, 12:42 PM
help anybody?!?!?!?

alu16L
12-19-2006, 05:01 PM
I'd string them at the same tension. I use LM Prestige Mp with Poly cross at 56 and syn gut cross at 56. Feels good.

nhstennis
12-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Is This Stinger You Are Stringing If So Do Not Change Tensions Keep It Even......

abenguyen
12-21-2006, 03:26 PM
ok so i will go with 62 lbs for both strings because i need some higher tension for more spin

BigGriff
12-21-2006, 03:35 PM
I like to tesnsion the cross strings approx. 2lbs higher but I have kept the tension uniform on several stringfs jobs. Experimentation is part of the joy of stringing your own sticks!

I started a log of string specs to see which works best for my playing style.

Good luck. :smile:

SteveI
12-22-2006, 02:15 AM
i have a poly mains and synthetic cross hybrid. both are gamma brand strings but im needing to know what tension to string at!!!?!?!?!?!? should i string the poly mains at 62 with the synthetic cross at 60? same tension for both?

Hi,

Need to know which Gamma Poly.. then I will jump in. Each poly really has its own tension set-up.. some need to be strung higher some lower. Without knowing which poly.. hard to give advice.

Steve

abenguyen
12-22-2006, 09:28 PM
the strings came in a package together called Gamma Stinger 16/17. the poly for the mains are a 16 gauge "monofilament copolymer" for extra durability. the crosses are 17 gauge irradiated synthetic.

SteveI
12-24-2006, 02:17 AM
the strings came in a package together called Gamma Stinger 16/17. the poly for the mains are a 16 gauge "monofilament copolymer" for extra durability. the crosses are 17 gauge irradiated synthetic.

Hi,

I would not go over 60 lbs on this string.. seems to be made for control and extra durability. I am guessing the stringbed will be quite stiff over 60 lbs. The cross string will help soften up the stringbed some.. but if you are used to a softer string like Prince Nylon.. you will find this set-up quite different. I would string the crosses 2-3 lbs less to help open up the sweetspot and help pocket the ball. BTW.. the main string is DuraBlast.

Regards,
Steve

Steve Huff
12-24-2006, 09:01 PM
I'd prefer to know which racket it's going in. I have a few players i string for that prefer the syn. cross to be strung up to 5# higher than the poly main, and really like it. I'd go 60 mains, 65 crosses on a sturdy racket.

bcsax123
12-24-2006, 09:44 PM
I would go with 58lbs. Polys dont feel good above that tension.

SteveI
12-25-2006, 01:55 AM
I'd prefer to know which racket it's going in. I have a few players i string for that prefer the syn. cross to be strung up to 5# higher than the poly main, and really like it. I'd go 60 mains, 65 crosses on a sturdy racket.

Steve,

Happy Holidays!! He is using a Head LM Radical MP. My thoughts are that with the smaller head, tight string patten, low power and higher tension it may feel to quite boardy and create a low-output power frame. I also was thinking that his arm might suffer at the higher tension. Have a great day!

Regards,
Steve

abenguyen
12-26-2006, 11:23 AM
well i am using a lm radical. i havn't broken my prince nylon strings yet. i think they will be breaking sometime soon. i might string the strings at 60 lbs tension on both. maybe ill go 60 for the mains and 58 for the crosses.

SteveI
12-26-2006, 02:08 PM
well i am using a lm radical. i havn't broken my prince nylon strings yet. i think they will be breaking sometime soon. i might string the strings at 60 lbs tension on both. maybe ill go 60 for the mains and 58 for the crosses.

Hi,

The top end of the LM Rad MP is 62. I would go 58 mains and 56 crosses to get a softer and more powerful stringbed. LM rad MP is on the control end of racket world and you would be really have to supply all your own power at 62 and might put your arm at risk in the process.

Good luck with your quest...

Steve

abenguyen
12-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Thank You Steve, but i played with my radical today and was disgusted with it. I was getting no spin and hitting the most flat shots ever. the reason i wanted to string so high was to give the racquet some spin capability. i am getting it restrung tomorrow either with this hybrid or my head hybrid i bought (head protector 16) the head strings are both multis i believe so that will be fine at 62. i guess i will try it first at 62 lbs since it is an elbow protection string.

federer_nadal
12-26-2006, 11:48 PM
um i have been hearing that stringing low gives more spin, also someone said thicker mains help (dont quote me on it, i may have heard wrong.)

abenguyen
12-27-2006, 11:13 AM
well they are 16 gauge mains and 17 gauge crosses. there are many threads about whether high or low tensions give spin. i think its all personal opinion. but when i had my radical at the tension it was at, i could tell it was in the 57-58 range. i could feel the flex of the strings and i was achieving no spin. i had my old prince racquet strung at 64 lbs once and that is where i got spin. i guess i will just string at 62 for both strings or i will got 62 mains 60 crosses. or 60 for both. i refuse to go any lower than 60 lbs

abenguyen
12-27-2006, 04:50 PM
well after deciding not to go below 60 lbs, i went to the "Totally Tennis" store here in Broken Arrow, OK. the guy used this little tool to measure the approximate tension of my strings at that time. it turns out my strings were in the high 30s or low 40s. so i gave the guy my gamma stinger 16/17 package for stringing. he said that since its a poly it will have a dead feeling and i shouldn't string too high. he said around 57 would be good. so i agreed with him and had it strung at 57 lbs for both the poly mains and synthetic crosses. now i am waiting to get it back and i am very excited. hopefully i can get it back tomorrow and have a little hittin session before it rains friday.

Steve Huff
12-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Cliff Price at Totally Tennis is a really good guy. Quite a tennis player too. He won several local tournaments there back in the 70's when he was over 35 (still played open division). His shop used to be at 41st and Yale (Southroads). I haven't been back to Tulsa for a while. May get out there this summer. Good to hear he's still got the shop going.

abenguyen
12-27-2006, 11:26 PM
yea. i guess its his wife and his son working now. i saw a guy and his mom(he called her mom) so im just guessing that they are family. so yea one store, "game, set, match" , was closed so we went there. so i hope they can have my radical done by tomorrow(today being that its 2:24 am here) and i hope its a good string job. im reall excited to go hit with it now that i have a poly/synthetic hybrid but im worried about the low tension of 57lbs. the guy said that higher tensions might make the feel totally dead. so i went with his thought and he seemed like he knew what he was doing.

SteveI
12-28-2006, 01:51 AM
yea. i guess its his wife and his son working now. i saw a guy and his mom(he called her mom) so im just guessing that they are family. so yea one store, "game, set, match" , was closed so we went there. so i hope they can have my radical done by tomorrow(today being that its 2:24 am here) and i hope its a good string job. im reall excited to go hit with it now that i have a poly/synthetic hybrid but im worried about the low tension of 57lbs. the guy said that higher tensions might make the feel totally dead. so i went with his thought and he seemed like he knew what he was doing.

Hi,

I would trust this stringer if Steve Huff gives him the thumbs up. BTW.. think I said the same thing in posts #9, 12 and 14. Too high..too stiff..tight string pattern..no power. etc ..etc.. etc. You may still have to experiment with tension a few times to hit the perfect mark for the string, your game and the frame. There are so many factors to consider. Enjoy the madness... :-)

Steve

abenguyen
12-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Hi,

I would trust this stringer if Steve Huff gives him the thumbs up. BTW.. think I said the same thing in posts #9, 12 and 14. Too high..too stiff..tight string pattern..no power. etc ..etc.. etc. You may still have to experiment with tension a few times to hit the perfect mark for the string, your game and the frame. There are so many factors to consider. Enjoy the madness... :-)

Steve

i will, i will

and i called in just now(12:25 p.m.) and they had it done so i am excited to go out and hit today but it is slightly windy here.

abenguyen
12-28-2006, 10:49 PM
o man what a day. right after i got my racquet back i went straight to the courts. it was GREAT. the feel was so solid and amazing. i was able to generate spin easily. everything was easily done with groundstrokes, volleys, serves. i was able to serve with some extra speed on my serve and it was great. i think this is the best kind of strings i have ever tried.