PDA

View Full Version : since it's winter do you guys........

tnkGod4tns
12-18-2006, 06:20 PM
adjust your tension to compensate for the cold weather??

plarazza
12-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Not really I probly should of tho. I am guessing (probly wrong) that you would drop the tension because the cold weather wouldstop the strings from warming up a bit and stretching, therefore would be stiffer that normal>
Im not sure anyone else kno?

vinnier6
12-18-2006, 07:45 PM
i play inside during the winter so i dont adjust for tension...but when summer comes again, and if i happen to use a multi again, i will string it up 2-4lbs for the hot days...

cghipp
12-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Nah, too much trouble, and at any rate the temperature varies so much in the winter here, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Valjean
12-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Drop the tension two lbs., anyway.

alu16L
12-18-2006, 11:28 PM
adjust your tension to compensate for the cold weather??

For indoors I go up 2 lbs from my regular tension.

vkartikv
12-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Oh come on, how many of us here are calibrated with such sensitivity to notice? When its cold I'm trying to keep my **** warm, the last of my concerns is the tension on my strings

SoBad
12-18-2006, 11:40 PM
At present I keep two racquets with 6lbs difference for indoors and outdoors, and use third to replace whichever pops.

BigServer1
12-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Oh come on, how many of us here are calibrated with such sensitivity to notice? When its cold I'm trying to keep my **** warm, the last of my concerns is the tension on my strings

My thoughts exactly...

theace21
12-19-2006, 06:31 AM
I use a hybrid of gut and Gosen Sheep Micro most of the year. During the winter, I play less and just go with all synthetic gut.

ferocious4hand
12-19-2006, 09:35 AM
in the summer I string at 65lb since the balls fly quicker in the heat. In the winter around 60lb for a softer stringbed with all that moister making the balls heaviert to ease my arm

fuzz nation
12-19-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm playing outside sometimes in 45 to 48 degree temps if there's no wind and I had my pair of LM Prestiges strung 5 lbs apart, the looser one at 50 lbs. At first I thought the looser one was useless when I tried it indoors, but when outside in the cold, the tighter one felt like a brick. The loose one was nice, but I'll probably be indoors for Jan and Feb and keep them up around 58. I'm stringing with a good 17 ga syn gut and may try tensions in the low 60's in the middle of the summer.

aussie
12-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Feel sorry for you guys in the northern hemisphere - here in Brisbane, Australia, it's warm sunshine year round. Our winter's are very mild and even at night I play 52 weeks of the year. Be nice to have a bit more rain though even if I missed a few weeks of that 52!!

GRANITECHIEF
12-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Actually, some places in the N Hemisphere are also warm sunshine year round, just like some places in the S Hemisphere have winter. Depends on Latitude.

LoveThisGame
12-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Staying with the same tension works. If you play on slow courts in the summer, you may want a couple pounds less tension there because you have to generate more power on your own ... you opponent's ball comes in slower.

federermcenroeagassi
12-20-2006, 01:07 PM
no one on this forum is good enough to even explain why they should string looser/tighter in different seasons. and if you think you are justified in doing so then:

A) you are a pro on the ATP (which you almost definitely arent); or
B) you focus too much on equipment; or
C) you need more work on your game; or
D) B + C

methinks its D for most people...

have a good day

ferocious4hand
12-20-2006, 01:46 PM
i string at different tensions b/c i can feel the difference between hot and cold days. when its hot the air is thinner thus the ball travels faster and i'll need a tighter string bed to control the ball better. in the winter where there's more moister in the air the balls get heavier and slower so i'll need a looser/softer string bed to produce more power and ease up on the arm

power_play21
12-20-2006, 02:34 PM
no one on this forum is good enough to even explain why they should string looser/tighter in different seasons. and if you think you are justified in doing so then:

A) you are a pro on the ATP (which you almost definitely arent); or
B) you focus too much on equipment; or
C) you need more work on your game; or
D) B + C

methinks its D for most people...

have a good day

thats total crap because i play some tournaments in florida and some in michigan, and i have to adjust tensions and string to play clay or indoor or for big temp differences.

i am also not either of your choices, although some of the tournaments i play in florida get some number 400's and up form the ATP tour, like the turkey bowl this past november, and a lot of them D1, former ATP players, and futures level players.

so don't make that generalized crap statement about everyone on this forum.

Valjean
12-20-2006, 02:35 PM
In the cold, a string strings up tighter; in summer, looser, of course.

This is verified, for the skeptics among us. It is another thing whether this *matters* for us--but, when you play enough to tell the difference, you like to think it can. Plus, there are plenty of people who tell you they lose concentration just when missing a vibration damper!

Nextman916
12-20-2006, 04:06 PM
In the cold, a string strings up tighter; in summer, looser, of course.

This is verified, for the skeptics among us. It is another thing whether this *matters* for us--but, when you play enough to tell the difference, you like to think it can. Plus, there are plenty of people who tell you they lose concentration just when missing a vibration damper they are used to!

True, but when you are referring to the vibration dampener as being lost? As in playing without a dampener as opposed to none? Because thats a 2 worlds difference really. But if someone were to replace my dampener with another one secretly, i doubt i would notice.