PDA

View Full Version : Tricep Injury

dpsypher
08-18-2004, 06:44 AM
I am currently playing with a Yonex RDX 500 1 is strung with Ashaway monogut 16g 60lbs and the other one with monogut 17g 54lbs. The injury occurred about a month ago. When i started serving I would feel a pain around my tricep area. The is no pain in the elbow region just the tricep area. I usually play 1 or 2 times a week for a couple of hours each time. I've tried taking about 10 days off to let it heal but it would feel fine for one sessions and than it would happen again. There is no pain when I am hitting my ground strokes. It only comes about when I try to serve. The pain is not as bad if I use a slice serve but when I try to serve flat thats when its the worse. I've searched everywhere but can't seem to find anything about this problem. Right now the first culprit would be my strings. If anybody has a similar problem or suggestions please help me!!!!

Rickson
08-18-2004, 06:58 AM
You've strained the muscles of your triceps. You need to give it some rest and let the healing take place. If your injury's more than a month old, start some light resistance training after a thorough warmup, do some light stretching when you're done, and make sure your body's warm before you stretch. You probably have some scar tissue which is the result of the healing process so you'll feel tight and some pain in the injured area for a while. You can get your mobility back by stretching constantly, but I emphasize once again, only when your body is warm, cold stretching will lead to another muscle strain.

netman
08-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Do you feel the pain mainly when your arm is above your shoulder? Is there any pain around where the shoulder and upper arm come together? After playing tennis, does it hurt to lift your arm or push on objects?

dpsypher
08-19-2004, 01:12 PM
the pain is only when my arm is above my shoulders. there is no pain where the arm and shoulders come together. the pain is not as bad after i play tennis and usually goes away in about 3-4 days.

netman
08-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Based on your answer, another cause could be a mild case of shoulder impingement. The acromial ligament attaches to the end of humerus and runs under the collarbone. When is become inflamed it can swell and abrade against the collarbone causing pain. The pain will be felt not only in the shoulder but also in the triceps, bicep or both. Its a vicious cycle, since swelling causes more swelling, which further reduces tolerances, etc.

Hopefully its a tricep strain as mentioned before. First rest and ice the tricep for a few days and see if the pain disappears. If it does, then its probably a strain. If it returns quickly even after rest, you should see an orthopedist. They can properly diagnosis the problem.

Unfortunately shoulder impingement is a fairly common problem for tennis players. If you don't attend to it properly, you could be facing a surgical procedure in the future.