PDA

View Full Version : multi filament

nhstennis
12-18-2006, 06:02 PM
im kinda trying to find what string i like best..good and deep feel, pretty good durability( i dont want it really stiff)

should i get two sets of wilson reaction 17 or get one of those and one of something else. will i be happy enogh with that two string it twice?

Valjean
12-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Wilson's Reaction is the firmest multi out there now, and though it is a worthwhile string, it's pretty devoid of what I'd call "good and deep feel". So I'd at least get another, multifaceted multi string to try too, such as Klip's Excellerator. If you're looking to stay in Reaction's price range, though, you might consider Babolat's Fibertour and Tecnifibre's latest, MultiFeel.

Redflea
12-18-2006, 09:53 PM
My favs...Klip excellerator, Technifibre X-1 Biphase, & Alpha Sphere. Klip and Sphere more durable, X-1 less so (frays faster). Klip is a bit crisper/more powerful. All very comfy.

Ljubicic for number1
12-19-2006, 01:56 AM
Head FXP is very very hard to beat when it comes to multi's, I also strung a racquet with Wilson NXT max last night and it felt really nice in the process. I didnt play with the wilson but you can tell just from stringing usually.

nhstennis
12-19-2006, 12:19 PM
I am pretty knew to stringing so what tension should i string FXP or klip excellerator at on my LM radical mp?

nhstennis
12-19-2006, 12:39 PM
HAs anyone tried this new technifibre stuff called PROMIX 17
sounds very interesting

Ljubicic for number1
12-19-2006, 12:39 PM
I would string it up about 60 - 62lbs. But you may like it different.

Valjean
12-19-2006, 02:48 PM
HAs anyone tried this new technifibre stuff called PROMIX 17
sounds very interesting
Promix came out several years ago; it is not new. IMO, making a multifilament polyester hasn't proved as useful as joining nylon and poly, as in Prince's Lightning Power.

nhstennis
12-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Promix came out several years ago; it is not new. IMO, making a multifilament polyester hasn't proved as useful as joining nylon and poly, as in Prince's Lightning Power.

have you hit with the stuff i am about to order and need to know if it is worth it. We are ordering a bunch of strings and theses are what we picked to try:
Sensation supreme, TECHNIFIBRE- multifeel, E-matrix, and promix, and Signum Pro Poly-Speed Spin 16 (1.28) String and Prince poly gut. Obviously my price range for each is under $10.
let me know if these are a good bunch

LoveThisGame
12-19-2006, 06:23 PM
FWIW, I just tried MultiFeel and cut the strings out early because it seemed to be lacking power. I tried it twice and simply gave up. Prince PolyGut is a very good, inexpensive, soft poly. I don't have experience with the other strings you mentioned.

Valjean
12-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Sensation Supreme is a very frail string; I wouldn't go near this one. Here is MultiFeel's string review: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200602/200602tecnifibre_multifeel_16.html. It has a monofilament core for tension maintenance, a soft feel and adequate power. MultiFeel is displacing E-Matrix, which has durability issues too, as Tecnifibre's entry-level multi. I would order Prince's Lightning Power-- http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200501/prince_lightning_power.html --before Tecnifibre's Promix, as I said.

mhstennis100
12-19-2006, 07:29 PM
I personally don't use multis but I hear Babolat X-cel is good and comparable to Wilson's NXT line if you wanna check those out. I also hear good things about Technifibres X-One Biphase. However, these are expensive strings.

TonyB
12-19-2006, 08:16 PM
I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned the Klip Venom. I've used several multis in recent months and the Venom has always risen to the top.

Just when I think another multi is "as good or better," when I play with the Venom again, it just blows me away.

Good power, great spin, outstanding tension maintenance, good durability, and comfortable as all heck. Everything you want in a multi.

That said, the Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase is damn close. It's not quite as comfortable as the Venom, but it's got more power and good tension maintenance as well. I think I still prefer the Venom, however.

Valjean
12-20-2006, 03:21 AM
Well, this is Venom's playtest result, which could explain now how it is being so overlooked: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200604/200604klip_venom_17.html. In my own review too, it seemed rather a stiff string that lacked versatility; good enough maybe in a hybrid, but not enough string if you play with a full job. If you want something that may actually satisfy Klip's claims for Venom, try LaserFibre's SuperNatural XRC Phenom. After Excellerator, I can't even imagine why Klip needed to market Venom.

TonyB
12-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the link, Valjean.

Even more interesting is their playtest/review on Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase. It ranks 3rd on their all-time list overall, and 1st in comfort, with some high ratings for durability, playability, and spin. Of course, they do recommend pre-stretching, which I didn't do for my own racquet. As a result, I noticed a pretty big change after a couple of hours, where the stringbed seemed to just "jump" to life. I think pre-stretching probably would have prevented that.

I do like the Venom, as I said. But I'm a bit surprised to see that it's not as highly rated as the X-1 Biphase. While I do like the X-1, I still think I prefer the Venom a little better. It's more subdued, more comfortable, and seems to have a bit more access to spin.

Thor
12-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Best multi i have used is GAMMA live wire pro,i got it off the auction site for 8$ a set,i string it cosses with babolat hurricane mains - couldnt be happier!
But theres no way id pay 20$ for a set

12-20-2006, 10:52 AM
I recommend Babolat Powergy.....this string is great yet nobody seems to talk about on these boards. Crisp, but soft + decent durability

Gosen Micro JC is awesome for the price

Good 'ol TF515.....still as good as a lot of the newest MF's even though it's been around a long time

I also love LaserFibre Tour....awesome tension maintenance but is a 'firm' string

nhstennis
12-20-2006, 12:11 PM
would you reccommen prince polygut on a hybrid or just try it our by itselfy?

Valjean
12-20-2006, 01:19 PM
I recommend Babolat Powergy.....this string is great yet nobody seems to talk about on these boards. Crisp, but soft + decent durability

Gosen Micro JC is awesome for the price

Good 'ol TF515.....still as good as a lot of the newest MF's even though it's been around a long time....
Powergy is a repackaged version of a now-long-ago Babolat string called Fiberfeel, though--plus, it suffers for being out in just one gauge.

Gosen's OG Sheep Micro Super JC is a fine string, even if it was designed merely for Courier's baseline game.

Prince's Premier with Softflex is TF's 515 brought up-to-date... Try it, you'll love it, too.

LoveThisGame
12-20-2006, 06:15 PM
nhstennis, full poly on Prince Polygut should work but why not hybrid it with a decent synthetic ... hybrids like that give somewhat better playability, and during stringing you don't have to contend with poly not liking to go up and down when weaving and pulling through of the last 3 or so crosses.

nhstennis
12-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Of all these strings mentioned which strings maintain tension the best and dont move...
these factors are so annoying in my current string gosen sm16 which moves allover the place

ps WAT IS THE DIFFERNECE BETWEEN fibergel and fibergel power i am goin to buy one but dont know the diff.

nhstennis
12-20-2006, 08:30 PM
dont know why i added this DONT READ THIS POST SORRY

Valjean
12-21-2006, 03:35 AM
Of all these strings mentioned which strings maintain tension the best and dont move...

ps WAT IS THE DIFFERNECE BETWEEN fibergel and fibergel power i am goin to buy one but dont know the diff.
"....The key difference between FiberGel and FiberGEL Power lies in the core. Where FiberGel had a monofilament core with a wrap of gel fibers, FiberGEL Power's core is made up of more than 500 multifilament DuPont fibers, bundled with two larger twin-gel fibers.

HEAD matched the characteristics of the multifilament fibers with those of the twin-gel fibers to produce more resiliency and power. The twin-gel fibers also act to dampen vibration for more comfort. HEAD uses a special manufacturing technique that utilizes the elasticity of the fibers to create a softer string, which they say contributes to both feel and control."

The original FiberGel was introduced in 2002; FiberGel Power was introduced in 2004. FiberGel Power got its worst marks in the USRSA playtest for Touch/Feel, Spin Potential and String Movement.

Since you are going to order one of these, and say you abhor string movement, you'd better consider adding in stringsavers.

Richie Rich
12-21-2006, 03:55 AM

i'm currently testing head fibergel power. i tried it because of its supposed good tension maintenance for a multi. at least that's what the reviewers wrote. i'll let you know what i find out.

arifed
12-21-2006, 07:29 AM
im kinda trying to find what string i like best..good and deep feel, pretty good durability( i dont want it really stiff)

should i get two sets of wilson reaction 17 or get one of those and one of something else. will i be happy enogh with that two string it twice?

In your shoes I'd go for a set of reaction and a set of either Tecnifibre X-one or XR3.