PDA

View Full Version : Ratings Degradation

marcl65
12-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Do NTRP rankings degrade with time?

I just found out that a player on another team who went to 4.0 Nationals 4 years ago is now playing on a 3.0 team. It does not look as though he played in any USTA events between then an now but appears to have reregistered under a similar (but slightly different) name. Is this legal?

Can a person who's rated 4.0 leave the game and come back as a 3.0 several years later? Does the NTRP computer take into account time away from the game?

jamn73
12-19-2006, 10:42 AM
tell your captain, i can maybe understand a 3.5, but 3.0 that's ridiculous. email your league coordinator, but wait until the season starts so maybe all of his matches will be DQ'd. to beat evil you got to think it.

Dr. Van Nostrand
12-19-2006, 11:06 AM
It may be his old rating expired and he was allowed to self rate. It is hard to believe that someone's rating would drop two levels in four years. That being said the ratings in general in my region in Norcal did go down likely due to the poor showing of Norcal teams at the National playoffs. This happened about 4 years ago. I know a lot of players whose ratings dropped one level and most of them have stayed at the lower level. Interestingly the pendulum seems to have swung the other way now as Norcal has sent out emails saying that USTA had made a general upward adjustment of many player's ratings in Norcal. This is the result of the strong showing of Norcal teams at the National playoffs in the past few years not counting the teams using questionable players.

marcl65
12-19-2006, 11:15 AM
but wait until the season starts so maybe all of his matches will be DQ'd. to beat evil you got to think it.Oh, I like thatÖ:twisted:

I want to see him play. Like I said, he appears to not have played in any USTA events for the past four years. Iím not sure if he had an injury or something of that nature but I canít see how you go from making it to sectionals/nationals at the 4.0 level to playing 3.0, which I consider advanced beginner/intermediate, unless youíve been in a coma for those four years.

cghipp
12-19-2006, 11:35 AM
You never know. I played with a woman recently who had been bumped up to 4.5 some time back, but she wasn't very good. She was bumped down to 4.0 this season, but if she had been bumped to 3.5 I think that would have been fair. She seemed to have lost most of her strength.

cak
12-19-2006, 11:51 AM
If he were playing under the same name he could have gotten a medical appeal. Or if he's over 50? after 3 years he can re-rate. But if he's under 50 ratings last for 5 years.

If he signed up as a different person that's cheating. Then again, I doubt USTA would do anything about that unless they had real proof it was the same guy. Given the 4.0 National debacle, it's apparent they won't take a 3rd party's word for it.

marcl65
12-19-2006, 12:07 PM
If he were playing under the same name he could have gotten a medical appeal. Or if he's over 50? after 3 years he can re-rate. But if he's under 50 ratings last for 5 years.

If he signed up as a different person that's cheating. Well, technically he did use a variation of his name (e.g. Jeff instead of Jeffrey) but I'm guessing he had to reregister because his USTA membership expired (not just his rating). When you search for his name you get two people living in the same area, one who had a great year in 4 years ago and one guy thatís never played a USTA match before.

Well, if this guy is a ringer, I hope his partner is prepared to return a lot of balls. Still, I might run this situation past the coordinators just to see what they say. But I realized somethingÖthis is a mixed doubles league, if I read the rules correctly, they donít DQ you in mixed doubles.