PDA

View Full Version : Some general stringing machine questions...

OrangeOne
12-19-2006, 03:24 AM
Ok - I have done some searching, but haven't found anything definitive on the below:

1. Anyone have a clue why Eagnas have so many models? I'm bemused. They almost have too many models for me to want to narrow down what I'd want. It's almost like they just get hold of every machine to ever come out of the factories that make them, and badge one-of-everything Eagnas?

2. Anyone have any inside info on the Eagnas vs. Silent Partner war? It looks really bad for both parties imho, two competitors throwing stones. I'm sure they both feel they have to, but it doesn't endear me to either company.

3. Anyone know if TW ship machines to other countries? I'm guessing they don't / it may not be practical, and I will post separately / email them, but thought I'd ask while I'm rattling off random stringing questions.

4. Heads-up to Varuscelli, as the ref library is a very good thing :)

theace21
12-19-2006, 05:28 AM
1. I agree, 78 is way to many models. If you are fortunate to do your research on this and other boards - you will find some models that are very popular and with minimal/no problems...What about the buyer that those directly to they website, or worse calls and tries to ask questions? If they would get it down to under 10 different machines, quality control might improve, and buyer confusing will be less.

2. They both are going after the same market. First time stringers and low end machines. It is almost like a political campaign they way they rip each other. Good reading when you need a laugh.

How much do you want to spend?

OrangeOne
12-19-2006, 05:35 AM
1. I agree, 78 is way to many models. If you are fortunate to do your research on this and other boards - you will find some models that are very popular and with minimal/no problems...What about the buyer that those directly to they website, or worse calls and tries to ask questions? If they would get it down to under 10 different machines, quality control might improve, and buyer confusing will be less.

2. They both are going after the same market. First time stringers and low end machines. It is almost like a political campaign they way they rip each other. Good reading when you need a laugh.

How much do you want to spend?

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad i'm not the only one bemused with some of the above.

I'm thinking around $500 US, and I just created a thread about the SAM R1 dropweight, which seems to me to be, quality-wise, a 'higher-end' dropweight that looks well designed/made (and has the distinct advantage of being easily upgradeable to a Fixed-Clamp. The more I think, my focus will be to get something with a good mounting system. Initially i'll only do my own racquets, but I can see (like most) I'll end up doing those of mates too soon enough. I think of all of the possible stringing issues, I'd most hate to scratch/mark/damage someone else's racquet. I'd not care a bit about marking my own, I'd care lots about others.

Are my thoughts / concerns here valid? These thoughts were partially formed while looking at the SP website, I found their e-stringer mounts to look quite mediocre....

Thanks for any help!

ccelis
12-19-2006, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the reply, I'm glad i'm not the only one bemused with some of the above.

I'm thinking around $500 US, and I just created a thread about the SAM R1 dropweight, which seems to me to be, quality-wise, a 'higher-end' dropweight that looks well designed/made (and has the distinct advantage of being easily upgradeable to a Fixed-Clamp. The more I think, my focus will be to get something with a good mounting system. Initially i'll only do my own racquets, but I can see (like most) I'll end up doing those of mates too soon enough. I think of all of the possible stringing issues, I'd most hate to scratch/mark/damage someone else's racquet. I'd not care a bit about marking my own, I'd care lots about others.

Are my thoughts / concerns here valid? These thoughts were partially formed while looking at the SP website, I found their e-stringer mounts to look quite mediocre....

Thanks for any help!

OrangeOne
I have the Sp Swing and it has the same inside 6 point mounting as the e.stringer. I can tell you the mounting does a really good job in my opinioning. Even at high tensions, I usually string my POG OS at 70lb's and the mounting holds it tight, no sliding. Much better than my old 2 point mounting.

varuscelli
01-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Ok - I have done some searching, but haven't found anything definitive on the below:

1. Anyone have a clue why Eagnas have so many models? I'm bemused. They almost have too many models for me to want to narrow down what I'd want. It's almost like they just get hold of every machine to ever come out of the factories that make them, and badge one-of-everything Eagnas?

<snip>

4. Heads-up to Varuscelli, as the ref library is a very good thing :)

I must have completely missed this post when you first made it, OrangeOne.

The whole Eagnas thing has me stumped in terms of how to handle it on the photostringer site. In reality, it seems that there are over 200 machines offered by Eagnas (I think my last count was something like 223 machines).

To me, the Eagnas approach to flooding the market with choices is confusing to the consumer and likely angers (because of what seems to be copying of certain existing machines) many of the other manufacturers out there. In Eagnas' defense, I think that their argument is that they are doing the same thing that certain other manufacturers are and that "fair is fair," so to speak.

I'm not saying that the Eagnas approach can be described as unethical...but from appearances, they seem to have manufacturing practices that in other areas of business might end up in a court of law. (But "seeming to have" and "actually having" unethical practices are concepts that in this case I'm certainly not qualified to make judgments on.) I don't have anything like a complete understanding of the stringing machine manufacturing business, its history, or common practices, nor do I think that most average stringers do. But appearances being what they are, I think I can understand why there are problems existing between Eagnas and other manufacturers.

The bottom line, I'm sure, comes down to money and determining the approach that brings in the most overall profit. Flooding the market is apparently the strategy Eagnas feels works best for them in achieving that goal. That's my guess, in any case.

But, I think that the average consumer, finding himself amidst the overwhelming number of Eagnas selections, is most likely as bewildered as you and I.