PDA

View Full Version : Kirschbaum P2 vs. Kirschbaum Touch Turbo

Court_Jester
12-19-2006, 06:08 PM
The original review was posted here (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1124723#post1124723).

For this comparison, I strung two Head FXP Prestige MP racquets, one with P2 at 51 lbs and the other one with Touch Turbo at 56 lbs, both at 17g. I realize that I should have strung the TT at the same tension as the P2 but if they are anywhere close to each other in terms of tension loss, I anticipate the TT (at 56 lbs) to lose enough tension but not to the point of losing control near the end of its useful life, as I have observed with the P2 at 51 lbs.

Softness
Right from the start, you can tell the softness of both strings. Even when freshly strung, neither showed any hint of boardiness, unlike some of the soft polys that I have used in the past like SPPP and Cyber Flash (both at 54 lbs). No break-in necessary. This is a major plus, especially for a former TE sufferer like me or someone with a sensitive elbow. The strings offer enough dampening that even mishits don't feel quite as bad at all. Of course, we're talking about a poly string here so if you have good techniques, you should consider either one or both. TT feels a bit more stiff compared to P2 but maybe that's because of their different stringing tensions. Still, I give the nod to P2 for its softness.

Crispness/Playability
This criterion is a bit difficult to judge at the beginning because of the differing stringing tensions but TT is clearly head and shoulders above P2 in terms of crispness. Freshly strung, TT is a dream to hit, which probably explains its cost ($12.90/set or $89 for a 330-ft reel). After a couple of weeks, TT's tension has pretty much gone away but its "crispness" is still noticeably better than that of P2 after the same period of time.

Tension Retention
No surprise here: both lost significant tension after a couple of weeks of twice-a-week hitting. Both fall short when compared to my personal king of tension retention, the SPPP. However, the biggest surprise that I found is that even when the TT is strung at higher tension, it lost more tension more quickly than P2 to the extent that the strings start moving and getting out of place. WTH?! One of the benefits of using a poly is that the strings don't move about even after losing a lot of tension but this poly did and quite a bit, too. Unfortunately, this is a deal breaker for me, as far as TT is concerned. I don't mind the cost since I'm not a string breaker but moving strings annoy me to no end. P2 definitely edges TT in this department.

Appearance
This is not really crucial to their performance but I figure I might as well make a couple of comments here. It's hard to tell one from the other because they have the same pearl-gold color, which BTW look gorgeous on a red racquet like the Prestige. :grin: They also have a nice sheen that is similar to Agassi's string job. At first, I was glad to see the names printed on the strings but after the week, they were pretty much obliterated, especially on the P2. I mean, really gone. The printed names fared better on the TT, though.

Final Thoughts
All things considered, the P2 has a better over-all performance compared to TT. I can live with its less livelier feel, plus it's about 25% cheaper. It has become my standard string for my Prestige.

<3Tennis
12-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Hey Court Jester,
Thanks for the review. I was wondering if you can do a review of Super Smash Spiky and the P2 or at least tell me your thoughts on those strings. I was personally going to buy the Super Smash Spiky but then after reading this review the P2 sounds just as good.

Thanks

Court_Jester
12-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey Court Jester,
Thanks for the review. I was wondering if you can do a review of Super Smash Spiky and the P2 or at least tell me your thoughts on those strings. I was personally going to buy the Super Smash Spiky but then after reading this review the P2 sounds just as good.
LOL! I just ordered a Spiky yesterday out of curiosity. I've been hesitant to try their Super Smash line because they (Kirschbaum) consider it their "hard strings", as opposed to their "soft strings" made up of the P2, Competition and Touch Turbo.

You should try to read the link I included in the OP since other users like Midlife Crisis and Kevo provided some insights on P2's playing characteristics.