PDA

View Full Version : tight stringing knots

kreative
03-09-2004, 10:18 AM
how can you get the knots to be tighter? sometimes i see string jobs that have really tight knots, and other times, it seems more "open". would it affect the string job, and how can one get the knots to cinch up tight? special tips or techniques?

Rabbit
03-09-2004, 10:58 AM
I know you're not supposed to do it, but I used my tensioner to bump knots tight.

gjones
03-09-2004, 02:15 PM
I wrap the excess string around a rubber screw driver handle, you could use a dowel but I like the grip of the rubber. You use the handle much like the starter handle of a lawn mower for leverage. Caution: Pull evenly until knot is tight. Be careful not to over tighten you could break the string at the knot.

Deuce
03-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Pull back and forth - rocking it side to side - at about half your strength. This helps to 'move' the knot so that it closes in on itself.

Gaines Hillix
03-10-2004, 10:17 AM
I use parallel jaw pliers to grip the string and I pull back and forth on the first and second knot. I pull away from the grommet hole and then back to it several times on each. I make sure that the tail of the knot is coming in toward the frame/my body and does not flip over. Then I hold tension on the second knot with my pliers while I release the clamp. Only then do I trim the knot tail. I find that this last step really helps cinch up the knot so it comes out nice and tight. There is also less tension loss on the tie-off strings if the knots are done this way.

Larry Baldridge
03-10-2004, 10:32 AM
kreative--Depending upon the care taken to cinch the knot, differently constructed strings and different materials will cinch up differently as well. I.E. a monofilament may not cinch as tightly closed as natural gut unless properly/carefully done. No matter what the type of string, any knot should hold well if properly tied.

kreative
03-10-2004, 02:41 PM
thanks for all the tips.

Bertchel Banks
03-11-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm also guilty of using the tensioner.

prince
03-11-2004, 03:48 PM
im having a hard time with the tour 90 and kirshbaum SS honey at the last knot on a 2 piece stringing where 1 main is in the way .

Larry Baldridge
03-11-2004, 04:25 PM
prince -- with a single edge razor blade, try carving a slice about 1/2-3/4 off the tip of the string [making it thinner] and attempt to guide it past the string in the hole. It may just feel snug. Hopefully it'll work its way past. Once you get it in as far as it will go, take some needle nosed pliers, grab the string within 1/8 inch from the outside of the the frame(so as to have a fairly stiff short piece to push in), and gently try to push the string on further. Continue by gripping on to the string within 1/8 of entering the grommet hole, until the tip comes through on the inside of the frame. Get it through far enough so you can grab it and pull through.

David Pavlich
03-12-2004, 07:27 PM
I grab the tag end with a starting clamp. Don't hold the clamp by the handle. Cradle the clamp head between your second and third finger and rock the string as Gaines describes.

It will not slip and is quick.

David

Hawaii 5.0
03-12-2004, 07:40 PM
With the T90 I prefer not to use two piece because of that tie off, but almost always when doing one piece do it ATW rather than use that or enlarge another hole.Most people will pull the string towards the other side of the frame and away once,and then pull towards the frame since the cut off piece will end up being flush with the frame.I normally turn the racquet and pull both times toward my body.