View Full Version : Wilson nSix-One Tour 90 review now posted

TW Staff
08-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Access from our home page or directly via:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/WN61T/WN61TReview.html

Chris, TW.

kninetik
08-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Finally, a racquet review that scores under 80 and highlights some negatives and not just the positives. Mainly agree that its one hell of a challenging racquet. I just got mine back from Wilson after selling me a cracked one way back when it was released. Since then Ive been using the old PS 85 with lead tape galore shoved on the shaft. I find it much more easier to play with and swing getting consistant results, than playing with the Ncode Tour. I'll probably have it give it a few more go's before I can get the hang of the Ncode.

BreakPoint
08-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Wow! The nSix-One Tour had an overall score of only 73, whereas, both the Tour 90 and the PS 6.0 85 had overall scores of 80. Even the PS 6.0 95 had an overall score of 78. I guess I was right not to switch to the nCode!!

mach1
08-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Quoting someones signature quoting that person you all know: "You CANNOT be serious!!!"

Evolution
08-18-2004, 07:55 PM
For the very first time, I feel the testers are real human beings and admit there's a racquet difficult to play with!!!

safin
08-18-2004, 09:43 PM
Most interesting review of all time. However I found it to be an extremely powerful racquet .

LordRaceR
08-18-2004, 09:57 PM
I use Tour90, and recently tried nSix-One Tour. My experience wasn't all that bad, but at the end, I didn't like nSix-One Tour. The Tour90 just felt better. Tour90 is heavy with high swing weight and you CAN fell it and use it. nSix-One Tour is with almost the same specs, but you CAN'T really fell it and use it. I will stick to my pair of Tour 90.

BreakPoint
08-18-2004, 10:14 PM
It's interesting to note that although most of the playtesters usually use fairly heavy racquets that they all still found the nSix-One Tour to be sluggish and heavy. Even Josh who normally uses a PS 6.0 85, which spec-wise is heavier in both static and swingweight than the nSix-One Tour, still found the nSix-One Tour to be too heavy.

It really does remind me of all the complaints that people had of the Tour 90 when it first came out last year and look how long that racquet lasted on the market.

It's also interesting how many of the playtesters mentioned how much more they can appreciate the amazing talents of Roger Federer after trying to use this racquet. Could it be it's because Federer DOESN'T actually use this racquet? The paintjob conspiracy rises again!

mach1
08-18-2004, 11:15 PM
The review was kinda weird because everyone on these boards was talking about how much more maneuvarable it is compared to the older tour 90...but the playtesters had more to say that it was sluggish and hard to get around.

Radical Shot
08-19-2004, 12:44 AM
OK, that's the news I was waiting for. I am definately going to purchase a Tour 90 now - not the nCdoe.
________
toyota hilux platform specifications (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Hilux_platform)

ian mercier
08-19-2004, 05:58 AM
I too am perplexed. I played with the Tour 90 for at least 7 months and could not get (completely) adjusted to it. After switching to the HPS 6.0 95, I played the NCode and immediately found it to be the best racquet for me. It definitely felt better than the Tour 90, but I have to admit - I have probably improved a lot since originally playing the Tour 90. I've also gotten adjusted to heavier racquets. But, for whatever reason, the NCode just felt like it swung much, much lighter than the Tour 90. I just can't get around or over that fact.

BigDog
08-19-2004, 06:37 AM
Surprising review. I've played with the ncode 90 for a couple of months now and think it's a terrific racquet. Great control and plenty of power if you have long ground strokes and good form. I think the key to this racquet is proper string and tension, I use Babolat 16g natural gut @ 60lbs and no vibration dampener (more feel). My previous racquet is the original Tour 90 and I found the string bed inconsistent and the racquet frame too stiff. IMO, the ncode is better dampened and has a little more flex.

FireSon
08-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Well I too am totally flabbergasted!

That the n90 is a demanding racket is obvious. But comparing the results of the playtest of the t90 in april 2003 to the n90 show some big differences:
Groundstrokes t90: 80 --> n90: 74
Serves overheads t90: 83 --> n90: 73
Comfort t90: 78 --> n90: 68
Touch/Feel t90: 84 --> n90: 74

I really cannot understand this, based on my own experience.

Has TW changed their 'reference' for rating rackets? If they would do the t90 again would the scores be identical to the playtest in april 2003?
Maybe someone can explain the 'rules' for the determination of these scores to me...

epoc
08-19-2004, 09:56 AM
I think that if TW or the playtesters could elaborate on the differences between n90 and T90 it would help a lot, as everybody here is already familiar with the old frame.

TW Staff
08-19-2004, 11:50 AM
I can only speak for myself here, but I just did not find the groove with the nSix-One Tour 90. Even when playing well with the racquet, it just didnít feel right and I found myself thinking about the racquet too much, and not thinking about the point. I had similar issues with the ProStaff Tour 90. I found both racquets difficult to maneuver which had me perplexed as I have used heavy racquets for a long time. I liked both racquets on serve and at net, finding good stability and consistency. Overall, I thought the Tour 90 was the more comfortable of the two, with a more solid feel from most areas of the court.
In the end you have to feel comfortable with the racquet you are using and I just couldnít get there with either the Tour 90 or the nSix-One Tour 90.

Chris, TW.

CliffH
08-19-2004, 01:53 PM
I am totally shocked!

Same story: I tried for a year to use the tour90 and gave up.

I switched to the ncode90 and have never played better.

I forgot that I could even try to do things with the ball that I can do with the ncode90. More spin, touch, control. Power is up to you,
as it should be!

Best serve and volley, FH, BH, lob. What is left?

kninetik
08-19-2004, 02:34 PM
I also tried the tour 90 and found that it was very difficult to adjust to. When I tried the Ncode Tour, even though it is a challenging racquet, I felt it was more manuverable, and just a bit more forgiving (probably due to being more manuverable so I got my racquet in just a smidge faster). I feel that this racquet is definately a keeper, I just need more adjustment period.

As per my previous post, I was relieved that TW stopped with the 78-80 score range on every new racquet that was available, just forgot to mention that I love the Ncode (even though nanotech doesnt even do anything significant :roll: )

federerer
08-19-2004, 02:35 PM
I am a bit surprised at the review. Not that they didn't like it, but that it scored so poorly relative to the tour 90. Actually, it really makes me question their other reviews.

I played the tour 90 for about a year before switching to the ncode. The ncode is superior in basically every way except feel. More manuverable, more powerful, bigger sweet spot. I feel I'm unbiased as I owe both yet the tour 90 got a much more favorable review. very puzzling.

William Bedford
08-19-2004, 04:05 PM
I was suprised after reading this review. I used the tour90 since it came out only changing to the ncodes early June. Thought the ncode was better in every department really.

It really is down to the player. I wonder how many people on this board will be selling their Ncodes after reading this review. I'll bet there are some people on this board that couldnt consider playing with a frame that scored less than 75 on TW..........

NCODE95
08-19-2004, 04:33 PM
good thing i got the n-six-one 95 instead of the n-six-on tour i had demoed the the tour and it just didnt feel as well as the 95. Maybe i should have just waited for the ncoded surge but so far im lovin my racquet right now it has boosted my game up to the next level.

Xanataos
08-19-2004, 06:39 PM
I have both nCode 95 and 90. Both are my first Wilson rackets.
Played with 95, liked it. Now playing with the 90, I like it more.

I bought the 90 used from a guy who uses tour90. He told me he didn't like it but it is too headlighted and powerful. He cannot keep it inside the court with a flat ball. He had to unwillingly add topspin to keep the ball in play. So he sold it to me.

Although I am just a 3.5, I found this racket is okay for me to handle. I love the headlight because i use a western grip with a whoppy swing. Also, my net play improved a lot. I could not play this well with the LM Radical OS. Again, even though it is a heavy racket, its head light attributes this maneuverability.

I went to have a check up with my racket. The stringer told me its weight is 370g :shock: (strink wrap + string + overwrap), but with a swingweight of 327 :lol: , headlight of 13 pts.

bee65n
08-19-2004, 07:39 PM
I am a tour 90 user and just demoed the ncode 90.
I modified my tour 90 a bit so it would swing easier (8grams on handle, 2.5grams on throat)+wilson overgrip
When I got my ncode 90, I also modified it a bit to my liking (2.5grams on throat,)+wilson overgrip
Found the forehand to be pretty similar. Perhaps the ncode had just a bit more power, but was not really noticeable (luckily, the tension of the demo was just right for me. probably 55?)
For the backhand, the ncode was noticeably better. Sweetspot felt bigger on the backhand side.
The serves- again, not that big of a difference.
Volleys- :roll: not that much difference for me again

However, compared to the tour 90, the ncode felt much lighter (easier to play with if you intend to play a long match)

christo
08-19-2004, 10:33 PM
I found myself in full agreement with the TW playtesters in that both these frames are logs with marginal feel and most certainly not of the level of the old PS 85. Better to get yourself a LM Prestige Mid which does everything better than the Wilsons although the old red Prestige is a better frame than the LM. I believe that in less than 18 months n codes will be clogging the For Sale section, there just aren't that many solid 5.0 + players out there

PrestigeClassic
08-22-2004, 03:45 PM
I found this review really surprising. I thought this racket would be very well received as I thought by looking at the specs it would bridge the gap between a 90 and the 6.0 85. It is more flexible than the Tour 90 (66 vs. 68), which I thought would have been a noticeable difference. But it was never mentioned. Also, 12.4 ounces vs. 12.6 ounces, again, never mentioned. Also, I heard early on about a different weight distribution. Again, that was never mentioned. I thought this racket would swing much easier both in practice and on an RDC, what gives? It sounds like the same racket as the Tour 90, but the specs are much different as stated. Reading this review wants me to try the new one ASAP even more now, just so I can see for myself. Nevertheless, I found it very, very surprising, especially in relation to the review of the Tour 90.

Craig Clark
08-22-2004, 07:37 PM
TW nCode SixOne 90 Review....

Wow! I can't believe the poor review TW handed the nCode 90! I do have a theory-call it a 'String Theory' I'll bet it was tested w/ a stiff poly or synthetic. Just like the 6.0 85 before it, the frame is very string (and string tension) sensitive.

I hope this wasn't driven by a desire on the part of TW to prove that they are truly 'critical' in their assessments. For example, do you REALLY think the Estusa PBP Braided is EASIER to use successfully for the average player than the nCode???? Don't get me wrong-I enjoyed hitting the PBP Braided very much...BUT it is a MUCH more demanding frame than the nCode 90.

CC

BreakPoint
08-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Craig,
According to the review, the nSix-One Tours used in the playtest were strung with Wilson NXT 17 string at 57lbs (2 lbs above mid recommended tension). As you know, NXT is a pretty soft string. Definitely not a stiff poly.

Craig Clark
08-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Hi Breakpoint,

Thanks-I guess my shock caused me to miss the string type/tension as posted in the review.

Looks like I'll need to think of another theory, huh?!

How about we poll the audience? Raise your hand (or even better, post your response here) if you think the Estusa PBP Braided is a more 'user friendly' frame than the nCode SixOne 90.

CC

BreakPoint
08-22-2004, 08:27 PM
I don't think the Estusa PBB is easier to use than the nSix-One Tour, either. I also think the nSix-One Tour is easier to use than the Tour 90, but I think my usual PS 6.0 95 is easier to use than the nSix-One Tour. That's why I'm sticking with the PS 6.0 95.

Coda
08-22-2004, 08:39 PM
finally, TW doesn't jack the ratings up...I had a complete opposite playing experience, my strokes have never been better, it feels as an extension on my arm and it's just wonderful to play with.

CliffH
08-22-2004, 08:42 PM
I still am thinking about this review, in puzzlement.

As an aside, please don't insult us by saying this is Federer's actual racquet. :( (Pronounced PAINTJOB)

In fact, his actual racquet would have had a worse review, I would guess. Maybe they would have said it was better for a beginner than this actual frame :?: as they have gotten a lot of things backward in this review.

I've used all of the wilson performance frames and this is probably one of the best.

Even the April fool's review was more dead on than this review :)

The actual characteristics of this racquet that are improved over the other Wilson frames are grossly ignored by the testers or reversed, for some reason.

As some of the items are not that subjective, this does destroy the credibilty of the testers. Sad.

CliffH
08-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi Craig. I was wondering when you would see this!

You are choked up too, huh? Your review was so accurate and well read by over 2000 posters, I hope people realise TW was wrong.

This is the best racquet I have ever used. Easier than tour90, etc. It is a control oriented tournament racquet. I bought 4 frames. Feels like I have used it for years & it gets better every day.

I won my first doubles tournament after using it one week!!!!
CHOC men's 4.0 , so I'm not a 5.0+ either. Move over Federer,
TW says I shouldn't be able to do this. :shock:

I have no idea what they are talking about. Apparently it's not a misprint or joke ?????

Without more explaining, they certainly look bad.

Coda
08-22-2004, 10:33 PM
This is the best racquet I have ever used.

I have no idea what they are talking about. Apparently it's not a misprint or joke ?????

Without more explaining, they certainly look bad.

I completely agree.

Dennis Chan
08-23-2004, 01:41 PM
I believe TW testers' comments are honest. Another poster pointed out rightly that the racket might just be string sensitive. I use synthetic in one of mine and found the control is noticeably less than the one with poly. Maybe the soft NXT used in the review is just not a good match for the racket.

For me, the Ncode 90 is second only to the PS 6.0 85, and is slightly better than the PBB, Original and HPS 6.0 95.

Craig Clark
08-23-2004, 03:35 PM
I just re-read the review to refresh my memory from last night (I'd not noticed until then that TW had actually done a review, or I would have responded sooner).

All I can say is that the experience of the various TW playtesters with the nCode SixOne 90 was VERY different from my own. (BTW, historically I have consistently agreed w/ more or less everything Granville has posted concerning the various frames he has reviewed. From the playtester descriptions, I know we use similiar grips and play a similiar style).

Even more importantly, if anyone was seriously considering a demo of the n Code SixOne 90 and found themselves opting out owing to the poor review or low scores assigned it in this review, my simple suggestion would be to obtain a demo, keep an open mind, and hit it for yourself. I think you might be VERY pleasantly suprised!! :)

CC

P.S. From what many of the 3.5-4.0 players have posted here, this recommendation for a demo hit does not seem to SOLELY apply to advanced players (as frankly I might have thought)

Chanchai
08-23-2004, 04:09 PM
What I find weird... is that the TW Reviews seem like they coincide with official specs... and that would be fine in general... but a lot of people seem to have different experiences (including me).

For instance... I said this in the 200G HM vs. ROK thread, but my experience witht he 200G HM was that it was less forgiving on off center shots than the MW models of the past. I think the stiffness rating indicates that the 200G HM is less stiff(?), and the TW review seems to coincide with that.

Anyways... best way to figure a racquet (and better yet, see how it matches your strokes or helps/inspires you to improve them) is to demo it yourself and play with it (hopefully with decent strings and in good condition). I've been mixed about my experiences matching with the TW reviews. But I guess it's nice that they are there anyways. But sometimes... my imagination runs wild and I just picture somebody looking at the specs and writing a review on how they think it should play lol. Or maybe reviewers getting agood briefing or look at the specs before testing them out?

-Chanchai

touchytennis
08-24-2004, 01:39 AM
what strings are you stringing ur ncodes with? im using lux alu and supersense and it makes the sweet spot extremely small. I use a sort of windsheld wiper forehand so durablilty is why i use luxilon.

Craig Clark
08-24-2004, 05:47 AM
I've found just about every aspect of performance is improved with Babolat VS 17 guage gut at 65-70#. For durability a nice second choice is BB Ace 18 guage. CAC

ian mercier
08-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Craig,

(might sound strange) but I've been using Wilson's Enduro Tour, in various gauges. The 18 is nice, but I think the 17 is perfect. The response of this string, with the NCode, is pretty good - in my opinion.

It's funny...when I bought my Tour 90s (not NCodes), they were strung with NXT 16. Power? Nyet. When changing to a (softer) poly, I started liking the Tour better. Not enough to keep it, however (maneuverability issue).

Just a thought on the string theory.

Craig Clark
08-27-2004, 02:16 PM
That's an interesting thoght. I've not tried Wilson Enduro. Is it a poly of some sort? I have had the impression that the perception of a lack of power and/or a small sweet spot w/ this frame might be driven by use of a stiffer string than is ideal. Even when strung at 70# w/ Babolat VS gut 17 guage, I find the nCode VERY powerful (much more so than the Tour 90) and certainly have no trouble finding the sweetspot. Again, it seems my experiences were SO different than those of the TW playtesters. CC

Chanchai
09-01-2004, 01:45 AM
I finally tried out the nCode Tour 90 for a bit (not a lot). Thought I'd share my thoughts since a while back, I did say that a local retailer told me that the nCode 90 was a paintjob of the Tour 90....

So my thoughts... It's definitely a different racquet. At least compared to the US Tour 90. It's swingweight and overall weight actually felt lighter to me than the Tour 90 (btw, I do have and use a tour 90). The biggest difference is exactly what others have said--it doesn't feel so much mushy plow-through as the Tour 90. "POPPY" is the perfect word. You feel like the ball is just popping off of the stringbed.

My friend who demo'd the racquet thought it was too heavy. He said it was wearing out his wrist. For the record, he uses an old Wilson Pro Staff 5.8, which is supposedly rare and was only available in Japan--he's from Japan. It looks a lot like the 6.1, normal body length. I personally thought it felt quite light, definitely lighter than the Tour 90 (as well as the Spalding Pancho Gonzalez wood racquet I was using before I used the nCode).

As far as I could tell, this was a less demanding racquet than the Tour 90. I'm happy hitting with both, but I felt I had more spin on the Tour 90. Directional control felt similar, but spin and pop were definitely different (nCode = less spin, more pop. Tour 90 = more spin, less pop, mushy feel on clean hit).

-Chanchai

Radical Shot
09-02-2004, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the post Chanchai. These are exactly the qualities of the Tour 90 that I like, and would make me stay with the Tour 90 over the nCode.
________
rolls-royce twenty (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Twenty)