PDA

View Full Version : OK. . . Why do you LOVE Lendl?

max
12-21-2006, 07:00 AM
For me, he's like blue cheese. Takes a while to appreciate. I am impressed with Lendl simply because of his work ethic. Some folks say you're simply "born" to do whatever you do, others say you have to develop yourself. Lendl developed himself from a modest player (top 100) to a superlative player. He took advantage of the tools he had.

I hated watching him fall apart during the early years. But his hard work paid off. He became competitive. He, with Martina, raised the bar and has helped tennis become a more athletic endeavor.

At least that's my simple take on it.

Mick
12-21-2006, 07:14 AM
because he got fantastic groundstrokes.

jamumafa
12-21-2006, 07:17 AM
Smacking McEnroe with a ball. that was funny

Also, when he beat Mac in the FO even though Mac spat the dummy

LttlElvis
12-21-2006, 08:08 AM
You have to appreciate his work ethic and fitness. A lot of respect for him totally concentrating his game to try to win Wimbledon. Even though he didn't, he finally realized how important Wimbledon was for his tennis legacy.

He is probably the precursor to today's game: Big athletically fit guy. Big serve. Big groundstrokes.

Rabbit
12-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I love him because he's European. Condi?

Sagittar
12-21-2006, 10:46 AM
yeah !! why do you??
i know i dont

civic
12-21-2006, 10:59 AM
cause he was such a bad boy on the court

sypl
12-21-2006, 12:40 PM
90% first serve percentage. Gotta love that.

renhoek
12-21-2006, 01:12 PM
He was the “Terminator” on the court.

Colpo
12-21-2006, 02:20 PM
When I was learning the game in the early 80's, as much as I loved McEnroe, whatever tennis raw material I had gravitated much more naturally to Ivan's power baseline game. World Tennis magazine had a neat instructional feature then - they'd profile a pro's money strokes using a sequence of 5-6 photos of the stroke to really break it down. Three of these strokes that I clearly remember and tried to copy were Lendl's FH, BH and 2nd serve. I just had little feel for flat groundies, don't know why, and Lendl's playing style gave me a good alternative that also allowed you to hit hard.

blubber
12-21-2006, 02:52 PM
I love a player with a mean streak. Players like Blake and Roddick are too nice. What kind of crap was that at the masters with Blake genuflecting to Federrer. I'm all for good sportsmanship but show me some meaness within the rules of play. Lendel would have sent a ball at Federrer's head to send him a message.

ohlori
12-21-2006, 02:59 PM
He had a certain mystique, and did have some talent because he was a junior world champion.
I liked the nitpicking, e.g. his mineral water had to be at the right temperature. A bit clownesque at times.
I like some anecdotes, namely that he ripped Pat Cash's shoes to pieces, and invited Sampras to train with him. Sampras could hardly walk afterwards.

dpfrazier
12-21-2006, 03:18 PM
I love a player with a mean streak. Players like Blake and Roddick are too nice. What kind of crap was that at the masters with Blake genuflecting to Federrer. I'm all for good sportsmanship but show me some meaness within the rules of play. Lendel would have sent a ball at Federrer's head to send him a message.
I agree, we need some guys like Lendl or Connors to shake things up a bit on the men's tour. Someone who won't back down against Federer or Nadal.

But I think Roddick is now developing this type of attitude, with help from Connors...

drakulie
12-21-2006, 03:48 PM
He was the “Terminator” on the court.

Ditto. total focus in crushing his opponent.

The Gorilla
12-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Ditto. total focus in crushing his opponent.

you are too young to have watched lendl,you are 19,this is pathetic.

drakulie
12-21-2006, 04:36 PM
you are too young to have watched lendl,you are 19,this is pathetic.

LOL, this is the second time you say I'm 19. You have to be the funniest inmate in this asylum. Where did you get your information on my age?

GRANITECHIEF
12-21-2006, 04:44 PM
LOL, this is the second time you say I'm 19. You have to be the funniest inmate in this asylum. Where did you get your information on my age?

Maybe he means centimeters? LOL!

drakulie
12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Maybe he means centimeters? LOL!

LOL. Maybe, but this guys compass is definitely not working.

OrangeOne
12-21-2006, 04:57 PM
So many reasons:
- Professional approach
- Dedication to fitness changed the game towards what it is today
- THAT forehand
- And the backhand ;)
- Dry wit that casually outsmarted reporters
- Execution of the 'winning ugly' concept - when he had to - well before Brad Gilbert's marketing team came up with it ;)
- The effort he went to in trying to win Wimbledon, and the fact that he is probably (by many) the most underrated grass-court player of all time
- The fact that he had a long career with a perfect span that meant he played many of the legends of the last 30 years..
- I'm sure there's more.

Sure - I was a big Lendl fan, he was the player I looked up to as a kid....

rasajadad
12-22-2006, 05:31 AM
Sorry, all. But all I've read in this thread is:
Why you don't hate Lendl
Why you appreciate Lendl

IMO he was the perfect foil for so many top players in his day. I've been to a lot of his matches. Everyone appreciated him. Nobody LOVED him.

sunflowerhx
12-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Only one reason needed - he used an Adidas racket and that was cool. Followed by the Mizuno stick which was also cool.

Seriously I don't understand why he is so under appreciated.
Nobody can get to 8 conservative US Open finals without outstanding talent - his work ethic was just the icing on the cake.

I don't think he lack charisma but rather he choose to shun the limelight off the court. The same could be said of other forgotten champions like Wilander, Courier and in some respect Edberg.

sypl
12-22-2006, 08:12 AM
As one of the top 5 players to ever play the game, he's certainly underappreciated.

oberyn
12-22-2006, 11:43 AM
I always rooted for Lendl. At first it was because: (1) everyone else I knew seemed to root against him; and (2) I despised John McEnroe during the early 80s.

The 1984 French Open Final turned me into a Lendl-lover. I was 11 years old, and watched the first set-and-a-half before I had to leave for church. I was sure that Lendl had lost yet another Grand Slam final. Imagine my surprise when I returned from church to find that the match was now 3-3 in the fifth set.

sypl
12-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Because he looks like Stan from American Dad?

http://www.travelgolf.com/images/lend1.jpghttp://pressthebuttons.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/americandad.gif

tennisboy87
12-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Because of his work ethic.

tennis playa
12-25-2006, 09:01 AM
You have to appreciate his work ethic and fitness. A lot of respect for him totally concentrating his game to try to win Wimbledon. Even though he didn't, he finally realized how important Wimbledon was for his tennis legacy.

He is probably the precursor to today's game: Big athletically fit guy. Big serve. Big groundstrokes.

Yeah I agree,he and Jose Luis Clerc were the first 'brute force' guys of the modern era i.e big 1st serves big forehands

civic
12-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Because he was the complete antithesis of McEnroe, and demonstrated the way it should be done.