PDA

View Full Version : Which should I try first?

boxingguy
12-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Just received a big bag of poly strings I ordered from TW! I'm really excited because I have hardly any life outside of stringing my racquets and playing tennis!

I'm going to string one up tomorrow night and play Saturday. Which should I string first?

Luxilon BB Alu Power Rough
Signum Pro Poly Plasma
Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour (leaning towards this one cuz I opened the neat plastic case it comes in and it exploded out of there like those joke snakes in a can and now I can't get it back in)
Topspin Cyber Flash
Wilson Enduro Pro
Kirschbaum Super Smash Spiky
Unique Tourna Poly Big Hitter

ajaxman
12-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Alu Power, it is an amazig string

BigServer1
12-22-2006, 01:39 AM
Just received a big bag of poly strings I ordered from TW! I'm really excited because I have hardly any life outside of stringing my racquets and playing tennis!

I'm going to string one up tomorrow night and play Saturday. Which should I string first?

Luxilon BB Alu Power Rough
Signum Pro Poly Plasma
Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour (leaning towards this one cuz I opened the neat plastic case it comes in and it exploded out of there like those joke snakes in a can and now I can't get it back in)
Topspin Cyber Flash
Wilson Enduro Pro
Kirschbaum Super Smash Spiky
Unique Tourna Poly Big Hitter

I think that the PHT is a good one to start with. I am hitting it now (in a hybrid with gut) and I like it a lot. You have a ton of good poly there though, and you should be in business for quite a while. Have fun!

diredesire
12-22-2006, 06:58 AM
You got some good choices in that list. Just string up the PHT if you've already opened it. For reference, next time, just jab a hole in the back with an awl. You can grab at the string end to get it out. This unravels nicely, and it doesn't tangle up into a birds nest. You need to peel the sticker off, though, which is kind of a hassle, but due to the design of the case (no easy way to grab the coil before it explodes) this is the easiest way to do it.

Cheers, DD

rasajadad
12-22-2006, 07:52 AM
You got some good choices in that list. Just string up the PHT if you've already opened it. For reference, next time, just jab a hole in the back with an awl. You can grab at the string end to get it out. This unravels nicely, and it doesn't tangle up into a birds nest. You need to peel the sticker off, though, which is kind of a hassle, but due to the design of the case (no easy way to grab the coil before it explodes) this is the easiest way to do it.

Cheers, DD

Nice tip! Are there any more "Secrets to Stringing" you might share?
(My apologies to the OP!)

diredesire
12-22-2006, 08:02 AM
Nice tip! Are there any more "Secrets to Stringing" you might share?
(My apologies to the OP!)

I'm sure there is something that I know that I could share, but nothing comes to mind right away. I'm going to attempt to free up a little time for stringing tutorials/help next quarter :)

Ill be taking a course load that isn't incredibly imperative to my intended major... ;)

boxingguy
12-22-2006, 08:53 PM

Cheers, DD

I'm going to string up the PHT. Thanks for the tip about the case. I never would have figured that out in a million years. I would have spent the rest of my life being attacked by Babolat string each time I wanted to use it!

The case seems kind of too nice to just throw away. Plus it doesn't look terribly biodegradable. Anyone have any ideas on how to reuse these?

boxingguy
12-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Hmmm, On the package sticker it says recommended tension 74 Lbs. Are they serious? I string my Lux BB Alu Power at 57-59, and I think that's on the high side.

boxingguy
12-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Hmmm, On the package sticker it says recommended tension 74 Lbs. Are they serious? I string my Lux BB Alu Power at 57-59, and I think that's on the high side.

Never mind, I just saw the note on TW, "Please note incorrect recommended tension may be on back of packet. Actual recommended tension is 53-62lbs."

I'm just going to do the same tension I do with Lux bb alu power.

diredesire
12-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Never mind, I just saw the note on TW, "Please note incorrect recommended tension may be on back of packet. Actual recommended tension is 53-62lbs."

I'm just going to do the same tension I do with Lux bb alu power.

Same tension is probably the way to go :)

If you are dying to reuse the plastic case, whenever you hybrid a string job (which might not be often in your case) you can just re-wind the half set of whatever string back into the case, it should hold well. I tell myself to do this, but never end up bothering.

boxingguy
12-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Just played four sets with PHT. I like! I would say it's a smidgeon softer than LUx BB Alu Power, and a smidgeon spinnier.

I forgot to mention the reason why I'm trying all these different polys is to see if I can find one I like better than Alu Power (and preferably cheaper), which I've been using and enjoying for the past couple months.

So I would say that if the PHT plays well for a few more sets, then it will rank above Alu Power.

TEAM ZERO
12-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour[/B] (leaning towards this one cuz I opened the neat plastic case it comes in and it exploded out of there like those joke snakes in a can and now I can't get it back in)
[/B]

I've done that before too!!! lol But the Hurricane tour is really good strings! It gives good bite of the ball allowing really good spin. One issue i found was the stiffness that caused pain in my elbow after a week of playing. But i play tennis mostly everyday for at least 3 hours in an academy so i am trying out different hybrids but I havent gotten the same result as the hurricane tour by itself. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Ljubicic for number1
12-27-2006, 11:15 PM
I would use all that other stuff first and keep the best for last "the cyber flash" because once you try it the other stuff probably wont get used. Or you could just use the cyber first and then sell the oter stuff off;)

OK.
12-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Go with the Alu Power Strings very good and nice to play with :D I'm jealous of ya strings... nice collection! :)

boxingguy
12-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Went a set of doubles and a set of singles with the PHT tonight. Still liking it. Now I have to try to break one of my Alu Powers so I can try another string.

Hmmm, interesting suggestion, ljubicic. Maybe I will save cyber flash for last.
Think I'll try one of the cheapies next, Enduro Pro or Unique Tourna Poly.

Richie Rich
12-28-2006, 05:39 AM
i think you'll find enduro pro loses tension very quickly, same with super smash.

big hitter and cyberflash are the closest strings to alu power. my nod going to cyberflash.

sppp is a great string. i hit with it last night and it felt great. not stiff, good spin and control, and good power (contrarary to some others on the boards i don't find it low powered at all).

overall, as DD wrote earlier, you picked some good strings. if you want alu at a cheaper price go with cyberflash. but who knows - out all of those strings you may find something you like better.

boxingguy
12-31-2006, 09:05 PM
Busted an Alu Power yesterday, so I get to try a new poly. Think I'll do the cheapies next, Unique Big Hitter and Wilson Enduro Pro. They look and feel exactly the same. Unique says Made in Germany and Enduro says Made in UK.

xtremerunnerars
12-31-2006, 10:05 PM
I opened my pack up too. Blew up all over the place, and now it's just kinda sitting there lol.

Once i get stringing a little more I will try it.

boxingguy
12-31-2006, 11:49 PM
I opened my pack up too. Blew up all over the place, and now it's just kinda sitting there lol.

Santa: Ho, ho, ho! And what would you like for Christmas, young man?

Ralphie: I want an Official 16 gauge Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour monofilament polyester with ocatagonal profile designed for max spin and power!

Santa: You'll put your eye out, kid.

Bottle Rocket
12-31-2006, 11:56 PM
Would you mind telling us your playing level and type of game?

You've got all the popular strings, I am very interested in what you discover.

So far in my experience, if you need the absolute best performance possible, Luxilon ALU for about 5 hours does the trick. Nothing even comes close. It is also extremely durable, but not as much as the lower powered poly's like the Luxilon Original and SPPP.

If true longevity, durability, and consistancy is your thing, the Signum Pro Poly Plasma is the way to go.

Keep us updated!

OK.
01-01-2007, 01:38 AM
How are ya finding the ALU? :D

boxingguy
01-01-2007, 01:51 AM
Would you mind telling us your playing level and type of game?

Keep us updated!

I play in the 4.0 league, but I like to think of myself as 5.0 women's level.

I'm strictly a singles baseliner. When I am forced to approach the net, spectators call out, "DEAD MAN WALKING ON THE GREEN MILE!"

I strung the Enduro Pro tonight, gonna hit tomorrow morning :cool: .

boxingguy
01-01-2007, 02:00 AM
How are ya finding the ALU? :D

Like the Alu Power quite a bit. The sensation is that I can crash the racquet into the ball and still have it land in the court with good pop. Been playing with it for a couple months. I've tried it full, and crossed with PSGduraflex 16 and Eagnas Synthetic Gut II 16. Think I might like the full setup better.

But Alu Power is the most expensive poly, so I'm trying to find another poly which I might like just as well or better for less money. That's why I bought all these polys :) .

boxingguy
01-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Finally got to hit today after an insane week. First time I haven't hit for over a week in about forever. Close to shooting myself!

Anyway, was finally able to give that Enduro Pro a test drive. Ehhhh . . . It was okay, but, when I went back to the PHT, I could definitely feel a difference. Hard to explain exactly what was wrong with Enduro. I guess the PHT was less harsh, but the proof was in the shots. Definitely more control with the PHT. . . Felt like more power as well . . . Again, hard to describe or explain, but I was just hitting better shots with the PHT.

So, PHT is still number one. I think I'm going to pass on the Unique Tourna Poly because it looks and feels exactly like Enduro, and try one of the sexier strings next. SPPP or Super Smash Spiky.