PDA

View Full Version : Bad League Playing Experiences

Cindysphinx
12-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Hey, it might be interesting to compare notes on very worst league playing experiences.

As I mentioned on another thread, I was on a spring 3.0 2006 team that lost 0-11 matches. We lost four matches 0-5, and we lost five matches 1-4. I did my part by losing all five of my matches. One-third of the team consisted of 2.5 players who were playing up at 3.0.

Our captain became increasingly frustrated and took to complaining directly and loudly to other captains that their computer-rated players were too good and shouldn't be playing 3.0. This caused tense moments in the viewing area, to put it mildly.

Despite the fact that we needed all the practice we could get, few players came to practice. This was because practice times kept changing week-to-week. Sometimes Saturday mornings, sometimes Saturday afternoons, sometimes cancelled.

Also driving down practice attendance was that players were expected to pay the captain $10 for each practice they attended. The captain did a bit of coaching, so it was only fair that he be compensated, he said. This requirement wasn't revealed until after players had committed to the team.

When ratings were adjusted in Nov. 2007, three of our 3.0 players were actually dropped from 3.0 to 2.5. You don't see *that* everyday.

Needless to say, the team won't be together for 2007!

LttlElvis
12-22-2006, 06:57 AM
Sorry to here your experiences. League tennis can be so much fun. I would blame your bad experiences on your captain. Most leagues I have seen have a set practice time weekly. Ours is Thursday nights @ 7:00. Always looking forward to it and no surprises. Also you had a 3.0 captain charging everyone $10 for coaching per practice? I would hate that. What are you going to learn from a 3.0 player? We would sometimes bring in one of the club pros to drill us and pay him. I can't imagine paying someone on my same level.

slewisoh
12-22-2006, 07:07 AM
I guess what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...:p

I can't believe the captain expected to be compensated for providing expertise. Those ladies who moved down should have asked for a refund!

I've had very good league experiences. Nice teams, good team mates, mostly nice opponents.

I only had one match where it was obvious the opponent was making terrible calls. That one got ugly because we finally decided the only way to ensure she didn't call the ball out was to nail her. We did pummel the tar out of her but eventually lost our cool and the match. Told her afterward that she was a good enough player to win without cheating. Don't you know that she beat us again later in the season - and didn't make one call. Really enjoyable match, even though we lost the 3rd set tiebreaker.

goober
12-22-2006, 07:10 AM
Your captain charged $10/person a practice ?!?! I would have quit the team right there. I wouldn't pay anybody for a team practice unless it were run by a teaching pro. I certainly would not if they were on my same level.

If the other team had computer ratings not self ratings, than your captain should actually question the level of his own players and whether they should be playing 2.5 instead?

Cindysphinx
12-22-2006, 07:19 AM
He's a 4.0 adult and senior player, and I guess he used to teach for a while. So he considered himself a captain/coach.

But not a very good one. We spent a big chunk of one practice with him trying to teach me how to hit a 1hbh. Like most women of my level, I hit a 2hbh, and it is my stronger shot. I didn't see the point of trying to change something so fundamental and turning a strong shot into a weak one -- just in time for the competitive season.

raiden031
12-22-2006, 07:46 AM
He's a 4.0 adult and senior player, and I guess he used to teach for a while. So he considered himself a captain/coach.

But not a very good one. We spent a big chunk of one practice with him trying to teach me how to hit a 1hbh. Like most women of my level, I hit a 2hbh, and it is my stronger shot. I didn't see the point of trying to change something so fundamental and turning a strong shot into a weak one -- just in time for the competitive season.

So you can be a captain without necessarily being an eligible player for the league? I didn't know that. That is lame that he would even try to convert someone from a 2hbh to a 1hbh when it is quite obvious at the pro level that you can have success with either one. It is also lame that he charges you all money to come to practice.

LttlElvis
12-22-2006, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE=Cindysphinx;1129017]He's a 4.0 adult and senior player, and I guess he used to teach for a while. So he considered himself a captain/coach.
QUOTE]

Cindy, thanks for clarifying that. Makes a big difference. Perhaps you should consider being the team captain and try keeping the team together. With time all of you will improve, and it is more fun keeping a core group of people that you enjoy going through the tough times. If you keep to a routine team practice shedule, everyone will come. They will work around their schedule to make it. Also, hire a club pro for group lessons and drills.

raiden031
12-22-2006, 08:07 AM
Cindy,

I know who you are now. I was actually looking at your league because one of my teammates for the winter mix is also going to be playing in the same league as you in the winter. I actually want to be her partner because she is really good, but I'm not sure what my captain will decide.

Cindysphinx
12-22-2006, 08:26 AM
So, uh, we might play each other in 7.0 mixed, Raiden?

:gulp:

Tell you what. When you beat me like a rug, don't tell anyone here, 'kay? :D

raiden031
12-22-2006, 08:28 AM
So, uh, we might play each other in 7.0 mixed, Raiden?

:gulp:

Tell you what. When you beat me like a rug, don't tell anyone here, 'kay? :D

No. A player on my team in a different league is also playing in your league. But I pity you if you go up against her because she is better than the average 3.0 male in my opinion.

jamauss
12-22-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm captain of a Men's 4.0 USTA team here in the Phoenix, AZ area and we're like...0-6 or something. Our team has only won 2 matches this year (they were both doubles matches).

This is our first year together as a team (and doubles partners) so I think we're still getting used to playing together (most of us have zero or limited doubles experience) compared to the teams we're playing; they seem to have played together for a while.

I don't think winning or losing should be the point of playing in a USTA league though. Go out to have fun and improve your game. If you're the uber-competitive type I would suggest looking around for tournaments.

sureshs
12-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Also driving down practice attendance was that players were expected to pay the captain $10 for each practice they attended. The captain did a bit of coaching, so it was only fair that he be compensated, he said.

What a character! Such reports and the sandbagging threads have made me very wary of leagues. Hopefully, these people are few and far between.

goober
12-22-2006, 05:25 PM
I'm captain of a Men's 4.0 USTA team here in the Phoenix, AZ area and we're like...0-6 or something. Our team has only won 2 matches this year (they were both doubles matches).

This is our first year together as a team (and doubles partners) so I think we're still getting used to playing together (most of us have zero or limited doubles experience) compared to the teams we're playing; they seem to have played together for a while.

I don't think winning or losing should be the point of playing in a USTA league though. Go out to have fun and improve your game. If you're the uber-competitive type I would suggest looking around for tournaments.

Your doubles team can improve by playing in some 4.0 tourneys together or even some non USTA doubles leagues. Alot of your oppenents do this year round since I know a lot of them :) You are right that many of them have played together for a long time and are like well-oiled machines working together.

I still have had no urge to play doubles so I don't. :p