PDA

View Full Version : nylon????

th____44
12-22-2006, 12:22 PM
does anyone here use or have used plain nylon????
i mean....prince tournament nylon for example....
have you hybrid it????
how does it feels????

ChicagoJack
12-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Syngut... Multi.... call it what you will, the primary ingredient in most of these strings is nylon. If it's not poly, gut or kevlar, chances are it is nylon. There is also a growing number of nylons using blends of zyex or polyolefin.

-Jack

Richard Parnell
12-22-2006, 12:40 PM
A basic nylon tends to be made using PA6 and the more advanced synthetics PA66. Tension maintenance and durability are the main differences between the two.
All the best,
Richard

th____44
12-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Syngut... Multi.... call it what you will, the primary ingredient in most of these strings is nylon. If it's not poly, gut or kevlar, chances are it is nylon. There is also a growing number of nylons using blends of zyex or polyolefin.

-Jack

yeah....but i mean....
have you ever played with basic nylon????
non syn.gut (i know they''re the same)....just basic nylon....

ChicagoJack
12-22-2006, 01:00 PM
yeah....but i mean....
have you ever played with basic nylon????
non syn.gut (i know they''re the same)....just basic nylon....

I do get what you re asking but..... what the manufacturer chooses to call it makes no dif to me. If there happens to be the word "nylon" on the package or not, the primary ingredient is still nylon. I know this is not how you see it, but this is the reality of the market place. Your terms "plain nylon", or "basic nylon" don't really mean anything, other than the manufacturer is has chosen to put the word on the packaging. ( need to mention again Zyex and Polyolefin are working their way into the nylon world )

[..]....................

Quote: "Nylon - synthetic gut or nylon? Truth be told, synthetic gut is nylon. In fact, most of today’s “performance synthetics” are constructed of nylon, albeit a higher grade than basic nylon string. Today’s manufacturing processes produce nylon strings (or synthetic gut, if you insist) that provide a good combination of playability and durability. In the old days (wood racquet era), any self-respecting player used natural gut. Nylon was so bad that only beginners used the stuff. Today, 98% of non-professional players use nylon strings. It’s that much better.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/String/StringReference.html

-Jack

th____44
12-22-2006, 01:04 PM
I do get what you re asking but..... what the manufacturer chooses to call it makes no dif to me. If there happens to be the word "nylon" on the package or not, the primary ingredient is still nylon. I know this is not how you see it, but this is the reality of the market place.

[..]....................

Quote: "Nylon - synthetic gut or nylon? Truth be told, synthetic gut is nylon. In fact, most of today’s “performance synthetics” are constructed of nylon, albeit a higher grade than basic nylon string. Today’s manufacturing processes produce nylon strings (or synthetic gut, if you insist) that provide a good combination of playability and durability. In the old days (wood racquet era), any self-respecting player used natural gut. Nylon was so bad that only beginners used the stuff. Today, 98% of non-professional players use nylon strings. It’s that much better.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/String/StringReference.html

-Jack

no....you didn't get it....
i'm just asking if you hvae played with basic nylon....i know about that sht that all syn.guts are nylon based....but i'm just asking,for god's sake....if you've ever played with basi nylon....i mean...strings like this....

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACGOSEN-PFTUFF16NA.html

ChicagoJack
12-22-2006, 01:26 PM
You are likely to get responses that are just as specific as your question is.
good luck.
- Cj

Valjean
12-22-2006, 02:23 PM
It plays fine--good feel and liveliness--for about four days. But there are tradeoffs, like Richard said. Do you like thick strings, for example.

FWIW, Toalson's Leoina 66 is a basic nylon local tournament players frequently swear by, and Ashaway's Liberty, a true 16 gauge even, has several supporters on this board.

th____44
12-22-2006, 04:20 PM
You are likely to get responses that are just as specific as your question is.
good luck.
- Cj

whatever....forget it....

thanks anyway....

diredesire
12-22-2006, 05:50 PM
I've played with it. It is decent. I like Gosen's Pro Form Tuff. Plays pretty crisp, gets good spin. Now, is it right for you? That's probably the question you should be asking.

xtremerunnerars
12-22-2006, 06:07 PM
tournament nylon is the worst string on the planet. I would rather weave wicker through my racquet.

Midlife crisis
12-22-2006, 11:53 PM
does anyone here use or have used plain nylon????
i mean....prince tournament nylon for example....
have you hybrid it????
how does it feels????

I bought some of the Prince tournament nylon when I first got my stringer, just to use it to practice stringing with. I went and hit with it and found that it had a greasy feel that went away after about 30 minutes, and then it played pretty similar to PSG, only maybe a little mushier and with a little less power. It's not a bad string, and especially not for the price. I later did an emergency restringing for someone who normally uses PSGD with the prince tournament nylon, only I string it a couple of pounds tighter than normal. The player, about a 4.0 level, said it played a lot like PSGD once it broke in. It lasted longer than his normal string, and only later when I told him what it was did he find reasons to not like it.

eunjam
12-23-2006, 12:08 AM
tournament nylon is the worst string on the planet. I would rather weave wicker through my racquet.

being slightly sarcastic, because i'm sure that really isn't the case.

basic nylon is good for a few hours.

xtremerunnerars
12-23-2006, 08:55 AM
i really did hate that string. what are the positives?

snoflewis
12-23-2006, 09:09 AM
i really did hate that string. what are the positives?

it's cheap...lol

some people aren't as sensitive as others when it comes to string

damasta55
12-23-2006, 09:44 AM
prince tournament nylon - still has one outerwrap just like every other syn gut out there. its just the main core is mostly nylon, without the extra materials companies put in. so basocally nylon is syn gut

Voltron
12-23-2006, 09:52 AM
prince tournament nylon - still has one outerwrap just like every other syn gut out there. its just the main core is mostly nylon, without the extra materials companies put in. so basocally nylon is syn gut

Yes, we know, Chicago Jack already said that. Nylon is OK, I guess its good for the price.

Kirko
12-23-2006, 10:13 AM
I've used it and it was okay. It was crisp and durable for about 8 to 10 days for me. This when I played at least 2 hours a day. I switched to prince syn. gut 17 gauge in 1983 and have been using it since. I use the regular syn. gut without dura-flex. I tried the dura-flex blend once and found it "flat" & stiff, not the "crisp" feel of the orginal.

tennis_hand
12-23-2006, 09:52 PM
synthetic gut is just nylon. period.

th____44
12-24-2006, 05:34 AM
synthetic gut is just nylon. period.

whe now that....we were talking about "nylon"....
forget it....you'll never understand....

PBODY99
12-24-2006, 02:29 PM
I string for a pair of 4.5 League players who don't like anything else. They aren't looking for a lot from their string bed, just a consistent hit. Since they don't swing like the "modern " players, Poly is lost on them. They also break multi's quickly so for the price..............

I string one player who uses plain nylon as the crosses in his gut hybrid.
I will use it as the crosses in a young player who is burning out other nylon composites, since I worry about the long term effects of full poly jobs on developing joints\players.