PDA

View Full Version : Do you squeeze the grip for you heavy forehand?

splink779
08-18-2004, 08:23 PM
When you really want to smack a fast topspin forhand do you keep your grip loose, or squeeze the grip tightly? I used to stay loose, but it took from my power and hurt my wrist after several hits.

Federer_Express
08-18-2004, 08:25 PM
I think the rule of thumb is holding the racquet like you would hold an egg. Not to tight to break it, but just firm enough so it won't fall out of your hands.

Rickson
08-18-2004, 08:37 PM
I hold the grip tighter on serve returns, but I usually loosen up more on groundstrokes.

Bungalo Bill
08-18-2004, 09:55 PM
I hold the grip tighter on serve returns, but I usually loosen up more on groundstrokes.

I the same as Rickson for grips to use when returning serve and groundstrokes. But the analogy of the first poster is good. I also use the bird in the hand analogy. Same thing.

Kobble
08-18-2004, 10:12 PM
I find that I get more speed with a looser grip.

lendl lives
08-20-2004, 08:56 AM
watching roddick alot lately has got me thinking...(i may be way off though lol)....it looks to me like he is revolutionizing not only the service motion but the fh motion as well. it seems to me that when he goes for a big fh he tries to hit something like a "serve fh". it looks like he cracks the whip on those fh's like he does on the serve. so it would seem to me you would need to be loose.

Bungalo Bill
08-20-2004, 12:12 PM
watching roddick alot lately has got me thinking...(i may be way off though lol)....it looks to me like he is revolutionizing not only the service motion but the fh motion as well. it seems to me that when he goes for a big fh he tries to hit something like a "serve fh". it looks like he cracks the whip on those fh's like he does on the serve. so it would seem to me you would need to be loose.

Ummm, yeah seeing film that way is a bit deceiving. Roddick does the basics very well, just a lot lot faster and more consistant then most of us. :)

His serve motion outside of doing it within his own body movements is not anything new! There is nothing "new" about his serve motion, there is nothing different about his forehand. He has a certain style to it but the motion, how he strikes the ball is not magically different.

Pros can afford a slightly looser hand but it isnt that much and when you watch the pros hit on TV you really dont have the ability to break down the stroke. It looks very whippy and free flowing when in fact it is a very disciplined stroke.

They have hit that stroke so many times that it is engrained. This is not so with the club player. A club player is always "trying" the next thing they see a pro do that they think they need to do. Case in point, hitting the ball thorugh your legs. Never mind it is an extremly low percentage shot, some players just have to learn it because they saw "someone" else do it.

They go from one pro to another. "I want to hit like Roddick", "I want to hit like Federer". It is nice to have heros and models but the bottom-line is you're going to have to spend a lot more time on the courts working hard then you probably would want to do in order to develop their smooth consistant effortless strokes for all kinds of balls!

For now, master low to high and go through the ball! Keep the wrist firm and the grip firm but not in a death grip and things will happen. Just have to be patient.