PDA

View Full Version : how much tension does a string lose overnight?

aroddick
12-23-2006, 04:56 PM
How much tension will a string lose overnight?

I will use string savers. Lets say I put on the string savers a night after the stringing is complete. My string is T x-1 biphase 16. I use a W-4 racquet.

And all x1one biphase users tell me what tension you strung it at?

SEE PAGE TWO.

mctennis
12-23-2006, 05:35 PM
usually the synthetics lose 10%

Sagittar
12-23-2006, 05:40 PM
natural gut probably won't last through the night :D

Richie Rich
12-24-2006, 05:06 AM
the TW review says x-1 will lose 9% tension in 24 hours.

aroddick
12-24-2006, 04:30 PM
9%, wow guys thanks alot. If you got more info tell me know soon. Before i string.

aroddick
12-24-2006, 04:32 PM
If i want my string tenison to be 58, should i have it be strung at 63.

aroddick
12-24-2006, 04:39 PM
How much tension does x-one biphase lose with string savers

heycal
12-24-2006, 05:07 PM
natural gut probably won't last through the night :D

I thought gut was good at holding tension...

Richie Rich
12-24-2006, 07:08 PM

keep in mind tension is only a number. the real tension of what you feel comfortable with varies greatly depending on string, racquet, stringing machine, clamps, etc.

x-1 biphase at 63 might be a bit boardy when you hit with it first time. if i were you i'd go with a gentle pre stretch and string it at 60 and see how you like it. then go up or down from there.

VGP
12-24-2006, 09:50 PM

that's the difference between reference tension and "actual" tension

Richie Rich
12-25-2006, 05:16 AM
that's the difference between reference tension and "actual" tension

that's what i meant. :mrgreen:

slapshot1540
12-25-2006, 07:35 AM
just dont use the freakin W4

barry
12-25-2006, 09:59 AM
How much tension will a string lose overnight?

I will use string savers. Lets say I put on the string savers a night after the stringing is complete. My string is T x-1 biphase 16. I use a W-4 racquet.

And all x1one biphase users tell me what tension you strung it at?

Good article on tension loss.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200609/200609stringselector.html

aroddick
12-25-2006, 11:54 AM
I am totally lost.
here is the thing -
I want my string tension to be 57 at the time i put the string savers on. I will wait a 24 hours before putting on the string savers. SO how much should i string it at? And the last question is, how much do you loose tension with string savers? i am a hard hitter and a heavy topspin on everything.

what do you mean by actual and reference tension? (thanks for being a big a help)

lude popper
12-25-2006, 12:38 PM
The USRSA has put out alot of good intel on this -- much of it bandied about on these boards. Strings start to lose tension the minute they are installed. They lose roughly 10% overnight. They lose a little bit with each passing minute and even more with each stroke. I use string savers as well, with a reference tension of 62lbs.

After 24 hrs, my last string bed RDC'd at 66 (the RDC machine tests overall stiffness with a disc that performs a resistance compression in the center of the string bed). Regardless,after 15hours of hitting, I was in the upper 40s (and I wasn't using a mushy multi). You get the picture? Tension goes down.

TalkingTennis91
12-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Good Lord, people. You guys have got to relax! You're all going to give yourselves nosebleeds worrying over this crap. If you want your strings at 58, have them strung at 58. There's no way that it could make such a huge difference in your game.;)

aroddick
12-25-2006, 01:55 PM
I will just string it at 62 or 60. I dont know which one. The thing is l love power, but dont want my shots sailing. So i strung it at 60 the tension when i put the string savers on will be 54. And for 62 it will be 57 when i put the savers on. I am leaning towards 62.

HELP ME.

the new new york
12-25-2006, 02:24 PM
none of us are roger federer. does it really matter if we lose a pound our 2 overnight?

aroddick
12-25-2006, 02:44 PM
hey 6 or 5 pounds can change a lot

Steve Huff
12-25-2006, 04:12 PM
This will probably confuse aroddick even more, but here goes anyway....
The reference tension is the tension that the machine is set at. Any 2 machines set at the same tension, say 57#, could produce different actual tensions. Each machine is different, some more different than others. 2 well-calibrated electronic machines should produce exactly the same pull, but even then, there could be differences in how well the clamps hold the string. So, a reference tension is about the only tension you can go by unless you know the nuances of each stringer you use. My 57# gives an actual tension that is higher than our club pro's 57#. I use a constant pull electronic machine and he uses a lockout machine. Even when properly calibrated, mine should yield about a 10% tighter stringbed. That doesn't make it better. If you are used to his reference tension, you might think mine was strung too tight.

Secondly, different strings lose different amounts of tension. The average is probably around 10%. Some kevlar strings lose as much as 25% or more after 24 hours, with no hitting. If you are used to using kevlar strings, you are used to this tension loss.

The good news is that after this initial tension loss, the rate slows down. It still loses a little, but not nearly as much. String savers should actually raise the actual tension. Afterall, they stretch the string a little tighter as each string is forced over a small piece of plastic.

So, don't get so hung up about what your actual tension is. You probably never knew what the actual tension was before (there's really no way you could have, unless you had it measured by an RDC machine right then). This is one of those cases where a little knowledge goes a long way in telling you nothing. It was fine before you knew about "initial tension loss".

aroddick
12-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks a lot SteveHuff. I will go this

String it at 61 which will lose 9% which will be 5.49, so the string tension will be 55.6 and string savers should add 2 or 3 pounds, which will be 57 or 58. So i will be happy.

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.

Championship_Point
12-25-2006, 04:42 PM
This is really interesting, I didn't know it lost that much just over night*

OrangeOne
12-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks a lot SteveHuff. I will go this

String it at 61 which will lose 9% which will be 5.49, so the string tension will be 55.6 and string savers should add 2 or 3 pounds, which will be 57 or 58. So i will be happy.

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.

You thank Steve, but you didn't understand (or properly read) his post, did you? You went straight back to talking about numbers and goal-numbers again.

Here's a different explanation angle. It's not about numbers. It's not. Your 57 or 58 is so unlikely to be actual - it's almost mythical, it's made up, it's dreamland, there's no way for you to know that it's actually that tension, and no way to know that that tension is what you want.

Have your racquet strung at a tension, note when it was strung, what you did with it (ie. installed string savers), and note how it was when you played with it.

If you liked it, have the same done again.

- or -

If you didn't, take it back to the same stringer, using the same machine, and ask for it to be increased or decreased a couple of pounds according to your best guess. Repeating this process will likely get you the tension you want.

[If you really care this much, go buy a stringbed tension reader thingy for a couple of hundred and measure it from when it's strung to when it breaks. If you really really really care, measure it hourly and correlate this to when you play best and worst, factor in the weather and the phase of the moon, and then make adjustments accordingly ;)]

OrangeOne
12-25-2006, 05:23 PM
SEE PAGE TWO SEE PAGE TWO SEE PAGE TWO SEE PAGE TWO SEE PAGE TWO SEE PAGE TWO SEE PAGE TWO SEE PAGE TWO SEE PAGE TWO SEE PAGE TWO SEE PAGE TWO

Please don't spam like this - it's pointless and it makes the board messy.

You also may want to remember that different people have different settings for forums, for me I choose 30 posts per page so this thread doesn't even have a page two for me and possibly many others.

aroddick
12-25-2006, 05:40 PM
sorry. I didnt know that.

heycal
12-25-2006, 06:36 PM
So what conclusion can I draw about my own string job from this? I have had my racket strung with natural gut the last couple of times at 52 lbs. For the first couple of outings with a new string job, it felt too powerful and not as comfortable. But after a couple of hours of playing/a couple of days, it settled down and felt both more controllable and comfortable.

Does this mean that I have it strung at a good tension for me, or should I try a touch lower next time?

Richie Rich
12-25-2006, 07:58 PM
So what conclusion can I draw about my own string job from this? I have had my racket strung with natural gut the last couple of times at 52 lbs. For the first couple of outings with a new string job, it felt too powerful and not as comfortable. But after a couple of hours of playing/a couple of days, it settled down and felt both more controllable and comfortable.

Does this mean that I have it strung at a good tension for me, or should I try a touch lower next time?

you can try 50 but seems like you have it good at 52. do you get the gut pre-stretched before it is strung?

heycal
12-26-2006, 12:24 AM
you can try 50 but seems like you have it good at 52. do you get the gut pre-stretched before it is strung?

Well, I'm always looking for reasons or excuses to string a little lower to get the most arm protection for my tennis elbow... I don't get the gut pre-stretched before it's strung, and I'm not really sure what "pre-stretching" is all about anyway since I'm far from an expert on this stuff.

aroddick
12-26-2006, 08:55 AM
I let someone else do the stringing. So i dont know about pre-stretching.