PDA

View Full Version : Got the money, now what...

DRtenniS1112
12-25-2006, 05:02 PM
After christmas and what not I have saved about 400-500 for a stringer (no more). I definately want a stand up crank but not sure which. I am not too worried about the customer service of Eagnas so I am tempted to go with them. Only problem is they have like 8 machines in that range. What should I get???

theace21
12-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Get some other opinions, but of all the Eagnas line - it seems like the owners of the Flex 940 have been pretty happy with the machine. Not sure of the quality, or the stability of the table, but the price is in your range. Good Luck!

Davai
12-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Check out the Eagnas Cobo 910 http://eagnas.com/com910.html
Looks like a really solid machine with a great price. You might have to spend a little extra on shipping and tax but it looks like the best machine out of the entire line up. In addition I beleive somebody did a review on it and came out to be very happy.
The Flex 940 on the other hand looks very flaky: turntable isn't solid and the clamps aren't as nice as in the 910.

tennis-skater
12-25-2006, 07:07 PM
why not just go for the alpha revo

DRtenniS1112
12-25-2006, 07:12 PM
why not just go for the alpha revo

I want an upright machine, I thought the alpha revo's were tabletops only.

theace21
12-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Check out the Eagnas Cobo 910 http://eagnas.com/com910.html
Looks like a really solid machine with a great price. You might have to spend a little extra on shipping and tax but it looks like the best machine out of the entire line up. In addition I believe somebody did a review on it and came out to be very happy.
The Flex 940 on the other hand looks very flaky: turntable isn't solid and the clamps aren't as nice as in the 910.
When I saw the Flex 940 table I was thinking the same thing, it looked cheap and lacked stability. The 910 Combo looks much better. I just remember reading about the flex 940. If they didn't have 78 models, people wouldn't get so confused...

DRtenniS1112
12-25-2006, 07:25 PM
When I saw the Flex 940 table I was thinking the same thing, it looked cheap and lacked stability. The 910 Combo looks much better. I just remember reading about the flex 940. If they didn't have 78 models, people wouldn't get so confused...

Yea that 78 model thing is my main problem right now. There are so many for 399 and I can not tell a difference aside from some having 6 instead of 4 points for mounting and what not. I thought the Beta looked nice as well.

hadoken
12-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Why not go Mutual Power? They have glide bars in your range and they have better service. Before you frown on such 'old technology', let me say that i just sold my Gamma 4000 (2 pt glide bar) for a Gamma 5003 6 pt machine and in many ways I like the older technology better. Glide bars are reliable, fast to string on, and proven.

Otherwise, I would just try to wait and find a used machine on auction.

Davai
12-25-2006, 10:28 PM

I remember there was a review on the 940 a long while ago, too lazy and tired to search. The person ended up exchanging the 940 for the combo 910 because the turntable on the 940 would actually flex when he would pull tension. He was satisfied with the C910. As with regard to the 78 different models - it's really not that many if you know what you want, or close to it, and furthermore many of the machines are just built in a way that you can clearly just say junk without trying it.

For the OP I believe that the extra investment in the C910 is really worthwhile. Try seaching the forums for more info about the 940. A quick note is practically all medium to high end machines feature sturdy turntables - that alone should tell you something about their importance.

barry
12-26-2006, 01:48 AM
I remember there was a review on the 940 a long while ago, too lazy and tired to search. The person ended up exchanging the 940 for the combo 910 because the turntable on the 940 would actually flex when he would pull tension. He was satisfied with the C910. As with regard to the 78 different models - it's really not that many if you know what you want, or close to it, and furthermore many of the machines are just built in a way that you can clearly just say junk without trying it.

For the OP I believe that the extra investment in the C910 is really worthwhile. Try seaching the forums for more info about the 940. A quick note is practically all medium to high end machines feature sturdy turntables - that alone should tell you something about their importance.

12 reviews from actual customers at http://www.stringforum.net/mforum.php on the Eagnas 940. I like the Combo 910 because it has the same mounting system as the newly upgraded Revo and cost $65 less plus you get a stand. The knock on the old Revo’s was a weak mounting system which corrected recently by apparently using the same supplier as Eagnas. For all the naysayer, just review the photos on the http://www.photostringer.com/ and compare them with the photos at http://www.eagnas.com/com910.html#axispro

At $499 I would pick the Combo 910, better buy more machine! Both have spring assisted clamps, but the stand beats a cart any day.

varuscelli
12-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Yea that 78 model thing is my main problem right now. There are so many for 399 and I can not tell a difference aside from some having 6 instead of 4 points for mounting and what not. I thought the Beta looked nice as well.

Not to make things any more complicated, but I did a recount on Eagnas, and I think that number is 80 machines. ;)

And who knows? Maybe there are more than 80 to choose from?

I think if you're sticking to your price range and wanting a model with stand, Eagnas will be one of the few brands to offer you what you want for the price you want (in a new machine).

But, like hardoken said, the used market is another route to go. If you're not in a hurry, nice used machines pop up all the time, even here in the forum classifieds. The big auction site is another route and I even see craigslist offerings of stringing machines all the time, but most often not "local" unless you're in a really big metro area.

I was looking to buy a brand new machine (my first) and kept my eye out on the used market at the same time (just in case) and ended up with a bargain on a Gamma 6004. The 6004 would have been WAY out of my price range as a new purchase, but I got a deal on it within about two to three weeks of hitting that point where I was more or less ready to buy. (My "ready to buy" and "wanting to buy" phases being two distinct time frames, but not far apart.) My initial price range was just about what yours is. Didn't want to spend over $500 (or not much over it, in any case).

But you could also get a nice tabletop model smf build or buy yourself a stand or cart for it. Universal stringing machine stands are not that expensive or you could look around for a cart to suit your needs. The thing I like about the idea of a cart is that you can use them it for storage as well as a stand, if you get the right one, and they can be made to be very easily mobile. But I'm betting most carts can't match a stand for ergonomics and "bellying up" to the machine. But that's guess work and not experience talking. Still, you could always get a nice tabletop machine now and then save some extra money and look for a stand that would suit you as a Phase 2 of your Stringing Machine Master Plan. :)

I dunno. Those are just a few of my thoughts, and I'm sure there are holes to be identified in my thinking.

dancraig
12-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Not to make things any more complicated, but I did a recount on Eagnas, and I think that number is 80 machines. ;)

They make many more than 80. I don't think they are all available in the US. Maybe they are through special order with Maxline.
http://www.eagnas.com/lilylee/uprightm.html

varuscelli
12-26-2006, 05:53 PM
They make many more than 80. I don't think they are all available in the US. Maybe they are through special order with Maxline.
http://www.eagnas.com/lilylee/uprightm.html

Yeah, I think that whole "massive offerings" thing by Eagnas just makes some people's heads hurt. They sometimes want to buy something from Eagnas but suffer from a form of information overload and are frozen in indecision.

Not that I've made a careful enough study of Eagnas machines to know for sure, but they seem to have a list of "international" models that in some cases exactly mirrors what they offer in the USA. Then there seem to be some that are the same but just labeled with different names. And maybe there are some that are actually different but only sold in other countries. But all in all, I have no idea how many machines Eagnas really offers.

Maybe I ought to just write them and ask, out of sheer curiosity. Tell 'em I HAVE to know for the sake of the photo library, in case I want to tackle adding their machines as well. ;)

And actually, I DO want to add the Eagnas machines. I just haven't summoned up the courage to tackle it. Probably will soon, though, so as not to wimp out about doing it. Grrrr.... :mad:

dancraig
12-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I think that whole "massive offerings" thing by Eagnas just makes some people's heads hurt. They sometimes want to buy something from Eagnas but suffer from a form of information overload and are frozen in indecision.

Check out this line. They use air compression tensioners and are intended for use in racquet factories.

http://www.eagnas.com/lilylee/racfactor.html

varuscelli
12-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Check out this line. They use air compression tensioners and are intended for use in racquet factories.

http://www.eagnas.com/lilylee/racfactor.html

Jeez, I didn't even know about those. Argh, I bet Eagnas distributes so many machines that maybe even THEY don't know how many are out there.

Thanks for pointing that out, Dan. I need to check out the "Series" machines on those pages on the LillyLee site a bit more carefully. Maybe I am biting off more than I can chew in adding in the Eagnas machines...but I'm going to give it a shot, I think.

dancraig
12-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Check out this hybrid. It converts from a full stand machine to a tabletop. Might be good for the stringer that wants a full stand machine but also wants a tabletop for travel. It looks like the Gamma.

http://www.eagnas.com/lilylee/fh868s.html

varuscelli
12-26-2006, 09:24 PM
So it looks like on the LilyLee pages alone, there are something like 225 Eagnas stringing machines.

I don't get it. Why does the main Eagnas site seem to show something like around 80 machines, but when you go to the LilyLee portion of the site, it's broken down more thoroughly (better organized, too, in its own way) and shown as 225 machines. Maybe 225 machines represent the full offerings on an international level and the main Eagnas pages represent only the main USA offerings at around 80 machines?

LttlElvis
12-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Like everyone else, I have always been intrigued by Eagnas because of the price of the stringing machines. Another thing is that the website is actually very informative and well organized. Customer service is a whole different story.

There can be only so many different actual manufacterers of stringing machines. Like many I always wonder if they are the same machines. Like the above post is a Gamma clone. The Combo 910 looks just like an Alpha. I have seen the newer Eagnas 3 prong clamps and I thought they seemed really nice and looked just like the Alpha.

Anyone actually see a big name brand machine and it's Eagnas clone side by side?

dancraig
12-26-2006, 09:38 PM
So it looks like on the LilyLee pages alone, there are something like 225 Eagnas stringing machines.

I don't get it. Why does the main Eagnas site seem to show something like around 80 machines, but when you go to the LilyLee portion of the site, it's broken down more thoroughly (better organized, too, in its own way) and shown as 225 machines. Maybe 225 machines represent the full offerings on an international level and the main Eagnas pages represent only the main USA offerings at around 80 machines?

Yeah, I bet that's it. Those 80 are probably the ones Maxline attempts to keep in stock.

LttlElvis
12-26-2006, 09:46 PM
I have said it many times before, but can you imagine what Eagnas would be like if they had the same pricing but concentrated on maybe 10 machines only? They would probably blow everyone away.

dancraig
12-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Check out this old Maxline site. The prices were way higher a few years ago.

http://pw1.netcom.com/~maxline/upright.html

Young Pete
12-26-2006, 10:38 PM
check out this ektelon model H on the big auction site

good luck!

theace21
12-27-2006, 07:24 AM
I have said it many times before, but can you imagine what Eagnas would be like if they had the same pricing but concentrated on maybe 10 machines only? They would probably blow everyone away.

I have voice the same, many, many times. Figure out what are your best sellers/most profitable - and dump the rest. Probably a handful are solid performers, but not the entire line...

varuscelli
12-27-2006, 07:41 AM
I have voice the same, many, many times. Figure out what are your best sellers/most profitable - and dump the rest. Probably a handful are solid performers, but not the entire line...

Maybe they've got tiny little shop/factories producing them all over the world rather than one or two main factories. I truly do wonder what the factory situation is for Eagnas. Multiple production points or a couple of main factories?

Even if you look at what I'd consider the factory "stock" photos of their machines, those photos are ALL different, some of very good quality and some very badly reproduced as though they come from many different sources (some photos that are like a piece of paper that has been copied too many times and lost its quality, or like a jpg image that has had the digital equivalent done to it so that its overall quality has degraded). Maybe even those radically different photos hint at some kind of parallel to the seeming hit-or-miss quality on some of the Eagnas machines. (I know, that's a stretch, but there could be some bit of analogous truth in there.) Hmmmm.