PDA

View Full Version : Glide Bar Machines

barry
12-26-2006, 04:55 AM
Looking over TW selection of rackets, I donít see any new fan style frames. Have they gone the way of power holes?
Like many, I have been guilty of only recommending double action clamp machines, based on glide bar systems inability to string fan style rackets, but it appears fan type rackets are a thing of the past. Glide bar systems are less expensive, just as accurate, and clamps are very cheap to replace.

Maybe time to revisit. Many nice machines for under $400 these days. Since the only glide bar system I have used is the Neos, interested in other stringers opinions.

theace21
12-26-2006, 07:15 AM
I still get fan pattern racquetball rackets. I have a glide bar system and I end up using floating clamps. I only have one guy that I string for that uses a fan pattern racket, so it is really not that much of a problem.

dancraig
12-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I just don't find fan patterned frames much of a problem on a glide bar machine. I use floating clamps on the last couple of mains. Although the bars have to be moved around when doing ATW patterns, I think the single action feature of the clamps makes it worthwhile.
After seeing Gamma introduce a high end two point mount, I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out with a new glide bar machine next.

ccelis
12-26-2006, 03:59 PM
I just don't find fan patterned frames much of a problem on a glide bar machine. I use floating clamps on the last couple of mains. Although the bars have to be moved around when doing ATW patterns, I think the single action feature of the clamps makes it worthwhile.
After seeing Gamma introduce a high end two point mount, I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out with a new glide bar machine next.

What brand of floating clamps are you guys using? Special ones like the kind that come with the Neos or just regular floating clamps?

Thanks

dancraig
12-26-2006, 04:05 PM
What brand of floating clamps are you guys using? Special ones like the kind that come with the Neos or just regular floating clamps?

Thanks

Just regular floating clamps.

ccelis
12-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Just regular floating clamps.

Thanks, I don't know that you can use regular floating clamps for fan pattern. Good to know.

Thanks

PBODY99
12-27-2006, 04:43 PM
I often have a choice of which type of machine to use and even for a fan patterned frame, the single action nature of my glide bar machines just are quicker, even if I have to use my floating clamps

Steve Huff
12-28-2006, 06:45 PM
Using floating clamps on fan patterns is generally accepted. You still lose a lot of tension from drawback as the clamps try to straighten out. It's ok if you compensate for it at the end on the tie-off. Personally, I think glide bar clamps are a nice, simple, reliable system too.