PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the old Alpha Pioneer 111 stringer?

borisboris
03-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Just curious if this is a worthy drop weight 1st time machine. Probably doing 2-3 sticks a month and I can get away from my wife for an hr. :D

coachrick
03-13-2004, 12:06 PM
bb, since nobody wanted to respond, I'll take a shot...I used a Pioneer III in the late 80s/early 90s in combination with a Bab Star. There were times that I enjoyed the simplicity of the Alpha compared to the Star. Also, the portability of the Alpha was a plus. The mounting was a little tricky(getting the nylon supports in just the right place) but once you get used to the dropweight system, it's pretty easy to use. The glide bars don't allow the clamps to reach some of the fan pattern strings but probably 98% of frames will work on this machine. If you have the bucks, try a Laserfibre machine but the Alpha is quite capable and should cost a good bit less. Have fun!

SteveI
03-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Hi BB,

I am using a Model II to string my sticks. The thing is built like a tank. Like Coach Rick said the mounting system take a bit to get used to. Since I string in most cases only my frames, the mounting system is very easy to use.. I just leave the mounting system set-up for my frame. I am using flying clamps (Model II). One thing to note.. the tech support is 1st rate from Alpha. I called to get a manual.. some replacement pads.. and a new tension bar sticker.. very low cost and excellent service and shipping. Overall, the stringer is very easy to use and produces a very nice string job. I also take note of the shape of the head and the overall racket length (Before and After) stringing. This Alpha stringer again, produces a string job with no racket head distortion.. or change in racket length. Some are saying... Hummm that should be the case in all cases.. but I have obtained a few frames from E-bay and this site that (strung) did not match the head shape and overall racket length before stringing. Example, a 200G 100 that was 27.25. After I cut out the string.. it was back to 27.50 and the head shape was back to a more TOUR shape and much less round. I hope this insight helps. Have a great day all and happy hitting!

Regards,
Steve

borisboris
03-14-2004, 07:46 AM
:) Thanks for the responce, very insightful and positive. I have never strung before so I was wondering what a fan pattern was? I use a Prince thunderstrike 110" 27". Do you think the A3 will work - it's a wide body? Thanks again

SteveI
03-14-2004, 12:42 PM
HI BB,

Quite sure that the Prince ThunderStrike is not a Fan-Type frame.
This machine works fine with widebodies.

Hard to explain what a fan type frame looks like.. anyone want to jump in and give it a go.

Regards,
Steve

coachrick
03-14-2004, 07:16 PM
The Sledgehammer-type Wilsons would be a good example of the fan pattern. The larger models are more pronounced in their 'fan-ness'. With the PIII, you would have to clamp the string parallel to the center strings even though the pattern offers quite an angle as you reach the outer mains--it may be that reaching the outermost mains will take some finesse. I had a trouble with the Prince Ring-thing fitting on my old machine but I did not hesitate to recommend another stringer(person) to handle the very occasional Ring--glad that frame was only popular for about eleven minutes.