PDA

View Full Version : How do you pre-strech?

aroddick
12-26-2006, 12:23 PM
I dont string my racquet's. Just wondering.

Can i do it?

new2tennis
12-26-2006, 01:14 PM
well pre-stretching is a little impossible, but you can stretch them out by stepping on your strings. That's what I do.

ferocious4hand
12-26-2006, 01:45 PM
i always thought pre-stretching is done buy either tying one end of the string to a pole and pull the opposite direction or have two ppl pull the string. Don't some machines have the capability of pulling the string at a higher tension then release to the set tension?

Davai
12-26-2006, 02:34 PM
I dont string my racquet's. Just wondering.

Can i do it?

Before you get a bunch of more great ideas. Pre-stretching cannot be done once the racket has been strung. If you step on the racket - you are damaging something, does slamming the racket on the ground make it stronger or weaker? It's possible to do a prestrech to the entire string length manually or by machine - though the machine function sort of defeats half of the point. If you want to have pre-streched strings on your racket just let your stringer know and he should know what to do.

dancraig
12-26-2006, 02:36 PM
One person can do it by wrapping the string around a smooth, round object at it's midpoint. I suppose a sturdy doorknob would do. Clamp the two ends in a floating or starting clamp. If you don't have one you could wrap the ends around a round piece of wood or some other object. When you have done this, lean away and feel the string give. It will give a little and then seem to stop. About 20 or 30 seconds of leaning or pulling should do it. Don't lean to hard or the string may break. This prestretch will take some of the coil memory out, making it easier to work with. It also will help the string to maintain it's tension longer. It can also take some of the feel out of the string, making it play a little stiff and boardy. Some players may like this feel, some may not. One guy's stiff and boardy is another guy's crisp.
I think it is generally considered better for two people to do a prestretch, one person at each end of the string. One drawback to this method is you need 40 feet of open space to work in.

Kirko
12-26-2006, 02:39 PM
i always thought pre-stretching is done buy either tying one end of the string to a pole and pull the opposite direction or have two ppl pull the string. Don't some machines have the capability of pulling the string at a higher tension then release to the set tension?

exactly. where I get my rackets strung you have got a steady customer to get that done and I don't blame him. pre-strechinng string for a guy swats at ball is like giving a strand of pearls to an ape. Upshot boost the tension 3 lbs.

BigServer1
12-26-2006, 03:14 PM
When I prestretch gut, I even out the two sides of the string, fold some paper towels and put them behind the doorhandle in the shop (think long bar doorhandle that extends 3-4 inches from the door). Then I put the gut up against the paper towels and pull both sides until they are taught, then I wrap the ends of the string around the grip of a tennis racquet, hold on and lean back. Rinse and repeat.

I hope this makes sense.

BigServer1
12-26-2006, 03:15 PM

Our machines have a 10% or 20% prestretch function, but we always prestretch the gut by hand. It takes away the coil memory and makes the gut easier to work with while stringing.

aroddick
12-26-2006, 03:21 PM
What are the advantages of this other than easier to work with or loses it coil memory? The string is a X-one Biphase. I am a complete beginner to pre-stretching

So you tie one end to an object and go to the other end and pull on it. Whats with the rinse and repeat?

dancraig
12-26-2006, 03:34 PM
What are the advantages of this other than easier to work with or loses it coil memory? The string is a X-one Biphase. I am a complete beginner to pre-stretching

So you tie one end to an object and go to the other end and pull on it. Whats with the rinse and repeat?

It will cause the string to hold it's tension longer in the racquet.
By "rinse and repeat", I think he means that he gives it one good lean/pull, and then another.

BigServer1
12-26-2006, 03:37 PM

By rinse and repeat I meant do it again, sorry for the confusion.

The only string that I prestretch is gut. If you're using Poly or a multi or a synthetic I wouldn't even worry about it. With gut you have to be aware of what the string is doing at all times, and if its knotting or kinking, it can weaken and damage the string. With other, less expensive strings not as much care is needed, so prestretching could be considered unnecessary.

I don't tie the strings together, either. I loop the entire string in the doorhandle (protected with towels) and then even it out so I am holding the two ends of the string. From there I wrap the ends of the strings around the handle of a racquet and then lean back, letting my weight do the pulling/stretching. I know this is confusing, and typing without the aid of pictures doesn't make it easier.

I hope this helps.

BigServer1
12-26-2006, 03:38 PM
It will cause the string to hold it's tension longer in the racquet.
By "rinse and repeat", I think he means that he gives it one good lean/pull, and then another.

Yeah that's what I meant. I should have worded it differently, lol.

aroddick
12-26-2006, 05:37 PM
I wont worry about it. I will ask the string if he can do it (sports authority). If not oh well. I have string savers.

bluescreen
12-26-2006, 09:32 PM
i doubt any stringer at sports authority will even know what prestreching is. but its worth a try to ask anyway.

Clecwm
12-27-2006, 02:17 AM
i doubt any stringer at sports authority will even know what prestreching is. but its worth a try to ask anyway.
True. I checked with a stringer before n he was baffled by wad I asked him. Maybe there's a simplier term for it? Anyone noes?

Richie Rich
12-27-2006, 03:53 AM
True. I checked with a stringer before n he was baffled by wad I asked him. Maybe there's a simplier term for it? Anyone noes?

you are now seeing firsthand why it's dangerous to take your racquet to be strung at sports authority.

you really want to make their head spin? ask for pre-stretch and your racquet strung AWL pattern.

i pre-stretch soft strings by wrapping it around a support post in my basement and using my starting clamp to pull both ends of the string for a few seconds.

if you pre-stretch too much you will take most of the resiliency out of the string and it will feel boardy and dead when you string it. i stretch with a light pull for about 10 seconds and find that this helps multis retain tension a little better.

dufferok
12-28-2006, 05:38 AM
One person can do it by wrapping the string around a smooth, round object at it's midpoint. I suppose a sturdy doorknob would do. Clamp the two ends in a floating or starting clamp. If you don't have one you could wrap the ends around a round piece of wood or some other object. When you have done this, lean away and feel the string give. It will give a little and then seem to stop. About 20 or 30 seconds of leaning or pulling should do it. Don't lean to hard or the string may break. This prestretch will take some of the coil memory out, making it easier to work with. It also will help the string to maintain it's tension longer. It can also take some of the feel out of the string, making it play a little stiff and boardy. Some players may like this feel, some may not. One guy's stiff and boardy is another guy's crisp.
I think it is generally considered better for two people to do a prestretch, one person at each end of the string. One drawback to this method is you need 40 feet of open space to work in.

I second the above. Good solid info.