PDA

View Full Version : Mental Side of Tennis-Camps

starsin47
12-26-2006, 04:07 PM
I have been to several adult camps, both in the Southeast as well as a Nike camp. All seem to run you through the same routines, drills, etc.
Is there any camp that actually incorporates some of the mental/strategic side of tennis, as well as serious drills, practice? I have read much about Newks, but many posts describe it as more of a social atmosphere. I will be in San Antonio in a few months, but still question some of the feedback I have seen on this forum. I am a late starter, so I want to make the best use of my time/money, and I am not as concerned about the social part, etc. Just made it to a 3.5 level after starting 4 years ago, and currently I am 49. My primary goal is to be a solid 3.5. Any suggestions?? Thanks:)

tennismike33
12-28-2006, 03:31 PM
IMO camps primary "thing" is the social side of tennis for adults. I agree with you that the mental part of the game is not taught. I have been back playing for almost 6 years now, and attended many drills, paying a lot of money, the mental side of tennis is neglected by local pro's becasue I think it is the hardest to teach. Disciplining adults trying to learn tennis does not draw in a lot of other adults. Running sprints for a various amounts of dialog or an occasional "toss" of the equipment doesn't happen at the adult workouts, as it does in many of the kiddie workouts I have sat through.

Where I think the mental part comes from is in your practicing habits. My court demeanor has improved but the intensity that I play with brings with it an occasional explosion or outburst of colorful language. The greatest improvement in my game came after I worked VERY hard on improving my on-court actions and reactions to my play. I get great joy out of hearning my playing partners mumbling to themselves, my personal favorite is hearing the banging of the racket against the tarp. There is one player, I won't mention his name becasue he will read this post (MIGJAM) who I have been playing with for 6 months and he is the only player that I have NEVER heard a lot of things from him, of course he is always beating up on me so there would be no reason.

NbladeTopspin
12-29-2006, 06:09 PM
how old are u

u say ur 43,49, 47

??

migjam
12-29-2006, 07:51 PM
how old are u

u say ur 43,49, 47

??

Just click on view profile

slice bh compliment
12-30-2006, 03:47 AM
how old are u

u say ur 43,49, 47

??

Whoa, talk about a threadkiller. You just caught a man lying about his age..... by simply reading a couple of his other posts.

Maybe he shapeshifts, too.

Why would someone do that? Probably just trying to conceal his identity? The power of anonymity. Message board mysterio?

migjam
12-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Why does his age matter?

10S_Playr
12-30-2006, 08:05 PM
To Starsin47:

I'd agree that many camps, including Newk's, emphasize hitting more than the mental side of tennis. However, I've found a few places that have helped me with the mental side of the game:

1) The Human Performance Institute outside of Orlando, FL. The director of tennis, Lorenzo Beltrame, is an outstanding coach and the program included mental training in addition to technique, conditioning, diet, etc. The psychologist I worked with is no longer there, but several on the leadership team have experience in sports psychology. The CEO, Dr. Jim Loehr, has written on the mental aspects of sports ("Toughness Training for Sports"). Check out http://www.hpinstitute.com/sports_training_tennis.html. Note that these guys are really good, but it can be pretty expensive.

2) Although not in the traditional definition of "mental training", I'd also recommend the work done by Scott Ford on peak performance states. Check out http://www.arete-sports.com/index.shtml for more info.

10S_Playr

slice bh compliment
12-30-2006, 11:53 PM
One of my first jobs was as an assisitant pro at a tennis camp.
And yes, many of the people there WERE mental.;)

goober
12-31-2006, 01:16 PM
To Starsin47:

I'd agree that many camps, including Newk's, emphasize hitting more than the mental side of tennis. However, I've found a few places that have helped me with the mental side of the game:

1) The Human Performance Institute outside of Orlando, FL. The director of tennis, Lorenzo Beltrame, is an outstanding coach and the program included mental training in addition to technique, conditioning, diet, etc. The psychologist I worked with is no longer there, but several on the leadership team have experience in sports psychology. The CEO, Dr. Jim Loehr, has written on the mental aspects of sports ("Toughness Training for Sports"). Check out http://www.hpinstitute.com/sports_training_tennis.html. Note that these guys are really good, but it can be pretty expensive.

10S_Playr

This one advertises for elite juniors and touring pros. Do they take 3.5 level adults like the OP?

10S_Playr
12-31-2006, 10:09 PM
I asked the same question....and I'm a 3.5 as well. Yes, they'll work with adults at this level (although I doubt they see many like me). Also, getting on the schedule took 2-3 months lead time.

Knowing that these guys usually work with higher-level athletes, I found myself playing "up" to the challenge. To be clear, my days at HPI were VERY productive but also among the most physically and mentally demanding I've ever spent on tennis. In 90 degree weather I was going through three sets of clothes a day (both from tennis and conditioning work). They will take you to your limits - and the higher those limits, the more you will get from the experience.

10S_Playr

Geezer Guy
01-02-2007, 08:51 AM
I have been to several adult camps, both in the Southeast as well as a Nike camp. All seem to run you through the same routines, drills, etc.
Is there any camp that actually incorporates some of the mental/strategic side of tennis, as well as serious drills, practice? I have read much about Newks, but many posts describe it as more of a social atmosphere. I will be in San Antonio in a few months, but still question some of the feedback I have seen on this forum. I am a late starter, so I want to make the best use of my time/money, and I am not as concerned about the social part, etc. Just made it to a 3.5 level after starting 4 years ago, and currently I am 49. My primary goal is to be a solid 3.5. Any suggestions?? Thanks:)

I've been to Newk's. The pro's there (as well as other places I've been to) DO sometimes tend to fall into the habit of running the same drills and focusing on mostly the physical side and not so much the mental side. However, if you ask them about the mental side (and maybe remind them a bit) they WILL go over that too. Because they go through the same thing week-after-week-after-week, it's up to YOU to get them to focus on what you want to focus on.

If you have time to go to Newk's for their week-long program, you'll get a LOT more instruction than if you go for the week-END program. The week-end program is very social (from what I've heard) and the week-long program is much more intense. (And, it's a great value for your money.)