PDA

View Full Version : new string advice

dave333
12-26-2006, 06:14 PM
meh my strings just broke today, first time in my shor 1.5 year career.

i was using 16g syn gut but i started hitting today and one little part in top corner that was already frayed a little snapped so i need new strings.

My racquet is m-fil 300 and I found the 16g syn gut at 60 lbs packed some punch and decent spin, but I would definitely like more spin on my kick serves and be able to get some more margin of error on my forehand. Has to be durable too, as my parents would refuse to spend tons of cash on strings. I'm not a string breaker either, like i said, its my first time.

recemendations?

theace21
12-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I would just stick to a simple synthetic gut. You are not a string breaker, and it will give you solid playability at a modest cost...

Paul Goldstein
12-26-2006, 08:10 PM
dave hello,

i suggest Signum Pro Poly Plasma

a string that got rated the string of the year in 05 and 06 by people just like you

http://www.stringforum.net/string2005.php

http://www.stringforum.net/string2006.php

i promise you will love this string. its a poly, but a soft poly. it should last longer then your syn gut since you are not a string breaker.

give it a try, buy a set from tennis warehouse and i promise you will love it

gl and happy playing;)

mqtennis
12-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Paul,

I thought you were under contract to use the prince string. can you tell me about the specs of your 03 tour.

Thanks

Paul Goldstein
12-26-2006, 09:53 PM
hi there

if they let me on the old man tour who knows what i will play with ;)

my frame info is a secret.

actually i feel i will be jinxed if i talk about my frame. call me crazy

travlerajm
12-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Hey Paul,

I used to sit in front of you in Black Lit class your frosh year at the Farm.

I have some interesting stats of pro racquet specs vs. career high ranking that clearly show the racquet makes a bigger difference than most people think. And I might be able to help you make a jump in the rankings.

If you're interested in getting an edge, drop me a line.
amarshal@u.washington.edu

Valjean
12-27-2006, 04:26 AM
Then why not try Prince's Topspin Plus? When/if you need more durability there is Prince's Topspin 15L with Duraflex...

dave333
12-27-2006, 05:35 AM
hmm topspin cyberflash and SPPP definitely look nice...what about the "hextreme" SPPP? any difference?

i use semi-western grip and have no history of elbow injuries anyway

bsandy
01-02-2007, 09:23 PM
hi there

if they let me on the old man tour who knows what i will play with ;)

my frame info is a secret.

actually i feel i will be jinxed if i talk about my frame. call me crazy

Well . . . If this is Paul, you were using Lux BB ALU, in Indy, and your stock O3 tour 100's were beat to crap.

. . . Bud

eunjam
01-02-2007, 09:56 PM
hey paul,

i think you played my coach jong min a few times.

anyways, it's great to see you on here.

good luck at whatever you're doing.

Bottle Rocket
01-03-2007, 01:13 AM
It took you 1.5 years to break your string?

Cost shouldn't reall factor into this decision... You should get the best string around.

How about some natural gut and some string savers? Maybe a natural gut and synthetic gut hybrid? It seems like SPPP or any poly type string would do no benefit to you, especially for long term play.

If it took you over a year to break your strings, your kick serves must have some real "kick" on them... :confused:

vinnier6
01-03-2007, 07:00 AM
i am not a string breaker either, i made the switch from wilson sensation to sppp 16L about a month or soo ago, i was stringing my sensation at 62 and string the sppp at 58 and i love it...string movement was the biggest concern for me and i must say, sppp delivers in this department...feel is nice, control is excellent and power is good as well...and like i said, zero string movement as of right now....

dave333
01-03-2007, 03:28 PM
It took you 1.5 years to break your string?

Cost shouldn't reall factor into this decision... You should get the best string around.

How about some natural gut and some string savers? Maybe a natural gut and synthetic gut hybrid? It seems like SPPP or any poly type string would do no benefit to you, especially for long term play.

If it took you over a year to break your strings, your kick serves must have some real "kick" on them... :confused:

well the first like, 10 months wasn't very serious tennis. Then I went to a few camps here and there, watched slo mo vids, and my game kicked up a bit.
Anyway, I didn't use one racquet over the 1.5 years (also, I didn't play during winters). I spent 4 months with a wal-mart racquet, 4 with hh 4, then 4 with hh6, then I've been using my m-fil 300 for 3 months before I broke the string. I got mine strung w/ syn gut again because the tournament was in 2 days, tho my parents said it would be ok if I got some new ones.