PDA

View Full Version : just got racket strung with gut mains and poly crosses , anyone else that way?

MonkeyMan123
12-26-2006, 08:13 PM
I just went to *********. I put babolat vs natural team gut 17 gauge in the mains at 59 lbs and Luxilon big banger Ace at 54 lbs in the crosses. on my yonex nano speed rq 7 racket. I was looking for spin and playablity so hopefully this will play good. I also am putting 6 g of lead above the handle in the throat are. Any suggestions on changing tension or strings on mains and crosses? I will tell you guys how it plays. THANKS :)

federermcenroeagassi
12-27-2006, 06:41 AM
i like full 16g cyberflash in my redondo. i get a great feel from it for some reason, but i think the good feel (as in the one from a nice syn gut or nat gut) comes more from the frame rather than the string, but its still a perfect fit.

jackson vile
12-27-2006, 08:38 AM
How did it play for you?

Bogie
12-27-2006, 10:24 AM
i've been using full bb original for about 4 years now and absolutely love it. especially in my new tecnifibre 335 16x20's, i've finally found my dream setup.

Paul Goldstein
12-27-2006, 02:13 PM
bogie, does your dream set-up have a tension? :p

MonkeyMan123
12-27-2006, 03:12 PM
I got septoplasty surgery yesterday for my devieated septum ( i used to breathe through my mouth, but since i got surgery, in a week i should be breathing through my nose), and they said i cant do any running or sports for 10 days. I picked up my racket from ********* and i hit with it against a wall. Shots came back with a lot more spin than usual and i am also suprised the racket feels this much heavier after only putting 6g of lead at the throat. the spin i am getting is just incredible. I thought i strung it with babolat natural gut 17 gauge but i guess i strung it with 16 since thats waht the string says. I am going to stick with gut mains and poly crosses for a while if i like using it on the tennis court.

federermcenroeagassi
12-27-2006, 03:13 PM
I got septoplasty surgery yesterday for my devieated septum ( i used to breathe through my mouth, but since i got surgery, in a week i should be breathing through my nose), and they said i cant do any running or sports for 10 days. I picked up my racket from ********* and i hit with it against a wall. Shots came back with a lot more spin than usual and i am also suprised the racket feels this much heavier after only putting 6g of lead at the throat. the spin i am getting is just incredible. I thought i strung it with babolat natural gut 17 gauge but i guess i strung it with 16 since thats waht the string says. I am going to stick with gut mains and poly crosses for a while if i like using it on the tennis court.

nice. good luck and happy recovery :)

MonkeyMan123
12-27-2006, 04:49 PM
nice. good luck and happy recovery :)
Thanks! :p

BigServer1
12-28-2006, 02:19 PM
I have VS 16 in the mains and Pro Hurricane Tour 17 in the crosses at 62/60 respectively. I like the setup, but I am switching to full gut soon.

samej07
12-28-2006, 09:48 PM
MAN!! how often to you guys break string? i played xcel mains and poly crosses and broke em in 3 sets. i wish i could play gut but theres no way i could afford it.

TalkingTennis91
12-28-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm with ya, MonkeyMan. nCode Tour 90 with VS Gut 16/Luxilon ALU Rough at 56/54 respectively. Love it.

jackson vile
12-29-2006, 10:13 AM
MAN!! how often to you guys break string? i played xcel mains and poly crosses and broke em in 3 sets. i wish i could play gut but theres no way i could afford it.

I think you need to really consider either your stringer and/or your hitting form.

It is very rare you see pros break strings and they hit the living *&^% out of the ball.

Most pros only switch rackets when the strings break, where are you breaks occuring?

Bogie
12-29-2006, 10:29 AM
bogie, does your dream set-up have a tension? :p

of course. i'm using luxilon 1.30 big banger original at 25 kg on mains and 24 kg on crosses during the warmer seasons or if some of my national tournies are in warmer climates like arizona, so.cal etc. and but i've been using 24/23 kg for the past 2 months as it has been ridiculously cold here in s.f.

samej07
01-01-2007, 06:11 PM
I think you need to really consider either your stringer and/or your hitting form.

It is very rare you see pros break strings and they hit the living *&^% out of the ball.

Most pros only switch rackets when the strings break, where are you breaks occuring?

I hit the ball fine and string my own rackets. i hit the ball very clean, and normally break the stings in the very center or just a string or two off.

also, on the pros part, most of them change rackets on every change of balls. i saw on the tennis channel where james blake said a full set of big banger only last him about two hrs hitting. im a pretty good 18's player and ive never even come close to breaking poly before it went dead. they would break strings very often if they didnt change rackets constantly.

jackson vile
01-03-2007, 09:03 AM
I hit the ball fine and string my own rackets. i hit the ball very clean, and normally break the stings in the very center or just a string or two off.

also, on the pros part, most of them change rackets on every change of balls. i saw on the tennis channel where james blake said a full set of big banger only last him about two hrs hitting. im a pretty good 18's player and ive never even come close to breaking poly before it went dead. they would break strings very often if they didnt change rackets constantly.

Where did you get that study from, ie most pros change racket on chang overs?

I have seen people with full poly jobs ie Lux do that as that string sucks and loses tension so fast especially on 100sqin+ rackets

eunjam
01-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Where did you get that study from, ie most pros change racket on chang overs?

I have seen people with full poly jobs ie Lux do that as that string sucks and loses tension so fast especially on 100sqin+ rackets

there needs to be a differentiation from the say.......top 80 PROs vs. everyone else PRO's. maybe even less and the top 60.

the top 60 do not really need to worry about expenses. definitely not the top 30.

but everyone else, the expenses do add up. hotels, accommodations, paying for a travel coach, fitness coach, and anyone else that travels with them, etc.

maybe paul goldstein can chime in on this one.

jackson vile
01-03-2007, 11:02 AM
there needs to be a differentiation from the say.......top 80 PROs vs. everyone else PRO's. maybe even less and the top 60.

the top 60 do not really need to worry about expenses. definitely not the top 30.

but everyone else, the expenses do add up. hotels, accommodations, paying for a travel coach, fitness coach, and anyone else that travels with them, etc.

maybe paul goldstein can chime in on this one.

I am justing thinking of the pros on TV and the Sampras Robby game I went to, Pete and Rob did not change racket once, did not even look in their bags.

On TV the only time I see a pro switch rackets is when they break a string or two and that is very very rare, other wise they keep the same racket and that makes perfect sense to me.

I just find it strange that some how people 4.0-5.0 are breaking polys perfectly in the middle in just a couple hours when not even the hardest hitting wolrds greatest pros are doing that?

How often does Blake or Nadal break strings, and how often to they change rackets?

samej07
01-03-2007, 07:19 PM
I am justing thinking of the pros on TV and the Sampras Robby game I went to, Pete and Rob did not change racket once, did not even look in their bags.

On TV the only time I see a pro switch rackets is when they break a string or two and that is very very rare, other wise they keep the same racket and that makes perfect sense to me.

I just find it strange that some how people 4.0-5.0 are breaking polys perfectly in the middle in just a couple hours when not even the hardest hitting wolrds greatest pros are doing that?

How often does Blake or Nadal break strings, and how often to they change rackets?

ahhhh.... misunderstanding. i meant to say that i broke the xcel in 3 sets, not the poly. i was saying that when strung with gut or syn. mains and poly crosses the mains dont last me any time. when done the other way they usually last me a week and a half to two weeks, hitting about 2 hrs a day.

on the pros part, the top players who play hybrid, ie federer, tend to change rackets with the change of balls. i have even seen on tv where fed will change the game before the change of balls if he is going to serve with the new balls. the announcer said he likes to get the strings some what broken in before serving.