PDA

View Full Version : Powerdisc addiction?

Eric Matuszewski
08-19-2004, 10:43 AM
I've been using the Powerdisc attached to a 371 gram 2pts HL prestige classic for a total weight of 15 oz for the last week and my hand speed on all the strokes is noticeably higher than before training when I remove the weight.

I feel the extra heft forces me to use my legs more and less of the smaller muscles. (A very good thing). More racket head speed probably do to less "lazy cheating" with smaller muscles.

Only problem is that it feels so good and solid when I hit with it on, that I don't want to take it off.

I know someone posted about this thing before. Anyone else have any experiences with it?

kninetik
08-19-2004, 01:03 PM
I think I was the other poster. I loved the extra added weight so much I bought an extra 48 grams of lead tape so I can properly adjust balance and such. I loved the extra weight so much I didnt want to play without it :D

Bungalo Bill
08-19-2004, 01:17 PM
I think I was the other poster. I loved the extra added weight so much I bought an extra 48 grams of lead tape so I can properly adjust balance and such. I loved the extra weight so much I didnt want to play without it :D

Wow, 48 grams! Geez loueeez! :shock:

Bungalo Bill
08-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Eric,

I would like to know something about this device.

When you take the weight off the racquet, do you notice an improvement in your strokes and why. But I dont want to know about the "why" the manufacture says. I would like for you to provide a respons based on an honest assessment of your own findings both pro and con. I obviously know about one con - addiction or adaption.

How has it improved your consistancy and form?

Eric Matuszewski
08-19-2004, 01:41 PM
that's approx 180 inches of 1/4 inch tape to put on. 3/4 inch cuts it to about 30 inches.

Which tape did you use?

I gotta see a picture of this thing.

This whole experience got me thinking alot about comments of lighter rackets making things too easy (I felt like I could even serve harder with the 15oz). After this I'm not sure it's so cut and dry.

Are lighter rackets making it harder for us to learn to use our legs?

Assuming a kid has learned the rough technique, should he move to the heavyest stick possible to keep him using his legs until his growth stops.

Alot of little kids (under 70lbs) I've worked with prefer heavy sticks.

I questioned wheather they really prefered 12 plus oz weight (take into consideration their light body weights) or if they just wanted to play with what the coach was using.

It's so much more comfortable though with that added weight, hard to feel any shock on the wrist. And the stability is like heaven.

Eric Matuszewski
08-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Response to Bills question...

On every stroke the biggest difference I feel upon taking it off is that, I'm kicking the court harder (then the ball just explodes of the strings without too much thought).

It's also easier to pull the ball into the court.

The racket head comes over the ball easier (topspin forehand, top serve).

The most promissing thing about this device is that a coach doesn't have to use words (a frequently inefficient process) so much to tell someone how to use bigger muscles on the strokes. When the racket weights alot more the brain just compensate by increasing recruitment.

Bungalo Bill
08-19-2004, 01:58 PM
When I played in the late 70's, I played with the wood racquets. I used a TAD and eventually used the Dunlop Tear Drop racquet. To this day, although I have been lazy to prove it, I believe I served faster then vs. now with my current Volkl Tour 10. It could be because I was a lot more flexible and other things.

I have never used a "light" racquet for one reason. I don't feel my muscles store and transfer energy as well. I feel the shot more in my chest and shoulders on a forehand and can adjust the energy transfer from my legs easier.

Many players when I hit with them say I hit the ball harder than anyone they have ever played against. I dont know if it so much a contributing factor of my swing speed vs. I use heavier racquets. I think it is the heavier racquet plowing through the ball causing a deeper compression on the ball more than anything.

I get better control, and I have rarely ever had arm problems.

In my younger years, I switched to a Yonex (i forget the model) green aluminum racquet and shortly afterwards developed arm problems. Now, I realize a lot of factors are in play here, but I couldn't help noticing the coincidence. When I switched back to the heavier wood racquets, arm trouble went away.

I love weight on the racquet, I wish more players would hit with heavier racquets. But that is a personal choice. I also like leather grips as they are heavier and to me once they are broken in feel like a pair of your favorite jeans!

Eric Matuszewski
08-19-2004, 02:04 PM
I had tried strapping an adjustable ankle weight (with velcro) to the throat of rackets and warming up with them and got a similar result.

The ankle weight and racket I experimented with had the weight up to 3lbs. It worked to improve the backhand but It was too much to serve with or hit forehands, but I found out what my PeeWees felt like on the forehand side.

The powerdisc is nice though, because it stays still and doesn't slide around. Also serving and forehands still seem safe.

tried both on some kids (ankle weight style and powerdisc) and seemed to get some good results consistent with my personal experience.

kninetik
08-19-2004, 02:40 PM
How did I shove 48 grams into the racquet? Babolat's Super Double Dense Lead Tape. 8 in the handle. 12 on the shaft. That was the original modification. Then I added 20 on the shaft in a twirl fashion on each side. Did I say 48? I meant 60. I look like a walking advertisement for Babolat though. And 60 grams may sound like a lot, but its only 2 ounces and change balanced closer to the original balance point, which is a bit lighter than my powerdisc setup of only 1 metal insert of 2.4 ounces on the throat. Hmm lemme go snap a pic.

kninetik
08-19-2004, 03:00 PM
http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~dkim7/SV400059.JPG

Hidden under that wrap is the original 12 on the shaft. Works wonders on my backhand, is great for the forehand. However, once I take the weight off, I need an adjustment period to get the hang of the original weight again. And even then, my consistancy is greater with the weight on so instead of attaching the powerdisc on and off, I just decided on a permenant solution to keep it on.

vin
08-19-2004, 06:16 PM
http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~dkim7/SV400059.JPG[/url]

:shock:

I like heavy racquets also, particularly with some weight in the head so that the racquet is just a bit head light. Right now I'm at about 12.5 oz and plan to add some more shortly. If you have the strength to get the racquet going as fast as with a lighter racquet, there's no question that there will be more power and stability. I feel like the extra weight makes my swings more smooth and gradual also.

Although they don't recommend it, I read on easitennis.com that their racquets are really heavy. Something like 18oz! I could be wrong, but that's the number I remember.

kninetik
08-19-2004, 07:01 PM
For some reason, I hate having lead tape in the head or anywhere above the throat. Makes it feel bulky but thats probably due to the balance point moving straight up!

And Holy #$^%&*^ 18oz is insane. I thought I went over the top with lead tape!

Eric Matuszewski
08-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Kinnetix,

I'm really suprised that your PS85's balance isn't MORE Headlight now.

It seems most of the weight would have been added closer to the handle than the balance point.

you can find the balance with a tape measure and any round dowel.

Balance the racket on the dowel and measure to the end of the grip from the point it balances on.

subtact 1/8ths of an inch difference from 13 and 4/8ths (even balance).

each 1/8th is a point.

each 1/8th fewer than even balance is a point HL each more is a point HH.

kninetik
08-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Youre right, it moved down 4 points so now its 12 points headlight all together including the overgrip. I wanted the balance to be a bit headlight-er than the powerdisc. Didnt really want to change it from its original starting point, but if it doesnt make my racquet feel like a baseball bat, Im content with it.

Im guessing that there is a point where extreme headlightness will cause something catastrophic but I haven't reached it yet :o

Kobble
08-20-2004, 02:05 PM
I agree with the heavier racquets. My forehand was absolutely transformed in power and consistency from using a 15 oz wood racquet for 3 weeks. Eric, your right on, the weight does not allow you to cheat by using the small muscles. For the first time I really felt the stroke from the ground up using a more synchronized kinetic chain.

kreative
08-20-2004, 03:24 PM
how does it feel after 3 hours of hitting + manueverability on quick volley exchanges?