PDA

View Full Version : US open/New York 2007 - for the first time

lupitenis
12-28-2006, 08:39 AM
My Family and some friends are coming to the USA for the US Open in New York. I am trying to find a hotel around $100 dollars that is closed to the US Open or easy to get to. We want to enjoy the US Open but at the same time we want to visit all the tourist places. We would like to go the Labor Day week(The second week of the US OS Open).
Any info about the US Open would be greatly appreciated.

Lupitenis

the new new york
12-28-2006, 11:26 AM
take the trains its $2 a person. if you can find a place to stay you will be set.

West Coast Ace
12-28-2006, 11:52 AM
'Expensive' is relative - you should have posted a price range. Check Orbitz.com, Hotels.com, Yahoo Travel. Of course the dollar is weak relative to most currencies these days so you may think rooms are cheap in the US relative to London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc...

Manhattan is more expensive - but puts you right in the heart of the action. Or stay in one of the boroughs and spend less but put up with a 30 minute subway/train ride. I stayed out by JFK airport once - didn't feel that safe walking from the subway station after nightfall and probably will never stay outside of Manhattan again.

robkat
12-28-2006, 05:17 PM
I think the best place to stay is in the Times Square area.You are in the theater district plus you can hop on the #7 train to Flushing Meadows to go to the Open from Times square. As far as price for a Hotel, I do not know what it cost now or will cost next Sept. A few years ago, when I was up at the open I met people who were from out of town and they were staying in Times square at the Milford and the Edison Hotels. My wife stayed at those two Hotels a few years back as well. She said that she paid $160, per night. I remember some of the poeple I met at the open used Hotel.com and were paying $100 per night at the Milford.

heycal
12-29-2006, 12:07 AM
My Family and some friends are coming to the USA for the US Open in New York. I am trying to find a place to stay no too expensive. Where to stay in New York? We want to enjoy the US Open but at the same time we want to visit all the tourist places. We would like to go the Labor Day week.
Any info about the US Open would be greatly appreciated.

Lupitenis

Stay anywhere in Manhattan. Might be expensive but well worth it. Consider buying good seats in Armstrong stadium during the first week of play -- you'll get to see some great players up close at a fraction of the price it costs to be that close in Ashe stadium. Don't forget to check out all the side court matches as well. If you are short on money, and around during the early part of the tournament, consider buying a grounds pass for 45 bucks or so. You'll get to see some great tennis on the various side courts, and are allowed admission to any match except those in Ashe. (Unless you have great seats in Ashe, it's not a great place to see tennis.)

i am a tennis freak
12-29-2006, 07:24 AM
I was at the US Open for the 1st time last year and cant wait to get back....................If money is tight i would suggest checking out hotels in the queens area that are along the # 7 subway line. There are many and you could get them cheap. Say 50- 80 a night.............As i was riding the # 7 train one hotel came to mind that was 1 stop before the Flushing stop...that was La Quinta hotel ( queens NY) . ......................If you want to include many of the great NY tourist (traps) sights i would suggest staying in Manhatten..... 3-5 months before the Open i would suggest checking out Priceline for hotels.....A bid of $100- 120 should land you a nice hotel in Manhatten.....Sheraton types....................from Manhatten you can take the # 7 train at Times Square (42nd st) or a quicker ride would be at PennStation ( 34th ST) the LIRR train will get you there in 14 Minutes.......All that info will be posted on usopen.org when the times comes.............NEVER a need for a car in NYC..................If you are going the 2nd week i would think you almost have to buy TIx in the Stadium............The first week ground passes are the best way to go.............Usually early in the tourney you will be allowed in the main stadium ( in the day only) with only a grounds pass....................Ground passes are cheapest . The main stadium seating is probabaly the worst in tennis

nyc
12-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Check out the Hotel Edison - I think that's the most reasonable in a central location without being dodgy.

rasajadad
12-29-2006, 11:29 AM
I was at the US Open for the 1st time last year and cant wait to get back....................If money is tight i would suggest checking out hotels in the queens area that are along the # 7 subway line. There are many and you could get them cheap. Say 50- 80 a night.............As i was riding the # 7 train one hotel came to mind that was 1 stop before the Flushing stop...that was La Quinta hotel ( queens NY) . ......................If you want to include many of the great NY tourist (traps) sights i would suggest staying in Manhatten..... 3-5 months before the Open i would suggest checking out Priceline for hotels.....A bid of $100- 120 should land you a nice hotel in Manhatten.....Sheraton types....................from Manhatten you can take the # 7 train at Times Square (42nd st) or a quicker ride would be at PennStation ( 34th ST) the LIRR train will get you there in 14 Minutes.......All that info will be posted on usopen.org when the times comes.............NEVER a need for a car in NYC..................If you are going the 2nd week i would think you almost have to buy TIx in the Stadium............The first week ground passes are the best way to go.............Usually early in the tourney you will be allowed in the main stadium ( in the day only) with only a grounds pass....................Ground passes are cheapest . The main stadium seating is probabaly the worst in tennis

As a lifelong New Yorker, I'd caution against staying in Queens especially if you are planning on being at the night matches. Stay in the city. Do one of those hotwire searches and get a deal OR save up and stay at a nicer place that the (lower level) players stay at: Grand Hyatt, Intercontinental, etc...

Fee
12-29-2006, 12:42 PM
I went to the Open in 2005. I stayed at the W in Manhattan and rode the subway to and from Flushing each day. I will join those who recommend staying somewhere in Manhattan (along the 7 or something that connects quickly to it). I do not recommend the W (the rooms are tiny and overpriced). Check out bookingbuddy.com or mobissimo.com for hotels.

If you think you might change your schedule and be at the Open on the first day, I STRONGLY recommend that you purchase your tickets in advance, even if you have to pick them up at the will call window. The line to purchase tickets on the first day is 2-3 hours long.