PDA

View Full Version : Good string for dwelltime or pocketing.

w00gy
12-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi all,

Just want your advise on a soft string to pocket the ball and give me loads of dwelltime. I usually string it @ 24/25 kg aka 54/55 lbs.
I'm on a thight budget so natural gut is not an option for me.

ty,

w00

PS: natural gut is a bit exspensive.

aroddick
12-28-2006, 10:30 AM
X-one Biphase or NXT there are soft. Biphase is powerfull.

I would go with NRG2 16 with string savers

Ripper
12-28-2006, 12:39 PM
So, you want loads of ball pocketing and dwell time? I like Yonex 880 Soft.

xtremerunnerars
12-28-2006, 12:51 PM
I have tried both at X-1 Biphase and NXT, and I would have to go with NXT. For me, Biphase wasn't lively enough. NXT was crisp right away and at that tension it would be great.

p.s. for more dwell time, string at around 20 lbs. :p

w00gy
12-28-2006, 01:16 PM
So, you want loads of ball pocketing and dwell time? I like Yonex 880 Soft.

ever tried it?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback.html?pcode=ATG880TI is where the customer reviews are.

They scare me :-|

Jesse K.
12-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Use a half set of gut in the mains and a nice muti cross. You'll be amazed.

arifed
12-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Hi all,

Just want your advise on a soft string to pocket the ball and give me loads of dwelltime. I usually string it @ 24/25 kg aka 54/55 lbs.
I'm on a thight budget so natural gut is not an option for me.

ty,

w00

PS: natural gut is a bit exspensive.

First of all, you should tell us which racquet you play with.
Depending on this, it would be possibile to consider if you can lower your current tension; in my opinion this is the very first step to take to increase ball pocketing.

As far as strings are concerned, I would advice you to try Tecnifibre NGR which is one of the softest string out there.
The gauge depends on your string pattern: if it's open, a thin string would probably break too soon for your budget.

Let us know.

snoflewis
12-28-2006, 11:11 PM
if you want more ball pocketing, string the mains 2-3 lbs higher...you'll definitely get more dwell time and a tad bit more power...

bad_call
12-29-2006, 04:53 AM
recently played with a Tecnifibre Multifeel and PSGD combo which had very nice pocketing as well as good spin. i choose the Multifeel because of the reasonable price and customer feedback. this combo may work for u but u may want to string on the lower tension for ur racquet. BTW - it was the T10 VE Mid that was strung with this combo.

theace21
12-29-2006, 06:39 AM
Use a half set of gut in the mains and a nice muti cross. You'll be amazed.

That is what I do, reduces the cost in half, and you still get most of the benefits...

w00gy
12-30-2006, 07:09 PM
First of all, you should tell us which racquet you play with.
Depending on this, it would be possibile to consider if you can lower your current tension; in my opinion this is the very first step to take to increase ball pocketing.

As far as strings are concerned, I would advice you to try Tecnifibre NGR which is one of the softest string out there.
The gauge depends on your string pattern: if it's open, a thin string would probably break too soon for your budget.

Let us know.

OK,to complete the info.

My skill: European rankings say: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 1 being a pro, 10 being a total noob or veteran. The system works dynamically meaning players can score 8.9 or 8.01 in one competion. I take grouplessons and lean toward 8.0, possibly a weak 7. I'm european so i'm unsure about converting my rating to whatever US rating it would be. 8 just stands for " ready for competition level play" and means i have developed good enough strokes from serve to volley yet no understanding of the game. ;)

Racquet: Wilson Pro Staff 6.0 85"
Current String:Hybrid setup with: Mains: Babolat Pro Hurricane @ 25kg|55lbs \ Crosses: Technifibre Synthetic Gut @ 25kg|55lbs.
String age: Got it strung 2nd half of september and have played about 20 hrs with it.
Previous strings: Full Wilson Sensation, Full Technifibre Synthetic Gut.
Review:Weird setup and i will never string it like this again. The ball really flew of the strings the first 2 hrs. An almost airy-sensation. Now after 20 i dont feel any air. I think it's become more stiff or "dead". What is DO like is the low tension. I guess it's about 21/22kg 48/50lbs maybe even lower..
My playing style: Started tennis a little under 2 years ago. I'm transitioning from an agressive playing style to a more controlled way of playing. My coach says i would make 75% less UE's playing a game of control.

Got a litte story which is funny. I used to play tennis when a was about 10/11 years ( 24 currently). I recently went back to my parents home to see if my old racquet was still there and it was. It was a junior racquet, cheap, i think it's made of iron or whatever. I weighed about the same as my PS unstrung. :)

So i need a need a soft string know for its dwelltime to go with my controlled way of playing.

Any suggestions are welcome even the hybrids. ;)