PDA

View Full Version : Confession: I do not know how to string!

xtremerunnerars
12-28-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm completely lost in this whole stringing thing. There, I said it.

I'm stringing with a Prince Force 3 Sebring Ti OS LB:
http://www.princetennis.com/product/product_detail.asp?Product=811

That's a link to the stringing pattern page, but that isn't the place where I am confused (yet).

First off, I don't even know how to mount the racquet. I have little tiny mounters, and then there are larger ones. Does the mounting screw go inside the tip of the frame or outside? Also, where does the throat screw go?

Once that simple problem is resolved, there is the trouble of deciphering what these symbols mean. The pattern says to skip 8t & 8h. In the USRSA "manual" that came with the stringer, it says that the t there means skip that hole (both sides(?)) at the throat. The force 3 only has 6 throat holes...am I missing something here?

I have my string cut in two pieces because that's how I am going to string the frame.

I will probably still keep coming up with questions, and I REALLY appreciate any help with this.

-Where am I going to start stringing
-What holes (location) am I going to skip?
-What knot am I starting with, and where do I tie it?

Court_Jester
12-28-2006, 02:11 PM
First off, I don't even know how to mount the racquet. I have little tiny mounters, and then there are larger ones. Does the mounting screw go inside the tip of the frame or outside? Also, where does the throat screw go?
Inside the frame. They prevent the hoop from shortening once you start tensioning the mains. The throat screw also goes inside the frame but this time, it goes in the lower part of the hoop.

Once that simple problem is resolved, there is the trouble of deciphering what these symbols mean. The pattern says to skip 8t & 8h. In the USRSA "manual" that came with the stringer, it says that the t there means skip that hole (both sides(?)) at the throat. The force 3 only has 6 throat holes...am I missing something here?
The "T" means the throat and "H" means the top or the head of the hoop. When the pattern tells you to skip 8T and 8H, it means that you don't put the string through those holes and instead, you have to put them on the next one, i.e., 9T and 9H. BTW, to give the holes those designations, it goes something like this: the two grommets in the middle of the throat are given the designation 1T. Then, going either left or right, you call the next grommet hole 2T, then the next is 3T, etc. The same scheme works for the grommet holes at the top but this time, they are given the "H" designation.

For more information, go to this site (http://www.sptennis.com/stringer.asp#Ready) for a stringing tutorial. Try watching the videos also but unfortunately, they appear to be offline right now.

-Where am I going to start stringing
-What holes (location) am I going to skip?
-What knot am I starting with, and where do I tie it?
According to the string pattern you provided, you start at the throat (Start M: T).

You skip 8th holes from the bottom (both sides) and you also skip the 8th holes from the top (both sides also)

You use the starting knot when you start stringing the crosses in a 2-piece stringing. Go to this site (http://www.keohi.com/tennis/misc/knots.htm) for a primer on which knots to use and how to do them.

BigServer1
12-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Prince usually dots their mains too, so you know where to go and what holes to skip.

Good luck!

Richie Rich
12-28-2006, 02:14 PM
t and h = throat and head. 8t = 8th grommet hole from the center of the throat. on each side of the frame.

just saw court_jester's post - good amount of detail that should be able to help you out

Richie Rich
12-28-2006, 02:15 PM
btw, just make sure you mount the frame properly. you don't want to warp or break the frame when you string it.

xtremerunnerars
12-28-2006, 04:50 PM
btw, just make sure you mount the frame properly. you don't want to warp or break the frame when you string it.

It's such an old and lousy frame that it really wouldn't bother me.

Thanks a lot guys, I was expecting someone to laugh at me!

I might try and string one before bed tonight, depending on how much I can get done.

diredesire
12-28-2006, 05:17 PM
It's such an old and lousy frame that it really wouldn't bother me.

I might try and string one before bed tonight, depending on how much I can get done.

Trust me, EVERYONE's been there at some point or another. I would suggest if you have a friend that knows what's up, have them come look at your machine with you, explain things, and perhaps sit down with you while you string one, or watch them string one. The basic idea on all machines are the same, there are slight variations in tensioning, clamp and mounting systems, though. The process itself is more or less very, very similar across machines.

As far as the process goes, I strongly, strongly suggest that you read, and re-read your manual 2-3 times fully before even making the attempt. It sure is slow, but you're much less likely to make a mistake. Once you think you understand the process by paper, you're ready to try it physically, and you're less likely to trip up on one thing if you've tried to wrap your head around it already.

Also, if there is a video of the SP Swing on sptennis.com, you might want to check that out! It should help clear things up even more.

Cheers, and good luck!

Steve Huff
12-28-2006, 06:39 PM
What kind of machine are you using?

diredesire
12-28-2006, 06:59 PM
What kind of machine are you using?

Gamma X-2, judging via other threads.

Richie Rich
12-29-2006, 04:21 AM
Gamma X-2, judging via other threads.

2 point mount? again, make sure you mount the frame properly.

Richie Rich
12-29-2006, 04:23 AM

as DD wrote, we've all been there before too.

i've been stringing for years and i still learn new things from the boards.

GeorgiaRoyal
12-29-2006, 07:35 AM
my first attempt to string a racquet was pretty laughable (at the time it was pretty frustrating). When I ended, I had 3 or 4 holes with no string going through them. My last knot didn't hold when I unclamped and then I couldn't unmount the racquet because I had pretty much strung the racquet to the machine. All of that took me roughly 4 hours. :-( I felt like a total idiot.

The next day, I gave it another go and did much better. I strung 2 racquets in about 2 hours and 15 minutes. However, I inadvertantly skipped a hole so I had to cut the strings out and do it again. My other racquet is a Prince O3 Tour. I was stringing with a single string, and as it turns out, it really does matter what side is the short side. It says it on the racquet "short side", but I guess I didn't think it mattered. Maybe it wouldn't on most racquets, but on an O3 it does. So, I had to cut the strings out and do that one again, too. My next attempts were good. So, I only ended up wasting 3 string lengths. I went out and hit with my tour yesterday (the first time since putting the new strings in it) and I was pretty happy with it.

SteveI
12-29-2006, 10:06 AM
as DD wrote, we've all been there before too.

i've been stringing for years and i still learn new things from the boards.

Yes....to be sure. When you get that 1st one done.. it will be like heaven!

Steve

xtremerunnerars
12-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Starting to understand...and just went up to try it.

How the hell do you do the first two mains? The manual uses 1 piece stringing that starts at the head (isn't step by step either, more just concept)...and the sp site uses 1 piece statring at the head as well.

I am doing two piece stringing starting at the throat with 6 holes. I took one of the two pieces, grabbed the ends and then threaded them through. I then thread those through the grommets directly above them located in the head. I clamp the two strings close to the throat leaving space for another clamp, wind one of the strings around the tensioner, and tension. Then i placed the other clamp in that space i just left.

After that, i release the tensioning arm but the strings sag under the weight of the clamps like I didn't do anything. What's wrong!!?

Court_Jester
12-29-2006, 05:52 PM
How the hell do you do the first two mains? The manual uses 1 piece stringing that starts at the head (isn't step by step either, more just concept)...and the sp site uses 1 piece statring at the head as well.
Stringing the mains is the same, whether you're doing 1-piece or 2-piece stringing. Watch the videos on the SP website. It strings a racquet that starts from the throat.

I am doing two piece stringing starting at the throat with 6 holes. I took one of the two pieces, grabbed the ends and then threaded them through. I then thread those through the grommets directly above them located in the head. I clamp the two strings close to the throat leaving space for another clamp, wind one of the strings around the tensioner, and tension. Then i placed the other clamp in that space i just left.

After that, i release the tensioning arm but the strings sag under the weight of the clamps like I didn't do anything. What's wrong!!?
Make sure that you clamped the last string you threaded with the other clamp. When you release the tensioner, these two string should remain taut. However, one of the first mains should slacken. At this point, do not remove the first clamp yet. Tension this slack main and then clamp it using the first clamp. By this time, all three strings should be taut after releasing the tensioner. After this stage, simply repeat the process, alternating either sides.

TDabone
12-30-2006, 11:35 AM
I have been stringing racquets now for 3 years. I never have to look at a string pattern to figure out where the string goes. Most of the time it is obvious. Not only can you see how the string has stretched the grommets in a certain direction, but the spacing of the strings will look wrong if you don't do it correctly.

Trevor

www.MyTennisTournaments.com

Dashbarr
12-30-2006, 06:13 PM
im still trying to get the hang of starting the mains too. but by the time i turn 14, ill have it down.

TDabone, in most cases it really obvious which grommets have crosses.

Steve Huff
12-30-2006, 08:49 PM
Now, what racket are you trying to string?

goober
12-31-2006, 09:14 AM
I have been stringing racquets now for 3 years. I never have to look at a string pattern to figure out where the string goes. Most of the time it is obvious. Not only can you see how the string has stretched the grommets in a certain direction, but the spacing of the strings will look wrong if you don't do it correctly.

Trevor

I love these statements where people brag about their abilities but do absolutely nothing to help the OP. Yeah well I don't look at string patterns either. whoopdeedoo. You rock man. When you first start out stringing I highly suggest that you do look at the string patterns because it is not obvious to a noob stringer.

xtremerunnerars
12-31-2006, 09:43 AM
I really feel like i'm just one step away from getting this whole stringing thing.

What is the purpose of clamping? When i have strings clamped together, what should I have just done and/or what am I going to do next? (always have two clamped btw, right?)

I feel like i'm just arbitrarily clamping strings after i tension the second main.

GeorgiaRoyal
12-31-2006, 10:18 AM
I've strung 2 racquets correctly in my life, so take this for what you will:

The clamping thing was tricky to me to start with, but then I got it figured out. After the string has been tensioned, you have to clamp it to maintain that tension (clamp as close to the frame as you can). Then you can release it from the tensioner. When you use that same end of the string going onto the next hole, you can unclamp (only when it is still attached to the tensioner) what you just did and move it to the end of the newly tensioned string (close to the frame). Then you can release the string from the tensioner and the string tension will be maintained.

FH2FH
12-31-2006, 10:26 AM
I've just started to string too. Clamping is the easy part, except doing the crosses near the very top and bottom. I would say ipulling the crosses is my least favorite part. My fingers still hurt from that, not to mention tying the knots and getting the string through the holes where you tie off.

Is it worth doing? Probably, because I have the time to do it and would like to think I'll be getting more consistent results than several different people.

xtremerunnerars
12-31-2006, 01:06 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after much experimenting, i figured out the clamps for the mains. Basically, you use the clamp closest to you after you tension a string.

I'm done with the mains (finished 1 ahead on the right, so had to do two in a row on the left) and i'm ready to start the crosses!

diredesire
12-31-2006, 03:56 PM
congrats. The most difficult part about learning by yourself is trying to decipher what other people are trying to describe. If you can view a video, it's much more helpful.

All in all, the whole process is straightforward and it DOES make sense, but you don't see why until you get over your initial uneasiness. You'll get it.

xtremerunnerars
12-31-2006, 09:08 PM
Before I left for a new years party, i tried starting the crosses.

First off, I had a little trouble finishing the mains. From what I saw, i tensioned the last strings and then passed the remaining string through the nearest oversized grommet. I did the double hitch knot (I don't see how that works...all i did was wrap over the top two times!?!) and then tensioned. I repeated that for the other last main.

And when I got to start the crosses, I had no idea how or where to do the starting knot. I didn't want to do it one the outside because I was pretty sure that was where it doesn't belong.

diredesire
12-31-2006, 09:28 PM
Before I left for a new years party, i tried starting the crosses.

First off, I had a little trouble finishing the mains. From what I saw, i tensioned the last strings and then passed the remaining string through the nearest oversized grommet. I did the double hitch knot (I don't see how that works...all i did was wrap over the top two times!?!) and then tensioned. I repeated that for the other last main.

And when I got to start the crosses, I had no idea how or where to do the starting knot. I didn't want to do it one the outside because I was pretty sure that was where it doesn't belong.

You don't tension your knots. I have a video somewhere of a double half hitch knot, if you'd like to see it, let me know ;)

xtremerunnerars
12-31-2006, 09:52 PM
is it in the directory of your website? I listed the virtual directory the other day, and i think i saw it in there.

sorry...i couldn't help myself. :p cool pics of those racquets!
*edit* found it, thanks! I'll try it later.

diredesire
01-01-2007, 01:28 PM
is it in the directory of your website? I listed the virtual directory the other day, and i think i saw it in there.

sorry...i couldn't help myself. :p cool pics of those racquets!
*edit* found it, thanks! I'll try it later.

shh! :)

Let me know how the resolution is... I haven't posted the videos because I plan to do a voice over sometime in the future.

xtremerunnerars
01-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Why can I not get this!?!?! I'm going to post what i do, step by step.

1.Put the center mains through both holes.

2.Clamp those mains together

3.Weave one of those mains through the next grommets.

4.Tension this main

5.Clamp it to the closest center main

6.Weave the recently clamped+tensioned main through the next grommets, and tension it. Then, while it's still on the tensioner, clamp it using the closest clamp (ie one i just used)

7.I don't exactly know what to do here...I can't tell on the SP video bc of low quality and a strange angle for something like this.

I feel soooo stupid....

bmichaelia
01-10-2007, 04:23 AM
:-D Did you also see this Stringing Guide? It helped me.

http://www.stringforum.net/stringingguide.php

mctennis
01-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Take it to a professional stringer. Never try to do another mans profession.