PDA

View Full Version : joining usrsa

tennis-skater
12-28-2006, 03:00 PM
I just string rackets for myself and was wondering if paying the $109 to join the usrsa is worthless or pointless?

ChicagoJack
12-28-2006, 03:52 PM
You could do a 1 month membership for $ 9.00. That way you would have a better idea what it has to offer you.

Some years I paid for the whole year. I got a lot of information that was new to me the first few years, but after that it made sense to do it month to month as needed. when I get myself 9 dollars worth of questions that I just cant find answers to, I rejoin.

http://www.usrsa.com/registration/temp_membership.html
-Jack

Dr. Van Nostrand
12-28-2006, 04:11 PM
If you just string your own racquets then a USRSA membership is probably not worth the cost. You can get a few string samples throughout the year which can be nice if you want to experiment with different kinds of string. The manuals with all the string patterns is helpful but again if you are only stringing your own racquets they may not be of a much value to you. The Racquet Sports Industry magazine you get with a USRSA subscription is mostly for people earning their livelihood from racquet sports as it covers a lot business and industry topics. The amount of information for stringers is about 20%-25% of the magazine contents
If you want to get some get some really solid stringing tips visit the GSS site. The core guys there really know what they are talking about when it comes to stringing.

diredesire
12-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Depends where you are, and what you want to do with your stringing. Like it has been said, a lot of the people subscribing to the magazine are "industry" types, and/or types that make a relatively significant amount of money stringing. This being said, if you are a serious hobby stringer, or want to learn much, much more than what you already know, you can always subscribe and see what is up. You will need the membership if you want to get certified as either a CS, or MRT.

I have read through a manual, and there are a lot of good tips, but I do not subscribe as it is a cost that I cannot justify (regardless of how insubstantial of a cost it is per month). I plan on getting certified at some point in my stringing "career," but for me, at the moment the only reason it'd be useful is the fact that I could say that I am certified. I wouldn't be making any more or any less at my job with the certification, so the money for now would just be wasted.

Sagittar
12-28-2006, 06:44 PM
guys , anybody know how i can learn stringing from scratch ?

diredesire
12-28-2006, 07:28 PM
guys , anybody know how i can learn stringing from scratch ?

Probably best to start your own, new thread about this. In a nutshell, i'd check out sptennis.com Download one of their machine's manuals and read it a few times (the more you read it, the more it will make sense).

Watch a video or two on the same site, look around for features and/or machines you think you'd like. Don't rush into buying a machine, take your time and convince yourself of what you'd like. I'd check out varuscelli's site (photostringer.com) for more comparisons and pictures.

Steve Huff
12-28-2006, 07:32 PM
There are very few rackets I couldn't figure out by just looking at them. That said, I still enjoy the RSi magazine, although I do wish it would expand some so that advertisement didn't make up so much of the content. I subscribe 3 years at a time.

Sagittar--get a machine. It will probably have some basic instructions. I learned on my own in about 1979. It's not rocket science. If you look at your racket, you can count how many strings it has going each way. String the mains (the ones that run the length of the racket) first. You know you have to weave each cross. Practice makes you faster. Get a cheap reel of nylon, and old racket and go at it. Of course, it would be easier with a video from USRSA.

Netgame
03-13-2007, 06:29 PM
If you just string your own racquets then a USRSA membership is probably not worth the cost. You can get a few string samples throughout the year which can be nice if you want to experiment with different kinds of string. The manuals with all the string patterns is helpful but again if you are only stringing your own racquets they may not be of a much value to you. The Racquet Sports Industry magazine you get with a USRSA subscription is mostly for people earning their livelihood from racquet sports as it covers a lot business and industry topics. The amount of information for stringers is about 20%-25% of the magazine contents
If you want to get some get some really solid stringing tips visit the GSS site. The core guys there really know what they are talking about when it comes to stringing.
What is the GSS site?

dancraig
03-13-2007, 07:21 PM

aidenous
03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
GSS is a website all about stringing. I think listing here would get blocked. Try: grand slam stringers dot com no spaces of
course.

jonolau
03-13-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm a home stringer and joined USRSA when I started stringing last year. I does help to read some of the articles.

I don't think it is imperative for a home stringer to be a USRSA member and I do share the same views as diredesire. However, if cost is not much of an objection, and if you have lots of time to trawl the site, you will learn a lot from the articles in there.

LoveThisGame
03-14-2007, 07:30 PM
tennis-skater,

You changed since 12/28 didn't you? In another thread today, you stated "I'm in the process of getting my MRT now."