PDA

View Full Version : Exactly how do you do a topspin serve?

adult_squid
08-19-2004, 04:55 PM
I look it up all over the place but cant find how to really do it
can anyone give a good explanation or give me a link on good directions with pics or clips

Bungalo Bill
08-19-2004, 05:12 PM
have you tried here?

http://tennis.about.com/library/blfaqspse3.htm

adult_squid
08-22-2004, 04:18 PM
what does it mean to swing foward and sharply upward
it doesnt make sense to me

is there a clip of someone doing it i can download

Bungalo Bill
08-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Arm is going forward and up, the body supports the movement.

http://tennisplayer.net/members/biomechanics/quantum_tennis_serve%20_brian_gordon_images/back.gif

Mikael
08-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Learning how to hit a topspin/kick serve was an extremely long struggle for me. Many times I just felt like quitting and deciding I wasn't made to hit topspin/kick serves... Yet I eventually succeeded in learning it.

Once you find out about the basics (brush up on the ball essentially) you may still find that you cannot hit a topspin serve. That is entirely normal. In this case, the key is really to experience the stroke yourself, know what it feels like. And if you've never hit a topspin serve before, it's going to take a little time to unlock the proper swing and the proper feel.

My suggestion is to find yourself an empty court and a bunch of tennis balls. Try standing as far back as possible, close to the back fence, and then try hitting serves. You may also kneel down to make it even more difficult. This will force you to hit up on the ball and brush it.

At first, only hit with your arm. Don't use the rest of your body. Force yourself to brush up on the ball, with your arm only. The key is to find the correct swingpath. Don't quit, keep hitting those serves from way behind the court. Choking up on the grip helps a lot if you still have trouble finding that brushing feel.

Once you start feeling comfortable with the brush and you're hitting all of those serves in, you can move up to the baseline and serve from the normal position, gradually hitting harder and using your whole body. This last part takes time though.

I assume that you already know how to hit a flat/slice serve and have decent mechanics for that. The key is commitment. You have to give yourself the opportunity to learn the topspin serve, and that necessarily involves an empty court with plenty of time to practice. It took me a very long time simply because I was never ready to make the commitment until a short time ago (going to the club and hitting serves alone seemed too boring). It's the only way though.

drakulie
08-23-2004, 05:09 AM
Easitennis.com. They have an awesome breakdown of the kick serve, with short video clips, and pictures from every angle. Well worth joining the site.