PDA

View Full Version : Who in the world has ever strung with......

Borat
12-29-2006, 12:26 AM
does anyone have any feedback on any of these strings? they seem okay, but nobody seems to have any experience with them. How do they compare with the big boys like Luxilon,Topspin, Price SG?
Polyester
-Tecnifiber Polyspin
-PolyFibre Hightec
-Alpha, RAB Monoflex
-ISO-Speed Pyramid
-Leopard Plus Control
-KLIP K-Boom
-Volkl V-Rex
-Unique Tourna Poly BH
-Ashaway Monogut
Synthetic Gut
-Alpha Viper MXT
-Ashaway Dynamite
-Alpha Gut 2000
-Forten Synthetic Gut Sweet
-Ashaway Synthetic Gut
-Gamma Synthetic gut
-Head Synthetic Gut
-Klip Synthetic Gut
-Gosen Super Tec AK
-Gosen OG Jim Courier
-Babolat Razor Spin
-Babolat Super Fine Play

Any information would be appreciated.

diredesire
12-29-2006, 01:47 AM
[quote=Borat;1137848]does anyone have any feedback on any of these strings? they seem okay, but nobody seems to have any experience with them. How do they compare with the big boys like Luxilon,Topspin, Price SG?

TF Polyspin: Basic poly, cheap and durable, sort of like wilson enduro. It loses tension a little too quick for my liking, decent spin, low power. Typical first gen poly, i'd say.
RAB Monoflex: People have played with this one, it's a little more powerful and lively than your normal 1st gen poly. Holds tension reasonably well. I'd say it's a step up from the generic/cheap first gen polys. Pretty comfortable, but i wouldn't stock it.

Leopard plus control: low powered (at first), after it relaxes and settles in a little is a pretty darn good string. It's pretty comfortable, and has excellent spin production. I'd say if you're willing to break in a string for an hour or two, this one's worth a look. It's pretty predictable of a feel after it breaks in.

Unique Tourna Poly BH: Supposedly this has an oval shape which is good for spin production, i can't confirm this. Lux ALU "clone," except a little softer. Similar to Topspin Cyberflash.

Ashaway monogut: I personally didn't like this string very much, muted, and not very responsive or crisp. Hit OK at first, and then lost tension/playability after only a few hours. For the price, it's worth a try, at least, but after that... nothing worth talking about, IMO.

Syn guts:

Alpha Viper MXT: Gets good comments around here, I think Steve Huff might chime in here later about it. It plays fairly lively, but I've only had experience with it in hybrids. A player around here hits with Ashaway Kevlar + MXT crosses. Elongates nicely and seems to hold tension pretty well. But like i said, my experience with it is pretty limited.

Alpha Gut 2000: Not a bad string at all. A unique feel, soft, but sightly muted. Not as mushy or stretchy as a high end multifilament. A little thick for the gauge (typically). Like i said, it's unique, so you sort of have to try it. Some people love it, some people hate it. The guys that i've strung up seemed to have been lovers, not haters.

Forten Sweet: I like this string, especially for crosses in hybrids. It doesn't seem to add or take away too much from a main string, which is probably the best way i can describe it. It wears nicely in the crosses, thinning until it snaps. Holds tension relatively well, is cheap as beans, and isn't too firm. Depending on what you use it for, this can be a ver value friendly string. I'd rate it in my top 5 cross choices for hybrids. I'd even hybrid gut with sweet if i had a limited selection.

Head syn gut: Nothing in particular stands out about this one, kind of similar to forten.

Ashaway syn gut: Good response, i like it in the cross strings. I've experienced a slight texture to the strings, which lends itslef to good spin, and i've always liked the response, very predictable with a medium firm feeling. Good feel! Underrated string.

Gamma syn gut: On par with prince, crisp feel, i'd say it's like a blend between prince original and wilson stamina. Comes in a lot of colors, which is nice.

Klip syn gut: there are a few "syn guts" from klip. I'm going to comment on klip's "syn gut." It stretches a little more than i like, i find that in a spring lock-out tensioner, this may lead to inconsistencies if the stringer is too rushed or isn't consistent with cranking. It wears a little quickly (for a cross), too, but is a lively, middle of the road string. Nothing special.

Gosen Micro J.C.: Crisp string, lively and a little firm playing. Lots of people love it, I didn't think it was mind-blowingly special. I wouldn't stock it for the premium. I like Gosen OG-Micro plenty fine.

Babolat Super Fine Play: Softer constructed string, durability isn't very great. Breaks quickly, but value (reel wise) is good. Brand name is also good, good as a base string for a home stringer. I personally wouldn't recommend it over any of the big boys, but it has it's own place.

Cheers!
-DD

Borat
12-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks a ton DD, you seem to be johnny on the spot with the string Qs!

xtremerunnerars
12-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Dire, what strings do you stock? Down the line I may have to stock some string not only for myself but for ppl that I will be stringing for.

Borat
12-29-2006, 02:44 PM
DD, I am a baseline player who occasionally comes in to the net. I hit a heavy topspin deep forehand, precision BH, and hard flat first serve with a kick second. If it is not too much, could you advise me the 3 best polyester, and 2 or 3 best synthetic guts above for me to add to my try list? Thanks a ton!
-Borat

PBODY99
12-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Ashway dynamite>>ZYEX based string, which I like in 16g only. it has a unique feel sort of like a firm multi.

Iso_Speed Pyramid, >> held it tension a bit better than Cyber Flash for me, the shapes effect I didn't notice

Gosen Super Tec Ak, it felt like a softer version of Alpha Gut 2000, nothing that I would carry.

Borat
12-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks PBODY, So the ISO-speed Pyramid shap does nothing? If anything I would expect it to break really easily. Was the string worth it as a poly?

Borat
12-29-2006, 04:20 PM
How is the duribility of Ashaway Dynamite? Would you put it in full string bed or in the crosses of a hybrid. Thanks

PBODY99
12-29-2006, 04:34 PM
It has held up for as many hours as the last set of Cyber Flash I installed. I'm a Player in the 55's so my string durability ratings may not be as good an indicator for many posters here.

Borat
12-29-2006, 04:43 PM
What gauges did you use of cyberflash and dynamite?

Borat
12-29-2006, 06:06 PM
Nobody for Polyfibre Hightec? Nobody with a
Yonex RDS001 tried this string cuz or the color?
http://i11.tinypic.com/4dlum9i.jpg

diredesire
12-31-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks a ton DD, you seem to be johnny on the spot with the string Qs!

Is that some sort of saying? Coincidentally, my name is johnny...

My top three.. I'd have a hard time even limiting it by that much!

I'd say for a fairly broad range of poly goodness, you'd probably want to try Gosen Polylon SP, Tecnifibre Pro Red Code, and Signum PPP (or Cyberflash). Polylon SP is a durable, but syn gut-esque feel, the PRC is a raw, low powered, spin friendly poly (closer to the basic first gen than most newer polys), and the newer generation co-poly strings like SPPP or Cyberflash are the rage right now. You'll probably gravitate towards one style, and you can choose your tastes and preferences (even in reel form) from there.

As far as syn guts go, I have a hard time recommending them without knowing exactly what you're going to be using them for... if it's just for hybrids, i suggest Forten Sweet for a basic, reliable cross. For a full syn gut job, I've always been a fan of Prince syn gut with duraflex, although many people seem to hate it. I also like Wilson stamina (these are base strings i'd stock if money were no concern). I also like Gosen's OG-Sheep Micro (non generic) for a full syn gut job. Very lively, and comfortable to boot! It's a different flavor than the above two.

(Sorry i took so long ot reply, been lacking an internet connection ;))

Borat
12-31-2006, 05:37 PM
Is that some sort of saying? Coincidentally, my name is johnny...

My top three.. I'd have a hard time even limiting it by that much!

I'd say for a fairly broad range of poly goodness, you'd probably want to try Gosen Polylon SP, Tecnifibre Pro Red Code, and Signum PPP (or Cyberflash). Polylon SP is a durable, but syn gut-esque feel, the PRC is a raw, low powered, spin friendly poly (closer to the basic first gen than most newer polys), and the newer generation co-poly strings like SPPP or Cyberflash are the rage right now. You'll probably gravitate towards one style, and you can choose your tastes and preferences (even in reel form) from there.

As far as syn guts go, I have a hard time recommending them without knowing exactly what you're going to be using them for... if it's just for hybrids, i suggest Forten Sweet for a basic, reliable cross. For a full syn gut job, I've always been a fan of Prince syn gut with duraflex, although many people seem to hate it. I also like Wilson stamina (these are base strings i'd stock if money were no concern). I also like Gosen's OG-Sheep Micro (non generic) for a full syn gut job. Very lively, and comfortable to boot! It's a different flavor than the above two.

(Sorry i took so long ot reply, been lacking an internet connection ;))

its okay, I'm subscribed to the thread. Thanks a lot for the info DD. LOL Johnny on the spot is a saying, it means someone is always there with the info/physical help when you need it. which 1 or 2 of the poly's I listed in the Op would you reccomend, if i may ask? Thanks again,
-Borat

diredesire
12-31-2006, 10:30 PM
I'd personally go with the leopard plus control and the tourna poly BH. Both kind of similar, though. The polyfibre string sounds interesting, but i haven't had the chance to hit with it yet.

damasta55
12-31-2006, 10:36 PM
I have premier ace strung which is supposed to be leopard plus control. Premier ace is definitely softer than lux alu power, which is the only other poly i've ever used. I would go with stringing premier ace full job, but for lux, i think it's way too stiff and would hybrid it.

PBODY99
01-01-2007, 06:26 AM
Thanks PBODY, So the ISO-speed Pyramid shap does nothing? If anything I would expect it to break really easily. Was the string worth it as a poly?
As I said, durability isn't an issue with a senior player such as myself. I used 16G of dynamite, in full sets for many years, the players I string this for tend to have Eastern grips & flat strokes. The value of any poly is in the hands of the hitter.

raftermania
01-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Borat, aren't you disparaging your country by using anything other than the pubis of a sexy ladies?

asintu
02-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Nobody for Polyfibre Hightec? Nobody with a
Yonex RDS001 tried this string cuz or the color?
http://i11.tinypic.com/4dlum9i.jpg

tried this in an APD...very cannon like string