PDA

View Full Version : LASIK and Night Tennis

wt888usa
08-19-2004, 07:23 PM
I just got LASIK surgery today, (yea I know, and I'm still on this board), and I was wondering, has anyone else had it? Did it seem to do anything to your tennis? Make it worse, better? How about your vision while playing tennis at night?

NoBadMojo
08-19-2004, 08:05 PM
think i read somewhere that lasik can adversely influence your night vison depending on the person. i would say you had a pretty successful procedure if you are typing stuff already so congrats ;) i think there are stories of athletes improving their performance after having corrective eye surgery.....ed

tennisboy87
08-21-2004, 05:11 PM
So, how did your surgery go? Seems pretty good so far. I want to get LASIK when I'm older (only 17 now), what age do you think would be okay for me to get it? I just get tired of contacts, and I don't like glasses that much easier. Also, has your tennis improved at all? Maybe you'll be able to return serve like Agassi now after undergoing LASIK.

wt888usa
08-24-2004, 07:49 AM
the surgery went well and since i'm younger than most LASIK patients (21), the flap healed very quickly. I haven't gotten a chance to do night tennis yet, but the "night glare" that is often talked about is actually less for me than when I had my contact lenses. i think 17 may be a little too young for LASIK, but it's different for each person. it all depends on when your eyes stabilize and your power doesn't change anymore. you can go to many LASIK doctors for a free consultation and they will check your eyes and see if you're a good candidate. but remember, the doctors are also trying to sell you a product, so some may be a little too optimistic. so far though, I have 20/20 vision and it's great not having to worry about contacts or glasses.

silent bob
08-25-2004, 06:20 AM
Your night vision will almost certainly be worse after the surgery compared to wearing a freshly cleaned pair of glasses. "Halos" and "starbursts" are very common - you'll know them when you see them. However, it is only really bad when you are looking into bright lights, such as headlights, and it gets better over time. As for tennis, your vision will almost certainly be better than if you are wearing a sweaty pair of glasses.

In Singapore, where all young men must serve in the military and perhaps 90% of the population are myopic, the government decided it would be better if its elite "commando" teams of soldiers were not dependent on specs or contacts. So they sent them off for LASIK, but most of them came back with seriously impaired night vision that could not be corrected. Doh!

Chanchai
08-25-2004, 07:13 AM
I've known people that had issues with halo vision and what not. Apparently, I'm one of the lucky ones who have not had any vision problems. Definitely nothing that ruins my play or serving or overheads during night conditions or at indoor courts. I had the operation done 3 years ago (I was 21 at the time). But yeah, I didn't have halos, or starbursts, or Capriati's black spots of doom or whatever (she had that corrected later on).

However, the issue that I've dealt with since having Lasik done is how quickly my eyes get dry and how prone they are to being infected if I don't get enough sleep for consecutive days. If I don't get a certain amount of sleep, my eyes will feel very dry and "scratchy." It'll actually feel like sand in my eyes or something, but it's an infection. If I rub it, of course it'll get worse, so I've been good about not touching it.

Eyedrops don't always help when I have this either.

Fortunately, it's mostly controlled and doesn't happen often, but with these late college nights...

Worst case scenario happened a year ago when the infection got real bad and it became a slight viral infection as well. Had a patch on my eye for two days (ARRRR~~!!!) and sorta had a blast playing tennis with no depth perception for a day. Used some special eyedrops prescribed to me (they stung) and after awhile, was well and good again.

Fortunately, my vision is still 20/20 and I don't have halo vision or any other similar problems. Guess I was just lucky. If lack of sleep is in the cards for the next few days, I usually use genteal gel for the little time I will be sleeping and that stuff has really helped keeping those eyes lubriated while asleep.

-Chanchai

PS... wow, the whole procedure must have improved if you're able to type and read well today. Then again, LCD Monitors (assuming you're on one) are much better for the eyes than CRTs. I slept for nearly a whole day after the operation, was wearing sunglasses daily for months, slept with goggles for months, and lubricated those eyes constantly. I do know that they use a better procedure for cutting the flap nowadays--last time I saw an optomotrist, he noted that it was apparent that I had undergone the old procedure because of the visible scars left by the flap (well, visible under specialized equipment of course).

matchpoints
09-07-2004, 05:26 PM
I had LASIK about a year and a half ago when i was 23. I made sure my eyes were always mosturized with TheraTears (the non preservative ones in vials). I also started taking Flax Seed Oil capsules which supposedly keep the eyelids mosturized and some other benefits. I also had gotten my tear ducts plugged twice with temporary dissolveable plugs.

I did all that for about 2 months and slowed down. About 6 months later i stopped using everything. I never had a problem during the entire time. According to my doc and some common sense, it was better to take care of them longer then common time periods then having to come back later for enhancements. As long as you keep them wet all the time, your eyes heal slowly, and that's what you want. The slower they heal, the less chance of halos and what not.

If I goto bars or get dehydrated, my eyes show right away. Then again, i always had dry eyes. Other then that, I LOVE IT. No problems whatsoever at night. No more tearing a contact on the tennis court. No more dirt in my contacts. No more getting glasses dirty.

All my friends have had great success with no night time issues. From what I understand, the new procedures allow an even higher success rate.

My eyes have been better then 20/20 since the day of surgery. Just be sure to take care of them and keep them MOISTURIZED and make sure to use preservative free natural tears eye drops. That means, no VISINE, NO CLEAR EYES. Only use the stuff in individual vials. I can't stress this enough.

Cheers