PDA

View Full Version : WTT leagues--anyone playing?

gully
12-29-2006, 01:48 PM
My community has an ongoing conflict with its USTA section and is considering playing its leagues outside the section or dropping the USTA altogether for league play. I am wondering if any of you have experience with WTT league play?

Our league play is not too serious -- mostly 3.5 and 4.0. From what I've read on the WTT website, the format looks fun and would have more teams with fewer members.

JRstriker12
12-29-2006, 02:30 PM
My community has an ongoing conflict with its USTA section and is considering playing its leagues outside the section or dropping the USTA altogether for league play. I am wondering if any of you have experience with WTT league play?

Our league play is not too serious -- mostly 3.5 and 4.0. From what I've read on the WTT website, the format looks fun and would have more teams with fewer members.

I play my tennis in Reston, VA. Our tennis association plays a team tennis in a format similar to to the WTT format - Two Singles (M/W), Two Doubles (M/W), Two Mixed Doubles, All games count towards final score, no ad scoring, super tie breaker if needed.

It's not a strict WTT format, but it's close.

I thought it was a lot of fun. I like that all games count, meaning it's more of a team game since eveyrone makes a contribution, even if you lose one of the sets. I usually got in more than one match on game night since I'd play both men's and mixed doubles. On occasions I played three matches, singles, doubles and mixed. Our team had a fun time.

Our league was divided into two tiers, a 3.5 and below league and a 3.5 and above league. On the upper tier, that did mean that every once in a while you ran into a very good player, but since the second tier was more open, I don't think there was some of the cheating and gamesmanship that year hear about in the USTA leagues as far as people brining in ringers into a 4.0 or 3.5 league.

I'm not going to say that it's the best format in the world, but it was fun and definitely worth a try. BTW- what is your community's conflict with the USTA section?

gully
12-29-2006, 04:24 PM
[The asterisks in the message should read M*i*d*w*e*s*t.]

Thanks, JR. I would be interested too to hear if anyone is playing in an "official" WTT league. I would think the format would be pretty entertaining, and I like that you could field more teams with fewer players.

The conflict with the section is apparently a longstanding one. We are a part of the ******* section but sitting on its border with the Northern. To play ******* sectional events, we have to travel 6, 8, 10, and 12 hours (my daughter is a ranked junior). If we could play in the Northern, our longest travel would be to Minneapolis, 2-1/2 hours away. But the ******* won't have it -- they want to have numbers and refuse to "let us get away" (us being 150 members or so).

The matter will be brought to the National board next year, but we're in a losing proposition, since ******* with Southern controls about 49% of the USTA, and I understand the two vote in a block on all matters, requiring every other section to vote together to overrule them. So our chances of reassignment are pretty slim. There is also apparently some history, as long ago ******* lost some WI counties to Northern, a move ******* now regrets and wants to correct. (Regardless of what its members desire.)

That's just an overview--but it may be a tangent. I'm really more interested in finding out if WTT might be a workable alternative to (or even an improvement on) USTA league play.

Indy Tennis
12-29-2006, 06:16 PM
We play WTT here in Indianapolis. It's a fun format. One set of doubles, mens and womens, then mens and womens singles and finally mixed doubles.

One major difference is the match is not necessarily over when it's over. The final mixed doubles team can make the up points difference in a close match by continuing to win games.

That and no-add scoring and playing lets (that's the hardest thing to remember) are about the only major differences.

It's social, but it also gets pretty competitive here.

It's also cool because it was all put together by Billie Jean King.

oscar_2424
01-03-2007, 07:08 PM
I am playing the 3.5 league in Broward florida, u can find my team at wttflorida.com, its lots of fun!, but i am still getting used to the no ad system, btw my team is called challenger tennis:)

JesseT
07-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Found out there's a league in Atlanta. Not sure how active.

I too love the format. Much more of a team game which is good for the camaraderie...bad for people's schedules (lot of ALTA and USTA depend on large rosters just to field 5 people a week).

But, the format rocks.

....except for the let serving.

Any reason why WTT and College don't do lets?

randomname
07-18-2007, 10:37 AM
because theres no actual reason FOR lets