PDA

View Full Version : Best budget stringer?

Porsche CGT
12-30-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm going to be getting a stringing machine as a late Christmas present, and need to decide which one to get. Right now I am leaning towards the X-2. Which machine would you recommend in that price range? I wish I could get something with fixed clamps, but I am limited to about $130, which only leaves a couple of machines. Also, if you have experience with any machines in that price range, I'd love to hear your comments.

Thanks

Voltron
12-30-2006, 03:02 PM
I have a Klippermate, and I HATE that peice of crap.

Porsche CGT
12-30-2006, 03:17 PM
I have a Klippermate, and I HATE that peice of crap.

Thanks, I think I'm going to go with the X-2. I'm still open to suggestions, though.

Also, what is the best place to get it from? ATS Sports provides a free USRSA stringing manual as well as 3 sets of strings, and M*dwest Sports has a string/grip bonus package worth over $100 but no mention of the manual.

Voltron
12-30-2006, 03:21 PM
What I meant to say was.... I HATE DROPWEIGHT MACHINES!!!!!!!

They are time consuming, and tedious. I've never ordered from either site so I'm not sure, but I would go for the stringing instructions. Oh, and if you REALLY want to be safe, check BBB for both sites.

bad_call
12-30-2006, 06:05 PM
dropweights aren't for everybody but for me it works. but then again i like mids and not OS racquets.

me is bored
12-30-2006, 06:40 PM
i like mids and not OS rackets??? whats wrong with that lol but i would assue dropweights are horrible lol but if ur gonna get one then get a good quality one, or u can try to go with eagnas and guy a $150 crank with ****** service lol but u get some free string too =] im getting an alpha revo 4k prolly with wise head l8er but between those 2 websites...id say mdwst sports, cuz u can find manuals many places such as stringforum.net and it may come with a manual but u dont know. i just hope u get more strings with mdwst if u go with them....

varuscelli
12-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Oh, and if you REALLY want to be safe, check BBB for both sites.

Never mind. I shouldn't get involved.

Original reply deleted.

VGP
12-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Maybe he's just not mechanically inclined.....

....don't blame the product when user error is at fault.

max
12-30-2006, 10:04 PM
I love the Klippermate. Great clamps. Built like a tank and it sees me through.

eunjam
12-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Maybe he's just not mechanically inclined.....

....don't blame the product when user error is at fault.

classic.

i think it might be the ID Ten T error.

Koz
12-31-2006, 07:37 AM
I'll second the X-2. In that price range you're basically down to the Klippermate or the Gamma, or ATS Super Stringer 2, or the Silent Partner Swing ($200).

The Klippermate is a tried and true machine, but the Gamma will have the ratcheting tensioner. I have the ratcheting tensioner on my Gamma and it makes stringing a snap.

As for where to buy it, try ATS Sports. I got mine there and the service was very very good.

Porsche CGT
12-31-2006, 08:08 AM
I'll second the X-2. In that price range you're basically down to the Klippermate or the Gamma, or ATS Super Stringer 2, or the Silent Partner Swing ($200).

The Klippermate is a tried and true machine, but the Gamma will have the ratcheting tensioner. I have the ratcheting tensioner on my Gamma and it makes stringing a snap.

As for where to buy it, try ATS Sports. I got mine there and the service was very very good.

Thanks, I've decided that's what I am going to do.

40Love
12-31-2006, 09:39 AM
I ordered my Gamma 5003 from *******. It did not say that it included the stringing manual but one came with it.

bb1013
12-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Have you looked at H0labird sports? They have the X2 for 135 and free ship. It also comes with free string and a tutorial.

xtremerunnerars
12-31-2006, 10:20 AM
go with MW or Hol. There's quite a bit of string included from MW (check the photostringer site under x-2 and you'll see what is all included).

*edit* here's a pic:

http://photostringer.com/images/Gamma_X-2_061228-20a.jpg

varuscelli
12-31-2006, 11:04 AM
go with MW or Hol. There's quite a bit of string included from MW (check the photostringer site under x-2 and you'll see what is all included).

Yeah, if you want to see some of xtremerunnerars' Gamma X-2 photos (18 photos in all), go to this page and have a look.

http://www.photostringer.com/gamma_x-2_01.htm

These might help you get a better idea of what the machine looks like up close and personal. ;)

(With special thanks to xtremerunnerars for the photo contributions... :) )

Porsche CGT
12-31-2006, 11:14 AM

*edit* here's a pic:

Did you get the USRSA manual with it? For people who have, is the manual worth it? Also, does anyone know if H0labird comes with that much string, because they are the only place with free shipping? I probably won't use that much string but it will be good to practice with.

BigGriff
12-31-2006, 11:24 AM

*edit* here's a pic:

I bought from MW and they sent a nice free string package. You will get a USRSA instruction manual in the string package which will be helpful for your first string job. If you are a complete newbie at stringing, I suggest the USRSA manual or a manual from Klippermate. You can also get an experienced stringer to assist you on your first job.

bb1013
12-31-2006, 11:25 AM
Based on Gamma's site, It looks like the Hol package come with 3 sets of string.

Porsche CGT
12-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Based on Gamma's site, It looks like the Hol package come with 3 sets of string.

Thanks for finding that.

Now I need to decide between three sets of strings and free shipping and 10 sets of strings with $20 shipping. Obviously the second is a better deal, but I doubt I will ever play with the Gamma string.

BigGriff
12-31-2006, 12:01 PM
I suggest you order at least one reel of string to get started. You will get a few requests to string racquets once people find out you got a stringer. :D

xtremerunnerars
01-01-2007, 06:42 AM
If you get the 10 packs of gamma string, you won't need a reel right away. You could try calling Hol to see if they will include 7 more sets...

Porsche CGT
01-02-2007, 07:52 AM
I ordered the X-2 from Hola yesterday, but my order was canceled because you can only have it shipped to the billing address if you order with a credit card. Since it was a gift, the billing and shipping addresses were not the same. Has anyone else ever heard of a crazy policy like this?

Guess I'll be ordering from M1dwest.

LttlElvis
01-02-2007, 08:27 AM
I ordered the X-2 from Hola yesterday, but my order was canceled because you can only have it shipped to the billing address if you order with a credit card. Since it was a gift, the billing and shipping addresses were not the same. Has anyone else ever heard of a crazy policy like this?

Good policy. Inconvenient to some, but prevents credit card fraud.

varuscelli
01-02-2007, 08:47 AM

If you placed an online order and this happened, you might want to try giving them a call and placing the order over the phone. Sometimes that can provide a workaround to the billing address/shipping address policy. But as LttlElvis said, the policy is there for a good reason, even though it can be a seeming inconvenience at times.

Koz
01-02-2007, 03:53 PM
If you get the 10 packs of gamma string, you won't need a reel right away. You could try calling Hol to see if they will include 7 more sets...

And with 10 sets, you have a few sets to learn on. My first string job took about 3 hours and came out looser than it should have. So I cut it out and did another! Second job probably took an hour and 45 minutes. After you do a couple jobs you'll have it down pretty well; but the first few jobs might come out at a little lower tension than you'd like, or you may miss a weave or something. It's nice to have some strings you don't care about to practice with.

BigGriff
01-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Some of the string that comes in the pack is high quality string. I wouldn't string a racquet with Gamma Zo Plus, TNT2, Live Wire, or Professional and just cut it out. Use the cheaper synthetic guts in the 10 pack and play with the better strings in the pack.

Get a reel of Gosen Sheep Micro and practice with that. It is very easy to handle for first timers and the price is right $30.

donut
01-02-2007, 11:33 PM
i ahve the ATS super stringer 2 from ats sports its cheap and gets the job done so watever fastest ive strung on it is a little under 25 minutes

Gugafan_Redux
01-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the input, all. I basically had the same question as the original poster, so've been following along.

The pics at photostringer are great too.

Can anyone comment on the difference between the Gamma X-2 and the X-6. $300 for the X-6 is not out of my price range. Is the 6-point system that much better? Thanks.