PDA

View Full Version : how do u hit a forehand or backhand crosscourt...

darylrulez
08-20-2004, 12:46 AM
if u want to hit the forehand from the left side of the court crosscourt and backhand from the right side crosscourt?? also,how do u hit a down the line short?? i always hit my forehand crosscourrt to the right side of the opponents court and backhand to the right side.need some help here...

Rickson
08-20-2004, 06:17 AM
We have to assume you're a righty then and you want to learn the inside out forehand and backhand. For the forehand, close your stance(left foot in front of you), aim for the right, and there's your inside out.

TennsDog
08-20-2004, 06:33 AM
One easy way to do it assumes you "break" your wrist in your backswing before contact. As you take the racket back and just start your foreward swing, if you are hitting a topspin shot, you probably lay back your wrist which causes you to lead into the shot with the butt of your racket. To hit straight or cross court, you would normally whip the racket face through the hitting zone from here causing it to meet the ball rather flush. But to hit inside out, you don't want to accelerate the racket face as much or as soon (one or the other). This will cause the racket face to be more open upon impact sending the ball to your right and thus inside out. I am guessing this may not be the best way to learn it, but it is how I do it. If you swing at the same time but with less acceleration, you will get less spin and speed, but can get a better angle. If you swing at the later but with the same speed, you will get more spin (likely inside out spin) and pace and likely depth. It just depends on what you want for the shot. Be careful, though, when learning this as it is quite a bit different than the normal groundstrokes and takes time to learn. At first, you may spray a bunch too wide trying to learn the timing.
BTW, Bill, please let us know if there is better instruction as to how to hit an inside out shot.

Mahboob Khan
08-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Forehand cross court (deuce court): Just line up either with square or open stance, and strike the ball little early;

Backhand cross court (ad court): Just line up either with square stance (1handed BH) or open stance (double handed BH), take the ball early and follow-through.

Forehand down the line: The contact is slightly late than the cross court. You want your strings to be lined up with the target which is down the line that's why the contact is delayed a bit.

Backhand down the line: The contact is slightly late than the cross court. You want your strings to be lined up with the target which is down the line that's why the contact is delayed a bit.

The best thing which helped me on down the line shots is to play all shots -- FH/BH -- in the alley. Once I develop the feel, I create a mental alley on the singles court. The key is everything is lined up .. in the backswing, point of contact, and follow-through. However, I feel that my forehand down the line shot is better than my backhand.