PDA

View Full Version : Tension seems much higher on my stringer?

FH2FH
12-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Stringing noob here,
I just got a string pal and strung up a few racquets. The tension seems a lot higher than the string jobs I'm used to getting from the shops. Is this normal? They use clamp systems. Mine is obviously drop weight.

I used to get string jobs from D-i-c-k-s which were horrible and very loose; not that they are at all of them. The shop I've used for the last year string much tighter, seeming more accurate, but my drop weight jobs seem 10% or higher than that. The racquet has not imploded yet thankfully...;)

FH2FH
12-31-2006, 10:12 AM
...also, I started the mains in the right holes, but the tie offs seem to be at the head instead of the throat. Is this common? It's a m-fil plus. The bottom grommets outline where the strings should be. I skipped the right holes, 9 & 7. ??

Court_Jester
12-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Stringing noob here,
I just got a string pal and strung up a few racquets. The tension seems a lot higher than the string jobs I'm used to getting from the shops. Is this normal?
Did you use a tension calibrator before you laid down the scale sticker on the bar? You can't just put the sticker on and expect to the machine to give you an accurate value for the tension.

Court_Jester
12-31-2006, 10:30 AM
...also, I started the mains in the right holes, but the tie offs seem to be at the head instead of the throat. Is this common?
Some PK racquets are like that.

This is actually a good thing since it allows you to use the regular 1-piece stringing without putting more stress on the upper hoop and without resorting to the ATW pattern.

FH2FH
12-31-2006, 10:36 AM
No, there was already a sticker on it for Kg's, so I converted Kg to Lbs, and put the sticker in the relative place. The only other thing I can think is that when the level drops, it's stretching the string more than a clamp would. ?
...or maybe it is just calibrated way too high?

FH2FH
12-31-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm doing two piece btw. I tied off both mains at the head, started the crosses there and tied off the last cross at the throat. That seemed a little wierd. I didn't take note of how it was strung when I pulled it out. It was one piece though, so it wouldn't have been relavant anyway.

Court_Jester
12-31-2006, 10:44 AM
Just get a tension calibrator or a digital fish scale and check its calibration.

GokuQ
12-31-2006, 02:06 PM
i just bought my first stringer too
mine seems to be stringing way too low
waiting for calib. to come in mail.....
shoulda used TW, ATS shipping sux

diredesire
12-31-2006, 06:30 PM
There are a few things i can thin of that would contribute to this sort of feel off your string bed. You speak of "clamp" machines, all machines have clamps. I think you mean "Crank" machine, or a "lock-out" machine. This makes sense, as the tension differential is (by rule of thumb, thus is a rough estimation) 10% "higher" when you string on a constant pull, such as your drop weight machine. This is probably also coupled with the fact that you are stringing extra slow, assuming you are a beginner, which it seems like. Since you are stringing extra slow, the string stretches and stretches, all the while between clampings. This is different versus a lock out machine, where the actual time of tensioning is much shorter.

As far as your mains question, it is normal on the dunlop mfil 200+ for the mains to end at the head. Like someone mentioned, you can more easily (and conveniently) go with a one piece pattern this way.

Cheers!

FH2FH
01-01-2007, 08:06 AM
THANK YOU!! Oops, yeah I meant crank. I don't have any idea how those tension, but I remember reading they were looser, like you said. I am going fairly slow. If I wasn't digging in the grommets to get the two piece started and let the weight fall just once or twice it would be much faster. Without those it would have taken about 45 mins. [I practiced on some cheap racquets for a few hours before I tried the m-fil, btw.] I would guess it's about 10-15% higher than my usual string jobs, so I'll try to adjust for that and shorten the time the weight if down. I'll probably restring it today to see if I can get closer to what I'm used to and do it faster. Also glad to hear the 200 plus mains end at the head. I didn't see how in the world it could have been otherwise (added 10 minutes, hehe). ;)

diredesire
01-01-2007, 01:37 PM
THANK YOU!! Oops, yeah I meant crank. I don't have any idea how those tension, but I remember reading they were looser, like you said. I am going fairly slow. If I wasn't digging in the grommets to get the two piece started and let the weight fall just once or twice it would be much faster. Without those it would have taken about 45 mins. [I practiced on some cheap racquets for a few hours before I tried the m-fil, btw.] I would guess it's about 10-15% higher than my usual string jobs, so I'll try to adjust for that and shorten the time the weight if down. I'll probably restring it today to see if I can get closer to what I'm used to and do it faster. Also glad to hear the 200 plus mains end at the head. I didn't see how in the world it could have been otherwise (added 10 minutes, hehe). ;)

Instead of trying to find a way to have the weight dropped for a shorter duration, just drop the tension. The number in lbs or kilos is just a reference tension, anyways. You're never REALLY stringing at say, 60 lbs, you're just establishing a reference for the feel off your string bed.

(sort of.)

FH2FH
01-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Ok, that's what I did. I went a few pounds lower and didn't drop the weight 4 times to set the tension. I let it hit the mark and then clamped it instead of letting it bounce a few times. It was much faster too, 50 minutes. I'm going to drop a couple pounds at a time until I find a good reference tension.

Looking forward to tossing out the polys. Feeling rather liberated right now... ;)