PDA

View Full Version : Newks or Saddlebrook?

SDTENNIS
12-31-2006, 05:33 PM
What would you reccomend, Newk's or Saddlebrook? and Why? What are the pros and cons of each? Which one is cheaper? Help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to one of those this summer once i choose which one to go to.

mhstennis100
12-31-2006, 10:09 PM
I went to Newks and liked it. That was before I got a new coach and improved a ton, but I was playing the best tennis of my life (for back then). It could be because of 6+ hours of playing each day or the coaches. Probably some of each. It was a fun experience, but I would recomend having at least 1 friend with you. It was also fun spending 10 bucks a day on soft drinks and gatorade. If you go you might wanna bring a water jug because there are water barrels on the court but no cups for them.

SDTENNIS
01-01-2007, 05:10 PM
mhstennis100, what was the program at newks you were on? What was the pricing any details you would deam neccesary to know?

West Coast Ace
01-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm considering Saddlebrook - but mostly for the weather and the fact that they have all the surfaces.

Geezer Guy
01-02-2007, 08:33 AM
I have a friend that's been to Saddlebrooke several times, and liked it. I have been to Newk's 4 times (for a week each time) and think it's GREAT. I've been to several tennis resorts/camps, and Newk's is the best for tennis.

The tennis instruction is great. The food is good and plentiful. The accomodations are fairly basic, but clean. All are included in the base price. Newk's is by far the best value for your dollar of any place that I've found - especially if you take a friend. (But even if you go alone - which I did each time - it's a great value.)

Look here to see what other people that had been to Newk's thought of it: http://www.tennisresortsonline.com/trofiles/Newcombe.cfm

and here for Saddlebrooke: http://www.tennisresortsonline.com/trofiles/Saddlebrook.cfm

Geezer Guy
01-02-2007, 08:37 AM
I'm considering Saddlebrook - but mostly for the weather and the fact that they have all the surfaces.

Saddlebrooke is a bit further south, so it'll be warmer in the winter (and summer, for that matter). However, San Antonio (Newk's) has a pretty mild winter. I was there the first week of December several years ago, and the weather was in the 70's every afternoon.

Newk's has 20-some hard courts (4 covered) and 4 clay courts.

SDTENNIS
01-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Geezerguy how much did newks cost you per week?

TenS_Ace
01-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Newk's is an OUTSTANDING place...to me it was like landing in the mecca of tennis...

http://www.newktennis.com/tennis_adultprograms.html

What a great place to treat yourself and be surrounded by genuine caring people!!

Geezer Guy
01-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Geezerguy how much did newks cost you per week?

Their rates vary by the season of the year, by the type of accomodations you choose, and whether you're alone or with someone.

I went during the fall/winter, which I think is the most expensive time. I also went by myself, which costs more. I stayed in a condo with a kitchen and washer/dryer, which costs more. And, last but not least, I flew into San Antonio and then rented a car (which cost a LOT more than just driving my own car).

Kansas City to New Braunfels is 800 miles. I figured I could drive it in 11 or 12 hours, but I just didn't have time due to other stuff going on. So, I flew to San Antonio ($300) and rented a car for the week ($150).

I choose the condo over the other lodging options for a variety of reasons. I could have saved a couple of hundred bucks by staying in one of their other choices, but the condo was worth it to me. I could also have saved almost half if I'd taken a buddy. I might next time, but I enjoy just getting away from everybody once in awhile. The cost of the condo, all the food (3 squares a day for 5 days), 5.5 hours of high-quality instruction a day, and free court time after that was around $1,100 (if I remember right). Add on incidentals such as an evening beverage or two, gaterade during the day, and a few purchases from the pro shop, and my total for the week was in the neighborhood of $1,600 or so. WELL worth it.

The tennis, food and lodging are ALL included in the price. The variable is the type of lodging, time of year, and whether you're doing a companion package or a solo.

uhh - and all the above was for a adult. If you're a junior inquiring about their academy program, then very little of the above will be of interest. I have NO idea what the academy costs. I do know that the kids live and eat on-site, they play a ton of tennis every day, and some are tutored, some are home-schooled, and some go to the public school in New Braunfels.

Hope that helps.