PDA

View Full Version : Actually broke ALU

BaseLineBash
01-01-2007, 02:37 AM
So anyways... I didn't think I would break it since I string so often. But, snap! on a serve and my string broke. The funny thing was, only 2 mains seemed to lose tension(the broken one and it's connecting partner). The memory is incredible!

tennis-skater
01-01-2007, 02:24 PM
it most likely broke at the grommet right? you should never break strings on a serve

zAllianceBmx
01-01-2007, 02:45 PM
ive broken strings right in the middle on overheads and serves. you do put spin on serves dont you?

tennis-skater
01-01-2007, 03:57 PM
yeah I mostly hit kick serves that kick up pretty high, I can see it on an overhead if you miss hit it but I've read that if your breaking strings on serves there is something wrong since the ball coming at you at a high rate of speed + putting spin on the ball breaks the string where as on the serve the ball is "sitting" there

qwerty66
01-01-2007, 05:02 PM
i broke hurricane 17's on a serve...
and broke alu on forehand...

federer_nadal
01-02-2007, 03:17 AM
hmm looks like its time for you guys to move up to full kevlar set ups.
j/k

it is very hard to break poly if you are hitting in the middle, most often breakys high in the stringbead due to mishits or around grommets from mishits.

BaseLineBash
01-02-2007, 07:14 AM
j/k

it is very hard to break poly if you are hitting in the middle, most often breakys high in the stringbead due to mishits or around grommets from mishits.

Yeah, exactly. I mean I string quite often, and I don't get my alu strung electronicly either(no burnt poly). It broke within about 4 1/2 inches of the top of the head...

westy
01-02-2007, 07:38 AM
j/k

or some of us can hit through polyesters!!! its durable but it still breaks, i broke alu full job in 13 hours, it was dead in the middle and broke on a forhand. in an 18x20 pattern btw

mhstennis100
01-02-2007, 08:41 AM
I broke 16g Babolat Ballistic in the middle after 2 months. Just snapped a main on a normal forehand. How durable is Ballistic supposed to be and how long does it take for it to go dead. I probably used it for 30+ hours.

BaseLineBash
01-02-2007, 09:20 AM
I broke 16g Babolat Ballistic in the middle after 2 months. Just snapped a main on a normal forehand. How durable is Ballistic supposed to be and how long does it take for it to go dead. I probably used it for 30+ hours.

I don't know about Ballistic... but ALU plays dead from start to finish, it's the range you lose(through tension loss) that eventually renders it useless...

Bottle Rocket
01-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I have broken Luxilon ALU a couple of times, never near the grommets. Everytime the break has either been right in the center or a little above or below the center.

The string doesn't break when it is "fresh". It is after a bunch of hours when the string starts to notch. That is where is breaks and if you play with it long enough, it can easily snap. It seems like this notching problem is better or worse depending on the frame. Prince rackets have stood out to me for being rough on strings.

From what I have seen, Luxilon notches more than most of the other poly's, but it is usually compared to strings it should not be compared with. Luxilon Original is what these other strings should be compared with and it is extremely durable.

josephhkim
01-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Indeed, it is very possible to snap polys, i snap them quite often.

The strings begin to notch and they break at those notch point, near the center.

federer_nadal
01-02-2007, 07:04 PM
of course its going to snap after 13 hours, i only normally get about 10 out of a poly set up but usually cut it out when it looses feel, currently i have been using hybrids and stuff to try and find something nice.

DiabloTS
01-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah you can definately brake a string on a serve.