PDA

View Full Version : French Open tickets....

Thomas_Pro
01-01-2007, 06:05 AM
Hello!

My wife and I are heading over to France in May to catch the French Open as well as do some site seeing and other great stuff. We ordered tickets online through the FFT but were looking for others advice on how to make sure we can get tickets in case we ordered too late and the FFT is sold out!

Any advice and/or experiences you have had at the French Open that you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Merci!

Sagittar
01-01-2007, 06:29 AM
good luck !
can i come ? :D
my best thought is to find someone from france to but it for you ..

West Coast Ace
01-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Hello!

My wife and I are heading over to France in May to catch the French Open as well as do some site seeing and other great stuff. We ordered tickets online through the FFT but were looking for others advice on how to make sure we can get tickets in case we ordered too late and the FFT is sold out!

Any advice and/or experiences you have had at the French Open that you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Merci!I've bought 'ticket only' from Grand Slam Tennis Tours on a number of occasions, including the 1st two days of the French. Very professional and friendly.

Thomas_Pro
01-01-2007, 10:44 AM
I've bought 'ticket only' from Grand Slam Tennis Tours on a number of occasions, including the 1st two days of the French. Very professional and friendly.

Thanks for the response! I'll look into their prices and see what they offer. We checked out some other ticket resellers, but they seem to charge an arm and a leg for seating! We watch the French Open every year and notice a ton of empty seating during the first week of matches.

Hopefully, if all else fails, we will be able to pick some up when we arrive. Anyone ever buy any off the street or at the grounds itself?

West Coast Ace
01-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the response! I'll look into their prices and see what they offer. We checked out some other ticket resellers, but they seem to charge an arm and a leg for seating! We watch the French Open every year and notice a ton of empty seating during the first week of matches.

Hopefully, if all else fails, we will be able to pick some up when we arrive. Anyone ever buy any off the street or at the grounds itself?I guess it depends what you consider expensive. They are in demand. And not easy to get. The empty seats are probably because corporate sponsors get a lot of tickets for free (well, not really free since they have to financially support the tournament) and people don't show or only show for the top matches. Sad.

I'd be careful with scalpers unless you speak French very well - enough to make them think you're a local. Otherwise you could end up buying a bogus ticket.

Thomas_Pro
01-02-2007, 06:12 AM
I guess it depends what you consider expensive. They are in demand. And not easy to get. The empty seats are probably because corporate sponsors get a lot of tickets for free (well, not really free since they have to financially support the tournament) and people don't show or only show for the top matches. Sad.

I'd be careful with scalpers unless you speak French very well - enough to make them think you're a local. Otherwise you could end up buying a bogus ticket.

Yes, I was afraid of that! Corporate sponsors buy tickets and the people never show up or ticket agencies can buy up all the tickets and resell them for whatever they wish. Real fans like us get stuck......

Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait and see if the FFT request we submitted nets us our tickets or if we need to buy them individually from a broker! Scalpers is not the way I want to go.

West Coast Ace
01-05-2007, 05:20 PM
You should still call the place I mentioned - and all the ones in the back of Tennis magazine. It would be a shame to go to Paris in late May and not go for one day.

At least go and get a day pass - I doubt they sell out ahead of time - go early in the AM - like the other Slams there are plenty of good matches on outer courts the first 2 rounds.

chloeToh
01-06-2007, 01:32 PM
sorry, wrong thread,

I was not able to find the "ticket only" options. Further instruction would be appreciated!

christos_liaskos
01-16-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm just having the same problem as you Thomas Pro. Thinking about booking/requesting tickets through the FO site but I cant tell what the site means. Are you guaranteed to get the tickets you 'request' for or not? Very frustrating

Thomas_Pro
01-23-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm just having the same problem as you Thomas Pro. Thinking about booking/requesting tickets through the FO site but I cant tell what the site means. Are you guaranteed to get the tickets you 'request' for or not? Very frustrating

Hi Chistos,

They use the lottery system on a first come, first serve basis I believe. I think the best bet is to apply early (Nov.) and wait and see. March 31st is when you can go online to find out if you got tickets.

I will tell you this, I called over to the FFT and discovered that they were not sold out as of December. So, for whatever thats worth, tickets look like they were (and may still be!) available!

I had to cancel my trip due to a work project so I am not going this year. I may go next year or I may just head straight to Australia for a few weeks!

I hope this helps and I pray others come forward who have been to the French Open and share their experiences and how to best get tickets!

Thanks,

Tom

austro
01-31-2007, 04:10 AM
I was at the FO last year. Got the tickets no problem. I bought the most expensive one (Eur60 for men's final!) on their site but ended up getting a seat all the way on top. But it was ok, the view was very good.

You can buy it off the street too. These guys have some sort of licensing system. Just bargain hard and be careful. But they are not all bogus and there are plenty of peddlers.

I am putting in my bid for tickets only now and am confident of getting some. The FO is very spectator friendly that way (unlike Wimbledon!)

kissmyace
01-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Touting tickets in France is legal. If all else fails just turn up, every 10 feet are guys selling every ticket you could want. The system goes that the French tennis people set aside tickets for touts at a marked up price, then the touts sell them on at a marked up price, so everyone makes a profit except us. Saying that though they are not too expensive, last year ground passes were 20 euros and touts were selling them for 60 having bought them for 40 from the federation. Believe me when i say that there is no shortage of tickets at the venue.

austro
02-01-2007, 05:29 AM
I can confirm that. Do not worry! And let us know whether you were allocated any

Thomas_Pro
02-01-2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I'll keep this in mind when I finally get a chance to make it over there!