PDA

View Full Version : Full poly in 18 by 20

Dunlopkid
01-01-2007, 07:52 AM
I recall someone advising me not to string a dense string-pattern racket with full poly. I've only played with dense string-pattern rackets, and was wondering how this felt. Is there any reason to do it if you're not a monster string breaker? Any advice?

federermcenroeagassi
01-01-2007, 08:09 AM
I recall someone advising me not to string a dense string-pattern racket with full poly. I've only played with dense string-pattern rackets, and was wondering how this felt. Is there any reason to do it if you're not a monster string breaker? Any advice?

i dont break strings at all (i am sensetive to tension though), and i use a full cyberflash job in my redondo mp. its is the best stringjob i have ever played with to be honest. i havent tried too many, but i have tried a full gosen sheep job, SPPP mains/gosen crosses, prince polylon (? the clear one) mains/gosen crosses, and hurricane mains/xcel crosses. if i had the time and $ to spend, i would try a full SPPP job or a full Multi job (probably X-1), but ive found something i love, so i dont think i should change it.

it feels awesome, i get great spin, and great feel from the redondo, so... i tink eww shud troy it

(btw, never choose strings based on if you're a breaker or not, choose them based on how they feel to you)

Dunlopkid
01-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. Does it come in different gauges? What gauge do you use?

looseswing
01-01-2007, 08:39 AM

Cyberflash comes in 16 and 17. I would assume that he is using the 17.

federermcenroeagassi
01-01-2007, 08:45 AM

Cyberflash comes in 16 and 17. I would assume that he is using the 17.

yup, it comes in 16 and 17. i use the 16g though :)

Richie Rich
01-01-2007, 09:08 AM

i usually use poly in my tf325. i string it at 57 so it's not stiff. i like the spin i get and the lower power so i can hit out more. i cut them out after 20 hours because they lose their resiliency by then.

my faves so far are cyberflash 17, ubique big hitter 17 and SPPP 16L

BigServer1
01-01-2007, 10:38 AM
When I was using the Flexpoint Prestige MP I had full Alu Rough @ 60, full Red Code @ 63 and full PHT @ 63. I, like others, liked the spin and control, but I would also restring (or they would break) every few weeks to keep the tension up.

looseswing
01-01-2007, 11:52 AM
yup, it comes in 16 and 17. i use the 16g though :)

damn, i was wrong:mad: :p

BigGriff
01-02-2007, 03:01 AM
I tried a full Cyberflash 17 string job in one of my iRadical OS racquets (18/19 pattern). I had another iRad hybrid with CF 17 and Klip Kicker 17. Both were strung @ 55/57.

I loved the spin on the full job but I didn't have as much feel or pace as I wanted. I was dissapointed with the lack of depth I had on my shots compared to the hybrid setup. My playing partners did not notice a difference in my topspin or slice, so I stuck with the hybrid.

Dunlop if you are looking for wicked spin go for it! CF is an amazing string and a full setup my suit your playing style.

Note: If you are stringing yourself, it will take a little longer to weave the crosses.

federer_nadal
01-02-2007, 03:11 AM
i have just finished playing for a week with a Nblade demo that was strung with some type of 16g poly at about 59/60 and i had no trouble. Depends on the person really

Pusher
01-02-2007, 03:36 AM

Not really.

Using a low powered string on a low powered racquet can cause problems with shot depth and pace. But you probably will want to see what all the fuss is about so go ahead and give it a shot.

Eli_Ace
01-02-2007, 08:43 AM
I recall someone advising me not to string a dense string-pattern racket with full poly. I've only played with dense string-pattern rackets, and was wondering how this felt. Is there any reason to do it if you're not a monster string breaker? Any advice?i break strings all the time so right now i am using pro hurricane tour on the mains and ALU rough on the crosses all this on a flexpoint prestige XL

Dunlopkid
01-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Why two polys in a hybrid, Eli?

louis netman
01-02-2007, 11:21 AM

Even if you are a monster string-breaker, there is no need to ever go full poly in any frame because, 1) it will typically be the mains that break, 2) most of your feel (or lack thereof) comes from the mains, and 3) even by the time the crosses get to breaking-point, the string job will have become useless (due to significant tension loss). Moreover, why subject your body to all that punishment for nothing?

Dunlopkid
01-02-2007, 11:27 AM
So, the one good aspect might be that it would yield greater spin than anything else?

f2fanatic
01-02-2007, 11:55 AM
I have tried full SPPP 1.18 and Kirshbaum P2 in some 18X20 at 52-56 and I liked the P2 the most. More spin and better pocketing. But I am now trying Ashaway kevlar 18 M and Sppp 1.18 X at 48-52 and I think it will be the right hybrid for me for a while. I will probably experiment with tensions but this setup is very nice. Very good topspin for an 18X20 and good feeling,easy on the arm.

BigGriff
01-02-2007, 04:39 PM
So, the one good aspect might be that it would yield greater spin than anything else?

The amount of spin you will gain will be insignificant compared to a hybrid with the poly in the mains. Like Louis said, why subject you body to the additional punishment.

Trust me, playing a match with a full poly job is taxing on the body. It is also hard to maintain the initial pace you have on your shots during the course of your match or practice session.

Dunlopkid
01-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Good points about pace throughout the match.

La Bomba
01-02-2007, 06:08 PM
I have luxilon big banger original strung @ 54 in my Head I.Prestige Mid and it feels really nice.

Lambsscroll
01-04-2007, 06:19 AM

The reason to do it is for the long dwell time poly has. Stringing a racket with poly isn't easy ( it doesn't bend easily ) so maybe that's why you were told not to string your dense pattern racket with poly.

root
01-06-2007, 11:55 AM
The amount of spin you will gain will be insignificant compared to a hybrid with the poly in the mains. Like Louis said, why subject you body to the additional punishment.

Trust me, playing a match with a full poly job is taxing on the body. It is also hard to maintain the initial pace you have on your shots during the course of your match or practice session.

WDYM?

I have played full poly for years on 18x19, since october full SPPP in 18x20 LM Prestige and never ever have felt problems with feel or power changing during one match or session...

jonolau
01-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Don't get too caught up with types of string on open/dense patterns. Just remember these basics:

1. Spin generation comes mainly from technique. Therefore, if you are able to generate spin on a 16X19, you will also be able to do the same on an 18x20 pattern.

2. Strings are all about "feel". Play with the type of string that feels best to you. What Peter likes, Paul may detest.

I was a long-term full kevlar user and people thought I was mad especially when I stuck it into my 18x20 Volkl Tour 10 V-Engine Mid. However, I just loved the crisp, stiff feel and never had any arm problems or lack of power at all. Even when I tried playing with full syn gut on that racquet, the amount of spin was the same. Only thing was the feel was like playing with a rubber band in comparison.

WhiteSox05CA
01-07-2007, 10:08 AM
It probably give little comfort, less than with an open pattern.

downey stringing master
01-07-2007, 02:20 PM
pro hurricane18 at 62 pounds amazing on my 18 x 20 200's