PDA

View Full Version : Basic Question for String Experts

gipper
01-01-2007, 07:22 AM
Does a string that allows you to "pocket" the ball give you more control--or more power--or what?

Dunlopkid
01-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Control I think.

xtremerunnerars
01-01-2007, 07:30 AM
should be power, imo. That's one of the reasons that pros string so low (40s): they have the control, and any more dwell time (power) they can get because of loose string will help.

Kevo
01-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Pocketing would usually provide more control. It keeps the ball on the strings a little longer, and gives you a better sense of where you are contacting the ball on your strings. However, I could see a scenario where pocketing could get squirrelly if you have to string very low to get it. The thing with gut is that you can get a nice pocketing sensation with tight strings. I've also found that to be the case with zyex strings and some of the better multis.

aroddick
01-01-2007, 02:26 PM
power, and many also believe control. SO mixed. I say power.

Dashbarr
01-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Both power and control, i think.

me is bored
01-01-2007, 03:32 PM
should be power, imo. That's one of the reasons that pros string so low (40s): they have the control, and any more dwell time (power) they can get because of loose string will help.

actually its the other way around they have enough power but they need the control. Maybe a lil more power from strings like alu power, but theyre grown men...they have enough power.

xtremerunnerars
01-01-2007, 03:42 PM
If they need more control, why wouldn't they string way tight? Some pros have in the past (borg+sampras come to mind) while some string amazingly low (nadal, sorta fed)