PDA

View Full Version : Which string for me?

Lloyd Barcenilla
01-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Hello

I am 14 and play good tennis. I have a pure drive roddick. I play most of my tennis at the baseline but will come in to the net.

I play with a grip in between semi western and full western and hit with quite alot of top.
I have tried Babolat Pro Hurricane tour which is good, but im sure there is better
(i do not want natural gut because i do go through strings quickly which is not bad, but the price of gut at the rate i break strings would be too much for me)

Which string do you reccomend for me?

me is bored
01-01-2007, 11:03 AM
u might just want to stick with hurricane tour or signum pro poly plasma or even a luxilon such as timo (what i use) or big banger alu/bigbanger alu rough

xtremerunnerars
01-01-2007, 11:20 AM
define good tennis please

Lloyd Barcenilla
01-01-2007, 11:36 AM
define good tennis please

Well, not really really relaly top class tennis, but um, hard to describe. Mens second team last year, playing in the mens 1st this year

aroddick
01-01-2007, 02:27 PM
ALU, is probably the best one

Lloyd Barcenilla
01-01-2007, 02:29 PM
ALU, is probably the best one

ALu power or Alu rough?

Borat
01-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Try a multi, see what you think, Ashaway Dynamite or something.

Borat
01-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Topspin Cyberflash 17....

aroddick
01-01-2007, 02:41 PM
dude, I saw you go with a multi, and put string savers on them. See what you think. If you do it, go with X-one Biphase. I love multis.

X-one Biphase 16 with string savers
ALU or ALU rough -- tough on the arm, i would do it. u are young.
VERY (expensive) multi with string savers.
last option is nxt max

My game is very similar to you. but have a arm problem. I go with the first option. or 3 and 4.

Borat
01-01-2007, 02:43 PM
dude, I saw you go with a multi, and put string savers on them. See what you think. If you do it, go with X-one Biphase. I love multis.

X-one Biphase 16 with string savers
ALU or ALU rough -- tough on the arm, i would do it. u are young.
VERY (expensive) multi with string savers.
last option is nxt max

My game is very similar to you. but have a arm problem. I go with the first option. or 3 and 4.
Definately agree, try some other kinds of strings and get your own priorities on feel and touch. The best way to decide on strings is just make a big list, think about what you want in a string, and then just cross off the ones that dont fit what you want until you get down to about 10 strings you wanna try, and then just try em and stick with your favorite.

Midlife crisis
01-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Hello

I am 14 and play good tennis. I have a pure drive roddick. I play most of my tennis at the baseline but will come in to the net.

I play with a grip in between semi western and full western and hit with quite alot of top.
I have tried Babolat Pro Hurricane tour which is good, but im sure there is better
(i do not want natural gut because i do go through strings quickly which is not bad, but the price of gut at the rate i break strings would be too much for me)

My 13 year old son has just started using a PDR+. He is primarily a baseline basher who is working on his all court game (it's too easy to get lobbed when you're younger than 12 or 13). He sounds a lot like you in that he hits a SW forehand/2hbh with a fair amount of top. He started going through his previous string, Dunlop Max Comfort, every few weeks and so I put him on Polyon SP. He loves that string and so when he started using the PDR+, I initially put it in at 52 lbs, but he thought that was too tight. I strung it up today at 48 lbs and he says that's just about perfect.

The Polyon SP is a very soft polyester. The USRSA found it to be the sixth softest poly they've tested (they tested about 100 or so poly strings). It's durable like a poly, but elastic like a synthetic gut. Power levels are good - it is definitely not a low powered poly. It cuts down the impact harshness of the PDR and makes it feel more cushioned. At your age, that's probably a good thing as you're still growing. It's inexpensive too, and does a pretty good job of retaining tension.

Nuke
01-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Try Cyber Flash 17, Lloyd. Great for baseline/topspin game like yours. If you string your own, it's very cheap when bought in reels. If you don't string your own, well, it depends on what your stringer offers.

Lloyd Barcenilla
01-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Try Cyber Flash 17, Lloyd. Great for baseline/topspin game like yours. If you string your own, it's very cheap when bought in reels. If you don't string your own, well, it depends on what your stringer offers.

I do string my own rackets usually around 52-54

Pusher
01-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Hello

Try a basic solid core synthetic (most any brand). They are cheap and they perform well at all phases of the game. I know polys are the rage but you can't go wrong with a good synthetic gut. Try polys again when you're 16.