PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe it!!!!!

The Gorilla
01-01-2007, 04:10 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-2517541,00.html

andrea jaeger admitted to throwing the wimbledon final to navratilova,she decided to give the title to her because she was locked out of her house and navatilova let her stay at her house the night before,she was so grateful she decided to give navratilova the final!

alcap26
01-01-2007, 04:28 PM
If that is true then that should be something you take to the grave. You dishonor yourself and your opponent who had no control or input in the situation by saying this. This seems like somebody wanted their name in the press.

The Gorilla
01-01-2007, 04:38 PM
If that is true then that should be something you take to the grave. You dishonor yourself and your opponent who had no control or input in the situation by saying this. This seems like somebody wanted their name in the press.

yeah,but she wanted her name in the press to raise awareness about her charity for terminally ill,disfigured and abused children so it's a bit tricky to condemn her although,like you,I feel that she should have kept that to herself.Does martina still have the wimbledon record now,she only beat the old one by one title if I recall.

goober
01-01-2007, 04:41 PM
This was posted on the previous thread about Andrea Jaeger several weeks ago.

Personally it takes a lot of guts to say what she did since it reflects negatively on her. But since she is now a nun, I presume she is telling the truth and making peace with her past. It was pretty evident that she didn't want to be a professional tennis player after she pretty much disappeared from tennis in her early 20s and had nothing to do with it really since. OTOH Tracy Austin, Chris Evert and B. King all are involved with tennis still many years after their retirement.

bribeiro
01-02-2007, 10:03 AM
What was the score of that match?

CollegeBound
01-02-2007, 11:05 AM
While I applaud what Jager has done for so many sick children, I do wonder if her desire to "be truthful" will extend to her personal life as well as her sporting past.

VGP
01-02-2007, 10:11 PM
What was the score of that match?

6-0, 6-3

She was a kid that didn't want to be there (not just Wimbledon, the Tour in general).

Deuce
01-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Nice story.

About 10 years ago, I read an article about Jaeger's work with kids who had cancer. I called her 'ranch' to find out more. She answered the phone herself and told me about the place.

I can do without the religious stuff - but it's nice to see someone seeing life from a less selfish perspective.

Good for her.

Here's her original website:
http://www.silverliningfoundation.org/welcome.htm (http://www.silverliningfoundation.org/welcome.htm)

Stuart S
09-10-2011, 03:22 AM
'I can't believe it!' says Gorilla. Well, neither do I. The suggestion that Jaegar fought through six rounds only to tank the final is utter rubbish.

It's a slap in the face for Navratilova, if nothing else.

Joe Pike
09-10-2011, 04:09 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-2517541,00.html

andrea jaeger admitted to throwing the wimbledon final to navratilova,she decided to give the title to her because she was locked out of her house and navatilova let her stay at her house the night before,she was so grateful she decided to give navratilova the final!

And you believe that?

Son, I have a very nice piece of real estate for you on the moon. Interested?

BTURNER
09-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Has Martina commented? At least she can verify the prematch facts.

chandler bing
09-12-2011, 03:30 AM
I've heard that there is a lot more to this story. Namely that when Jaeger went to Navratilova's house, she made advances toward Martina, and that Martina turned her down.

GS
09-12-2011, 08:41 AM
15 years ago, I was flying on a plane bound for Aspen and noticed Jaeger sitting a few rows in front of me. (She put her Wilson 6-pack bag in the overhead compartment.) I wanted to chat with her, but didn't get the chance.

jaggy
09-12-2011, 12:45 PM
If she had tried she may have gotten an extra game somewhere.