PDA

View Full Version : Gamma X2 or SP Swing?

bcole
01-01-2007, 06:11 PM
I'll use it only for myself, & have strung with drop weights in the past. If I were to avoid Eagnas, is the SP worth the extra ~ $60.00 more than the Gamma?

xtremerunnerars
01-01-2007, 06:47 PM
I have an x-2 and it is really not tough to string with. If you have good (hopefully great) hand strength, it should be a cinch.

The toughest thing for me is opening and closing the clamps...as i usually have to do it with one hand (left hand) and i'm strongly right handed.

damasta55
01-01-2007, 08:03 PM
The sp swing has a 6-point mounting system. But the x-2 should do the job, if you're on a budget, just get the x-2, a good machine for the buck.

BigGriff
01-02-2007, 03:11 AM
Get the X-2 since you are new to stringing and just stringing for yourself. As you get more involved in stringing, you will definitely want to upgrade to a better machine.

The excess $60 could go towards a reel of string. It will come in handy because people are gonna ask you to string for them. :grin:

The SP swing is a solid drop weight but their 6 pt mounting system IMO is not a true 6 pt mounting system.

ccelis
01-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Get the X-2 since you are new to stringing and just stringing for yourself. As you get more involved in stringing, you will definitely want to upgrade to a better machine.

The excess $60 could go towards a reel of string. It will come in handy because people are gonna ask you to string for them. :grin:

The SP swing is a solid drop weight but their 6 pt mounting system IMO is not a true 6 pt mounting system.

I have had a string similar to the X-2 in the past and I now have a SP Swing and in my opinion the Swing does a much better job of mounting. The mounting posts never budge and I usually string at 70lbs - 73lbs. No deformation or slipping and It has much better clamps that the X-2. If you have any further questions about the Swing feel free to contact me at carloscelis79@hotmail.com.

Bottle Rocket
01-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Go with the X-2!

I can string a racket in about 40 minutes if I am taking my time... I just did what was probably my 7th stringing. The only thing that seems to really determine your string time is weaving the crosses. There are a lot of good techniques for helping this process.

The mounting is as easy as it can probably get and it is extremely secure. If there is a clamp issue, there is a clamp issue with all stringers because they are all similar. It is easy to use them. If its too hard, you're probably clamping too tight.

I am extremely happy with the qaulity of the X-2... You get a few strings to try out, a bunch of tools, and a quality machine. It comes with a stringers guide book and stringer instructions, things are exaplained very well.

rich s
01-02-2007, 12:59 PM
The lack of clearance between the frame and the turntable on the SP Swing due to the short mountng posts would drive me crazy when trying to weave crosses.

My vote would be for the Gamma.

mucat
01-02-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't have Gamma X2 but I have SP Swing and it works very well so far.

BigGriff
01-02-2007, 07:58 PM
If you mount the racquet correctly you will not have any problems with slippage while tensioning. I have strung approximately 50 racquets on an X-2and never encountered problems with any racquets moving while tensioning. I have strung mid, os, and widebody frames without any problems.

However, if you can afford to spend the extra cash, get the best machine with the most features you can afford.

I have used both and they get the job done. It is a matter of choice.

headfan91
01-19-2007, 10:25 AM
where did you guys order from?

diehard6.0
01-19-2007, 11:29 AM
I bought a Gamma X-2 from h----bird, and have a racquet strung last night. It works well and was pretty easy to use. There will no slippage problem if the racquet is properly mounted. A great thing is the machine came with more than 10 sets of free strings.

Redflea
01-19-2007, 03:50 PM
Any reason you aren't looking at the Alpha String Pal? Worth a look...

http://www.newtechtennis.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_12&products_id=33

gugafan05
01-19-2007, 03:57 PM
neither, dont waste your money. save up and get a better machine. I made the mistake like many others of buying a crappy drop weight like the SP swing and now I am trying to find a better machine. Get a spring action machine, not drop weight.

headfan91
01-19-2007, 05:30 PM
But I don't need an expensive stringer, I will only be stringing for myself, and maybe one or two more people. I want a low cost stringer. If i can get one for 250 I would do it, but thats the highest I would go.

BigGriff
01-21-2007, 12:39 AM
Since your goal is to string for yourself and a few friends, get a simple drop weight. They are very easy to learn on. With a little practice you will get very consistent results.

I am very happy with my Gamma X-6. If I did a ton of string jobs, I would invest in a better machine. I currently string an average of one or two racquets a week. I string for myself, friends, and few of the guys at my club who hate paying the high prices.

Jonny S&V
01-21-2007, 07:54 AM
I've strung about 30-40 racquets with my X-2 and I haven't warped a single racquet. Never had a stringer before this one and it was a cinch to learn on for me (and thats saying something). The only thing that I would have to call the machine on is that yes the clamps are a little bulky, but they hold very well once you get them on. Once you get better and you use a string that frays pretty easily, like Technifibre Synthetic Gut, or a natural gut string, you should put something that won't hurt the string, like leather, in for the tension head as the sand paper type stuff that it comes with can make the strings a little rough. All in all, it will more than pay for itself. With the extra $60.00 that you'll have, get some Forten Nylon to learn with then graduate to Gosen OG Sheep Micro and/or Technifibre Synthetic Gut.

lethalfang
01-23-2007, 02:22 PM
The $200 SP Swing comes with a 660" reel of string. You can also pay more for a string upgrade.

Doc Hollidae
02-01-2007, 10:03 AM
After reading some of the posts on this forum, I ordered a X-2 last night from Hol*bird. Sounded like a great beginner's machine and it was only $139 with no tax or shipping charges, plus some string package and instruction manual. Never strung a racket before, but I can't wait. I'll probably be picking your guys brains for tips and what not.