PDA

View Full Version : i rush net, the guy lobs, HELP!!!!

finchy
08-20-2004, 01:39 PM
in my tennis class (for school) i rush the net when i feel confident. but the other guys in my class will almost always lob me except for about 3 people. how can i combat the lob that goes behind me when im hugging the net? im all the way up, but they get the ball on the service line or something near there. should i just haul butt back to the baseline? i know thats probly what i should do, but i really suck at overheads.

im probly gonna need to practice more because i dont want to take any more lessons.

TennsDog
08-20-2004, 01:49 PM
One thing is that you shouldn't be that close to the net if they are in good enough position to hit a controlled lob. If you are, and they do, then your only option is to run back and try to hit a groundstroke. Other than that just choose well your attacks and don't get too close to the net when you know they are capable of good lobs.

TwistServe
08-20-2004, 02:02 PM
You shouldn't be hugging the net.. You should be comfortbly close to the net yet far enough so that you can run back for lobs.. I

f the guy's been lobbing you a few times in a row, than you'll have to stand back by the service line.. If you're at the service line, you splt step and move in forward for passing shots, but you still have plenty of time to take out a lob.. It's very hard to lob someone that's just above the service line. Most people that stand at the service line try to volley from there, which is where u get killed.. YOu gotta move in and forward when you see a passing attempt.

Rickson
08-20-2004, 02:34 PM
How close are you to the net? I can take a full serve swing and not even graze the net. I've never seen a good volleyer who gets close enough to the net to touch it with his bare hands.

ma2t
08-20-2004, 02:43 PM
After you hit your approach shot you should move in gradually and don't close the net until you see that your opponent has hit a short lob. If you're just behind the service line when your opponent lobs then you should be in position to either hit the overhead or run back and lob or hit a groundstroke. Of course, you also need to develop a decent overhead.

Rickson
08-20-2004, 02:55 PM
After you hit your approach shot you should move in gradually and don't close the net until you see that your opponent has hit a short lob. If you're just behind the service line when your opponent lobs then you should be in position to either hit the overhead or run back and lob or hit a groundstroke. Of course, you also need to develop a decent overhead.
Behind the service line? That's too close to no man's land for me and if I were the passer, I'd aim right for the volleyer.

TwistServe
08-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Behind the service line? That's too close to no man's land for me and if I were the passer, I'd aim right for the volleyer.

Right at the service line or inside by a foot is actually the best place to be if the guy is a constant lobber.. At that position if you split step and move in on a passing shot, you'll still volley fine.. The advatange is that it's very difficult to get lobbed.. Obviously you dont want to stand and take the volley at the service line.. Move in when you see it coming.

mucat
08-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Maybe you stand too close to the net and/or the approach shot was too easy for your opponent to hit back. And some opponent, you can tell he or she is going to lob just by the racket take back.

finchy
08-20-2004, 08:02 PM
ok. thx for the tips u guys. right now, we are playing doubles, up and down. we won our first match, but we are losing our second match 2-5 in tiebreaker. we play past the regular (7) and keep going until the first court finishes, then we rotate.

anyways, ill try to implement what u guys said. but when i do hit an approach shot, normally a slice backhand or topspin forhand, the ball just magically travels to the opponents forehand, allowing for a very easy topspin lob. those are the lobs that kill me. the ones that get too high to reach, but drop very fast. and i normally cant use my service motion because the ball drops too fast. but, i guess ill just try to fix that up with lessons....that i dont want....

o well, the only way to fix something is to....uh....fix it i guess. thx alot.

jun
08-20-2004, 10:27 PM
well,
you can't really pinpoint where you should be standing.

A foot inside service line is quite far back. Good players can get hit balls at your shoe string.

After you hit an approach shot, and closing in, (and you should be closing in fast), you should keep your eyes on the opponent.
Right before he makes the contact, you should split step, so you can move in any direction.

It's important that you pay attention to the position that your opponent is in.

If your opponent looks balanced and set, then s/he is going to hit a passing shot.

If your opponent looks balanced, but his or her weight is on the back foot, s/he's going to hit a top spin lob. It could be a dipper,tough

If your oppoent is stretched out and is on the run, it's probably a defensive lob.

where you split step would change depending on the situation described above

ma2t
08-21-2004, 07:32 AM
well,
you can't really pinpoint where you should be standing.

A foot inside service line is quite far back. Good players can get hit balls at your shoe string.

After you hit an approach shot, and closing in, (and you should be closing in fast), you should keep your eyes on the opponent.
Right before he makes the contact, you should split step, so you can move in any direction.

It's important that you pay attention to the position that your opponent is in.

If your opponent looks balanced and set, then s/he is going to hit a passing shot.

If your opponent looks balanced, but his or her weight is on the back foot, s/he's going to hit a top spin lob. It could be a dipper,tough

If your oppoent is stretched out and is on the run, it's probably a defensive lob.

where you split step would change depending on the situation described above

I completely agree with your post. In my earlier post, I was suggesting a little behind the service line as a way of protecting against being lobbed constantly. It actually tempts them to try to hit at your feet -- but if you step in you can still hit a decent volley.

ma2t
08-21-2004, 07:35 AM
ok. thx for the tips u guys. right now, we are playing doubles, up and down. we won our first match, but we are losing our second match 2-5 in tiebreaker. we play past the regular (7) and keep going until the first court finishes, then we rotate.

anyways, ill try to implement what u guys said. but when i do hit an approach shot, normally a slice backhand or topspin forhand, the ball just magically travels to the opponents forehand, allowing for a very easy topspin lob. those are the lobs that kill me. the ones that get too high to reach, but drop very fast. and i normally cant use my service motion because the ball drops too fast. but, i guess ill just try to fix that up with lessons....that i dont want....

o well, the only way to fix something is to....uh....fix it i guess. thx alot.

In doubles, dealing with lobs requires a coordinated effort between you and your partner. However, the same basic strategies still apply. You and your partner must be able to hit decent overheads or your opponents will exploit that weakness and frustrate you all day.

Aoya
08-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Most likely you're giving your opponent too much time to think. Meaning a) your approach wasn't good enough b) your shot might not have been deep enough..

just my two cents

JohnThomas1
08-21-2004, 11:25 PM
The key point for me finchy is "all the way up, but they get the ball on the service line or something near there. " If you have come to the net they should not be hitting their shot from the service line. You need to keep them way deeper, blind freddy can lob over someone from the positions you state. Get those approach shots and volleys deeper and they will have a much tougher time passing and lobbing you. You will have a lot more time to react to lobs when you force them back. Also as others state you shouldn't be that close to the net.