PDA

View Full Version : Natural Guts - Babolat, KLIP, BDE

Lindros13
01-02-2007, 07:26 AM
I'm looking to get a few more sets of 16G natural gut (for full stringjobs, no hybrids). I currently have Babolat VS 16 and Babolat Tonic+ 16 on two of my racquets. (Aside from Babolat VS 17 which snapped after 5 days, these are the only natural guts I've tried thus far.)

Few questions:
1) I see KLIP Legend has both coated and uncoated string @ same price on TW. Any comments on their differences? (For convenience, I use my club's stringer and I have no idea if he's a good or bad stringer. Though I've been happy w/ my stringjobs in the past. I read something that says a string's coating makes it easier to string.)
2) I've seen some good comments on BDE Performance, so I'll probably give it a try. Is it "coated" similar to KLIP comment above? Any other comments?
3) I've also seen some good comments on KLIP Armour Pro, so I'll probably give it a try as well. Any comments?
4) Lastly, do I really need to inconvenience myself by having my expensive nat. guts strung by a well known stringer? The most popular guy in my area is about a 30-minuite drive and I would need to make "reservations" about 30 days in advance, as crazy as that sounds. i.e. I would make a stringing appointment now, in anticipation of my string breaking in 30 days. And then either cut it if it's not broken, or see if he'd push my "appointment" back a day or two. To me, it seems a bit inconvenient since I can simply drop my racquet off at my club and have it back from the club stringer within 3 days *(usually 2 days) without any advanced notice.
5) Any other guts worth testing?

Eli_Ace
01-02-2007, 07:40 AM
try pacific...

jayserinos99
01-02-2007, 07:50 AM
^ if you can find it. =)

1) I have uncoated Klip 16 in a 6.1 and Classic Mid hybrided with RIP Control 17 at 58 lbs and it plays really nicely; not as springy as Babolat VS but that was what I was looking for.
2) I believe BDE is coated but I haven't strung my only set of BDE yet.
3) From what another poster said about ArmourPro (Mojo I think), once it locks in the string is very durable.
4) I wouldn't go to a popular stringer, but a well qualified one. It takes a bit of care to string natural gut and if a popular stringer needs to get through a ton of racquets then they may not care about the results so things like notching and kinking occurs.
5) You've pretty much covered it, just stay away from Grand Slam Gut. There have been reports of that string being poor quality.

rasajadad
01-02-2007, 10:03 AM
I have had good experiences with Klip Legend as well as Klip Armor Pro. I have not had them both in the same frame so it's hard to precisely compare, but while I like the Legend a lot, I LOVED the Armor Pro.

BigServer1
01-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Your list is good so far. As said above, if you can find it, get some Pacific gut, and try Titan gut if you want to save some money (I haven't ever used Titan, but it's cheap). I like the Klip Legend coated a lot (haven't hit the uncoated, but it would be far less durable), and I my next string job will be Klip Armour Pro. You can't go wrong with VS either, and BDE Perf is pretty good too, although the coating didn't seem as thick to me as a VS or Klip (just my opinion, though).

Also, I totally agree with whoever said take it to a good stringer. Gut is finniky, and extra time needs to be taken when stringing it to avoid knotting, kinking and overall damage to the string. At the high cost of gut, it better be done right.

Lindros13
01-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the replies. I just ordered the following natural guts from TW: KLIP Legend 16 (coated), KLIP Armour Pro 16, and BDE Perf 16. I also ordered two sets of Technifibre X-1 Bi-Phase (as backup synthetic). If TW carried Pacific gut, I would've considered it. I'm not sure if I'll use the reputable stringer in my area just because of the inconvenience, but maybe. Thanks again.

jaykay
01-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Lindros13: Would really appreciate a follow-up post from you providing a feedback on the nat gut strings that you have purchased.

Thnx.

Lindros13
01-04-2007, 05:38 AM
OK, I'll give an update when I get finally get them on my racquets. The strings on two of my racquets are starting to fray so it may happen sometime soon.

FYI, currently I have Babolat VS and Babolat Tonic+ on two of my racquets (both in 16 gauge). I gave them a good test this morning and I believe I can feel the difference between the two. They were both recently strung at 62 lbs on my Babolat AeroPro Control racquets, and I can really feel the grip/bite of the VS more so than the Tonic. If the VS lasts a little longer, then perhaps I'd splurge again on the expensive string. But I wonder if I would buy the Tonic again - I'm not sure just yet. I'm going to try to compare the Tonic (~$25 string) to my Technifibre X-One Biphase synthetic ($14.50 string). If there's a noticeable difference, then yes, I'd buy the Tonic again, but we'll see.

fastdunn
01-04-2007, 10:10 AM
4) Lastly, do I really need to inconvenience myself by having my expensive nat. guts strung by a well known stringer? The most popular guy in my area is about a 30-minuite drive and I would need to make "reservations" about 30 days in advance, as crazy as that sounds. i.e. I would make a stringing appointment now, in anticipation of my string breaking in 30 days. And then either cut it if it's not broken, or see if he'd push my "appointment" back a day or two. To me, it seems a bit inconvenient since I can simply drop my racquet off at my club and have it back from the club stringer within 3 days *(usually 2 days) without any advanced notice.

Can you tell us more about this guy ? How has he acquired this kind of fame
as a stringer ? I mean why he is this popular ? How much does he charge
and what kind of machine does he use ?

I have been stringing (just for myself and a few friends) for about 3 years.
I have strung on a drop weight, crank and now an electronic machine.

I realized there is pretty good knowledge on stringing over couple of years
but it's hard to imagine one stringer is noticably better than others.

It's relatively easier to spot a bad stringing job but once it's done right,
it's not easy to see one is better than others objectively...

bluescreen
01-04-2007, 01:21 PM
i've had great experiences w/ klip legend 18. i had it strung on my n6.1 95 16x18 for 4 weeks and it never broke! i have it on my lm prestige mid now and its working great.

and wow, u have to make a reservation 30 days in advance!? thats not worth it, i dont care who the stringer is. even 2-3 days seems like a lot, considering my local tennis specialty shop gets both of my n6.1 95's strung in under hour. definately dont waste your time on that popular stringer.

tlm
01-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Go with best pacific toughgut!

Steve Huff
01-04-2007, 05:40 PM
All the guts are nice. As for using inexperienced stringers, or stringers inexperienced with gut, that's up to you. I use different knots when stringing gut, I take a little more time so that I'm not burning throught the crosses or getting the string kinked. I don't want the gut to come unravelled, which occasionally, even the new stuff can do. I string quite a bit of gut, and occasionally on tight holes (when shared or tying off), the gut tries to unravel some. The last thing you want is a $40-50 string job that breaks before you play with it, or shortly after. Personally, I probably wouldn't guarantee string that was brought in (I really don't know where you got it), but I would any string I bought and put it. I have the option of pulling the string out and sending it back to the manufacturer then. Too many breaks, and I wouldn't be buying from that manufacturer any more. So, if it were me, I'd get a reputable stringer, or at least someone who has strung gut before.

BigServer1
01-04-2007, 06:25 PM
All the guts are nice. As for using inexperienced stringers, or stringers inexperienced with gut, that's up to you. I use different knots when stringing gut, I take a little more time so that I'm not burning throught the crosses or getting the string kinked. I don't want the gut to come unravelled, which occasionally, even the new stuff can do. I string quite a bit of gut, and occasionally on tight holes (when shared or tying off), the gut tries to unravel some. The last thing you want is a $40-50 string job that breaks before you play with it, or shortly after. Personally, I probably wouldn't guarantee string that was brought in (I really don't know where you got it), but I would any string I bought and put it. I have the option of pulling the string out and sending it back to the manufacturer then. Too many breaks, and I wouldn't be buying from that manufacturer any more. So, if it were me, I'd get a reputable stringer, or at least someone who has strung gut before.

Hey Steve, I've been stringing for a while, and I too take some extra time when stringing gut, but I use the same knots when tying off gut (with a different knot for starting the crosses, obviously). I noticed you said you used different knots when using gut, what knots are those?

Lindros13
01-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Can you tell us more about this guy ? How has he acquired this kind of fame
as a stringer ? I mean why he is this popular ? How much does he charge
and what kind of machine does he use ?

Several of the players in my club know him and say he's an excellent stringer. I have also run into other players in my area that said he's a great stringer. They don't all use him though because he's about a 30-minute drive away. I've heard he either used to string or still strings racquets for some pro players. I think he charges about the same as most people in the area (I'd guess somewhere between $15 and $20 if you have your own string) which is standard for my area of NJ. I actually pay $20 at my club when I bring my own string. I could pay $15 if I drove to another nearby club, but again, I like the convenience.

Actually, I just looked it up. I bought a racquet from him so he gave me half price on the string/string job. I got LaserFibre Supreme 16 strung on the new racquet for $14 instead of his standard price of $28 (which includes the cost of the string). I haven't gone back since because of the inconvenient drive and the fact that I need to make a stringing reservation ahead of time.

I don't know the specifics on his machine.

kenyee
01-05-2007, 09:46 AM
My opinion on those strings:
Feel:
Babolat VS > BDE Perf > Klip Legend
Stiffness/boardiness:
Klip Legend > Babolat VS > BDE Perf
Durability:
BDE Perf > Klip Legend > Babolat VS

I only played w/ the Babolate VS 2-3 times over a 2 month period and the string popped in the closet; it was strung by Tennis Warehouse (they didn't say anything when I asked them what may have caused this).
Klip Legend (coated) is supposed to feel really boardy (aka, like synthetic) if you stretch it. I hated it (strung by Tennis Warehouse and they probably overstretched it) but I also chose gut because of its shock absorption abilities.
FWIW, I've decided to stick w/ BDE Perf...lasts me over a year because I'm not a string breaker :-)

Definitely post your opinions when you've tried these all...

Lindros13
01-05-2007, 09:55 AM
....and they probably overstretched it)...

If I want to continue to have my racquet strung at my local club, should I ask the schedule of the stringer guy so I could stop in and meet him? Specifically, do I need to ask him if he knows how to string with nat. gut? I don't want to sound like a jerk asking something like that... but at the same time, I did not know that gut may require a special technique such as stretching, tying, etc. So do I need to ask a few questions, and what questions are best? Thanks.

Valjean
01-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Durability:

I only played w/ the Babolate VS 2-3 times over a 2 month period and the string popped in the closet; it was strung by Tennis Warehouse (they didn't say anything when I asked them what may have caused this).....
I would hope you're not basing your thoughts on the durability of the VS entirely on whether it popped in your closet.

Valjean
01-05-2007, 11:49 AM
....Personally, I probably wouldn't guarantee string that was brought in (I really don't know where you got it), but I would any string I bought and put it. I have the option of pulling the string out and sending it back to the manufacturer then.....
Have you even found a supplier/manufacturer willing to guarantee *natural gut* that way? Babolat won't.

kenyee
01-06-2007, 08:02 AM
I would hope you're not basing your thoughts on the durability of the VS entirely on whether it popped in your closet.

That was my only experience with VS, so that's why I mentioned it prior to my summary so people can put in their own comparisons..

It was a disappointment given how expensive VS is :-P

Pusher
01-06-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm looking to get a few more sets of 16G natural gut (for full stringjobs, no hybrids). I currently have Babolat VS 16 and Babolat Tonic+ 16 on two of my racquets. (Aside from Babolat VS 17 which snapped after 5 days, these are the only natural guts I've tried thus far.)

Few questions:
1) I see KLIP Legend has both coated and uncoated string @ same price on TW. Any comments on their differences? (For convenience, I use my club's stringer and I have no idea if he's a good or bad stringer. Though I've been happy w/ my stringjobs in the past. I read something that says a string's coating makes it easier to string.)
2) I've seen some good comments on BDE Performance, so I'll probably give it a try. Is it "coated" similar to KLIP comment above? Any other comments?
3) I've also seen some good comments on KLIP Armour Pro, so I'll probably give it a try as well. Any comments?
5) Any other guts worth testing?

Most club stringers have little or no experience with gut. Many of these club stringers are teenagers working part-time. My club stringer broke a $35 set of VS and acted like it was my fault because I wanted her to string gut. The next day I ordered a $130 dropweight stringer and it has saved me a ton of money.

IMO, Klip Legend is the best deal on gut. Pacific is the best but they are undependable as a supplier. Babolat is the gold standard but they are over-priced (except for the Tonic).

Steve Huff
01-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I haven't had to send nat gut back in a long time, but I thought most of the major suppliers would take it back if it broke before being played with.

The kind of knot I use for gut is similar to a "dead man's" knot. I double half hitch around another piece of string (usually a poly, since it's stiffer) so that the knot won't cut into the string it's tied to.

tlm
01-07-2007, 06:38 AM
I use pacific toughgut+there is no problem with durability, it will last longer than most synthetics.As far as stringing gut you should take your time, there is no race when using $30 string.

Be careful not to get any kinks in it+ you wont have any problems.As far as knots go i use the same half hitch knots i use for all stringing.But i think with pacific toughgut you have the strongest gut available, so there are fewer problems.

downey stringing master
01-07-2007, 01:26 PM
BDE 17g is nice but uncoated for durabilty get the same but in 16g witch is coated

fastdunn
01-07-2007, 07:48 PM
How about Babolat Tonic+ ?

Thanks,
FD

My opinion on those strings:
Feel:
Babolat VS > BDE Perf > Klip Legend
Stiffness/boardiness:
Klip Legend > Babolat VS > BDE Perf
Durability:

I only played w/ the Babolate VS 2-3 times over a 2 month period and the string popped in the closet; it was strung by Tennis Warehouse (they didn't say anything when I asked them what may have caused this).
Klip Legend (coated) is supposed to feel really boardy (aka, like synthetic) if you stretch it. I hated it (strung by Tennis Warehouse and they probably overstretched it) but I also chose gut because of its shock absorption abilities.
FWIW, I've decided to stick w/ BDE Perf...lasts me over a year because I'm not a string breaker :-)

Definitely post your opinions when you've tried these all...