PDA

View Full Version : Levels of Junior Tournaments

Dennis Chan
01-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm wondering if there are any well defined levels for junior tournaments. Please see this page for example :
http://tournaments.usta.com/tournaments/schedule/SearchResults.aspx?typeofsubmit=&Action=2&Keywords=&TournamentID=&SectionDistrict=65&City=&State=&Zip=&Month=&Day=&Year=2007&Division=G8&Category=&Surface=&OnlineEntry=&DrawsSheets=

I can see (from low to high) these levels:

- novice
- satellite
- satellite masters
- open

Am I correct? Also if a tournament does not state "satellite" or "novice", does it imply it is an "Open"?

One last question, I saw "National Open" (or similar) before. Is that the highest level for boys and girls under 18s'?

Thanks in advance.

Dashbarr
01-02-2007, 04:01 PM
i believe its:

Novice
Challenger
Open
from there, it goes into sectional and other sorts of championships
and satellite and futures. i dont know how those two go.

brayman9
01-02-2007, 05:49 PM
in New England it goes
from hardest to easiest:

Level 1 (National)
Level 3 ( 1 a year)
Level 4 ( 4 a year)
Level 5 ( 8 a year)
Level 6 ( ALOT)
Level 7 ( ALOT)
State Level (these are SO easy)

state level is almost a joke no one plays them and you get no points
There are a couple 6 and 7's every weekend
A 5 level comes about once a month for each divison
4 levels comes rarely
3 levels They take the top 32 players ranked in each divison and play a 5 day tournament at Yale
I know 1's exist but only one or two a year come
You can play in any one you want but you won't get drawn in harder ones

brayman9
01-02-2007, 05:51 PM
o and i was wondering if i could play a tournament in FLorida even though i don't live theif

Dashbarr
01-02-2007, 06:20 PM
a usta sanctioned tournament? probably. we had a kid from south dakota and another from south carolina playing in a norcal christmas tournament.

Gus
01-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Dennis, those are the basic levels for the USTA tournaments in the SCTA region (Southern California). Satellite Masters however, is a specific, invitation only tournament for winners of a satellite event the prior year. If you go to the SCTA site, juniors section, there is an explanation of the various levels. For example, players successful at the satellite level become ineligible for future satellites if they win more than two or get a ranking above a certain number or something like that.

Yes, if it doesn't say novice or satellite, it is usually an open- check the actual tournament information site to find out for sure.

National Opens come in various forms- most regional "national opens" are USTA level three, or sometimes level two events. The lower the number, the higher the status of the tournament. Several regular "open" events per year are considered "designated" or level 5 or 4 events for national ranking purposes. To qualify for national opens or other things, the kids have to play in a minimum number of designated events- see the "endorsement" requirements in the SCTA junior section. In the page you listed, "Esme Pearson" in San Diego is one of these events, as is "Gene Jung" in Whittier. These tournaments usually have huge draws.

Check out the SoCal website, if you still have questions contact Darren Potkey at the SCTA- He's in charge of the junior tournaments, is a nice guy, and will have all the answers for you. I'm sure there's a link for him somewhere on that site.

Dennis Chan
01-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Dennis,
Check out the SoCal website, if you still have questions contact Darren Potkey at the SCTA- He's in charge of the junior tournaments, is a nice guy, and will have all the answers for you. I'm sure there's a link for him somewhere on that site.

Thanks Gus! I was not aware of the http://www.scta.usta.com site. I now have plenty to read. :D

Tour 90
01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I've never heard where the level ones are, getting curious about that.

Progressive10s
01-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Brayman9, I believe that you can play in other regions as a USTA member, as long as you meet the requirements for that tournament. (ranking) Be prepared to face some tough competition in the Southern regions. I grew up in New England and there was a player ranked 9 in the Florida 14 and under division who summered in New England and was the top ranking junior in the 16 and under division in New England based on his summer tournament play.

brayman9
01-13-2007, 11:04 AM
i am in the low 70's in newengland and was wondering aboout this tournament

http://usatennisflorida.tournaments.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=49973

ipodtennispro
02-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Level 2 tournament: video highlights day 1

http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/National%20Open.mov

www.ipodtennispros.com

SDTENNIS
02-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Level 1's= USTA National Championships (Spring, Clay, Hard, Winter)
Level 2's= USTA National Opens (held 4 times a year, at 4 differnet locations each time for each age group:February, May, Late June or Early July, and November.
Level 3's=All other National Tournaments, and each Section has one level 3
Level 4's= Each Section has 3 Level 4's
Level 5's= Each Section has 8 level 5's

Izeil110
02-22-2007, 07:35 PM
im lookin at the mid atlantic section, and i dont see any L7's or anything like that...only L5's which are like ecery weekend

tosteen
02-22-2007, 07:52 PM
yeah you can play a floridda tourney if your not from there. just go to usta.com and sign up. where are you playing at?

XhotXEX1290
02-22-2007, 08:52 PM
depends on where you are

novice>intermediate>open>sectional>national open>Intersectionals>National championships>Orange Bowl, etc...>Junior grand slam

ipodtennispro
02-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Videos of the girls 2007 National Open 18's in Honolulu, Hawaii

http://iws.punahou.edu/user/lcouillard/Girls_early_rounds.mov

www.ipodtennispros.com

N4n45h1
03-07-2007, 05:00 PM
LTF Junior Boys Open - 855714308
Lifetime Fitness
B(16-10)s,FMLC
Surface Type: Hard Indoor

how can i tell what lvl that tournament is?

im assuming its FMLC but i dont know what that is =P

XhotXEX1290
03-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Its an open, which means you shouldn't play unless you 4.0+

counterpunch _god
03-08-2007, 09:03 PM
I live in San Diego, and the ranking system is like this is Southern Cal

Lv. 8 Novice-no sectional or national ranking
Lv.7 Satelite-can't enter if ranked in top 100, no national ranking, gives you sectional ranking
Lv. 6 Open- Anyone can join Gives you sectional ranking, no national
Lv. 5 Designated (Whittier, Pearson etc.)- 16 natl. pts. sect. pts
Lv.4 Designated(SouthBay, Fullerton, etc.) 30 pts.
Lv3. Sectionals 20 pts. qualifying 45 pts. maindraw
Lv. 2 National Opens You have to qualify for this tournament, and it is solely based on national ranking.
Lv.1 Supernational You have to qualify

Edit: i'm on the mission hills tournament on your list. Im playing B12 singles