PDA

View Full Version : How is tennis in Southern Cali?

chloeToh
01-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Specifically, San Diego? Might have to relocate, so would like to find out more information now.

Thanks.

Geezer Guy
01-03-2007, 06:27 AM
I read a few years ago (in TENNIS magazine, I think) that San Diego is one of the best towns in the US for tennis. According to the article there are lots for public courts all over town in pristine condition, the weather is great year-round, and lots of locals play so it's easy to find a match.

tennismike33
01-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Specifically, San Diego? Might have to relocate, so would like to find out more information now.

Thanks.

Just think, year round sunshine, light breezes, this could be tennis paradise!!!!

GS
01-03-2007, 08:25 AM
It IS tennis paradise. The best weather in the United States, lots of players, and lots of hardcourts. Balboa Park is a hotspot. My only problem with that town is when I visit there, these 4.5 guys always beat me up because they're match-tough, meaning most of em are always playing tournaments year round.

sureshs
01-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Great place

migjam
01-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Just think, year round sunshine, light breezes, this could be tennis paradise!!!!

Oh... It IS a tennis paradise. It's just paradise period. Beats this HELL HOLE in the Northwest.

Redflea
01-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Just bring a bucket (or two) of money if you are planning on buying any property there...

Sell a mansion in the mid-west, buy a (small) condo in San Diego. :)

WhiteSox05CA
01-05-2007, 08:25 AM
I'd love to play tennis is Southern California, especially. I'd love to play tennis everywhere.

goober
01-05-2007, 04:13 PM

Thanks.

Put it this way, wherever you are moving from it will be an improvement in terms of number of players, number of courts and quality of players. The only place that rivals it is Florida.

West Coast Ace
01-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Sell a mansion in the mid-west, buy a (small) condo in San Diego. :)More like rent. :-)

To the OP: seriously, consider the whole 'quality of life' before pulling the trigger. Being able to play tennis all the time is great - but the housing, edukashen (CA spelling, not mine) and traffic issues are real.

chloeToh
01-06-2007, 12:00 AM
More like rent. :-)

To the OP: seriously, consider the whole 'quality of life' before pulling the trigger. Being able to play tennis all the time is great - but the housing, edukashen (CA spelling, not mine) and traffic issues are real.

In term of living, I love where I am right now, lots of varieties. I can stay here and try harder to find another job. I applied these jobs last year, was not expecting call back but was surprised.

At this point, I don't have an offer yet. But will serious consider if and when I get the job - it's a promotion. From how I see it, I don't have a good reason to not go. I can always work for a year and then relocate back here.

Fight it just make it harder, so I am going to go with the flow. Wish me luck!

Can someone recommend a private club so i can look into it? Thanks!

GS
01-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Well, I play alot at the San Diego Hilton Resort, 10 minutes north of the airport. 5 hardcourts, hot tub, sauna and workout machines. The head pro is the famous Ben Press, a great guy. A decent amount of 4.0 and 4.5 players. Don't know the rates at this place.

tennismike33
01-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Oh... It IS a tennis paradise. It's just paradise period. Beats this HELL HOLE in the Northwest.

Today in the great Northwest, 3-6" of snow, sun is shining ahd the temps are in the high 20's, grab your racket, sunscreen, brooms, sweep the courts off and let's hit!!!!

Redflea
01-11-2007, 07:24 PM
Today in the great Northwest, 3-6" of snow, sun is shining ahd the temps are in the high 20's, grab your racket, sunscreen, brooms, sweep the courts off and let's hit!!!!

With that kind of weather, I don't know what the heck you were doing inside on a computer... :)

There are a lot of of public courts in SoCal from what I've seen...I don't know that any club membership is really required.

The Balboa Tennis Center, which someone mentioned above, is quite large (over 20 courts, I believe) and has a lot of good players from what I've heard.

Gemini
01-12-2007, 04:44 AM
I'll take the traffic in ANY other place over the traffic here (Atlanta, GA). I actually had a guy (complete stranger) comment to me as we were both getting out of cars at a local hotel. He said "I'm from Los Angeles and NEVER seen traffic like this. This is ****** ridiculous. Do you deal with this on a regular basis?" And Atlanta's public transit system SUCKS! I'd take San Diego if the cost of living wasn't so high, but Atlanta's got me looking for cheaper lodgings and I definitely couldn't do anything in CA.

wilsun
02-14-2007, 09:58 AM
I went there once played at the Hyatt hotel next to the convention center, The courts were on the roof facing the harbor. With the nice boats and beautiful view it was the most beautiful place I ever played.

penpal
02-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Here's a link to a review on the Balboa Tennis Club, in case it's useful: http://www.courtcoverage.com/tennis/modules.php?name=MReviews&op=show&rid=254

lude popper
02-28-2007, 08:52 AM

Thanks.

among the best tennis in country. rivals atlanta and SoFLa for sheer number of players and organizational convenience. best weather in world. however, don't go there unless you like traffic overcrowding ugly overpriced sprawl. SoCal is a science fiction nightmare of bad planning and poor services. it has to be the single ugliest place on planet earth. unless you can afford to live next to Phil Mickelson in Rancho Sante Fe, you're gonna be packed like a sardine in some levitttown box and spend most of your day in traffic, gazing at an infinite morass of ugly shopping malls and suicidally repetitive housing condos. and forget about taking a relaxing drive into the desert. the only thing out there are David Lynch horror-movie-towns like Beaumont and flaccid white-&-wealthy retirement snoozers like palm springs. I say give SoCal back to mexico > we destroyed it.

Redflea
02-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Oh come on, lude-dude, tell us how you really feel, don't hold back! ;)

dowjones
02-28-2007, 05:34 PM
lude popper's right, don't come here. It's really a terrible place. :mad: :D :p

theace21
02-28-2007, 08:52 PM
San Diego is a great place...but check out home prices - OUCH!!!