PDA

View Full Version : low powered strings

s.sharm01
01-02-2007, 06:13 PM
so i have read other threads on this topic, and for the most part people have recommended KEVLAR. I was wondering if there is anyother strings that you could recommend.

or if u could send me to another thread that would be awesome.
THANK YOU in advace

Kevo
01-02-2007, 07:40 PM
If you string tight enough any string will be low powered. It would probably help if you could state some more info. Like, what frame, string, tensions you've tried and the results.

Valjean
01-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Every string is a trade-off; kevlar, for instance, is hard as nails.

It's probably helpful, now, to say where you are coming from too.

s.sharm01
01-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Well its a pure drive +. I started workin on my form, and today i was able to keep a good amount of my balls in and ended up winning the match. Its just i was playing the whole time thinking whether it is going to fly out or not.
So i was looking for strings that would be dead in terms of power, but provide some feel.
Thanks for the help so far guys much appericiated

s.sharm01
01-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Sorry at this point it has
Pro Hurricane T at 62 Main
SYn GUt at 62 crosses.

gvanzky
01-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Well its a pure drive +. I started workin on my form, and today i was able to keep a good amount of my balls in and ended up winning the match. Its just i was playing the whole time thinking whether it is going to fly out or not.
So i was looking for strings that would be dead in terms of power, but provide some feel.
Thanks for the help so far guys much appericiated

try gosen biogut xpc. it's cheap at the auction site. don't use it as a hybrid, it will break the string faster espcially if you use it on the crosses and don't put tension over 55lbs other wise it would feel worse than a kevlar. i usually string my racquet at 63-64 lbs on a regular synthetic but w/ biogut i strung at 51lbs and i still have to swing hard to keep the ball deep. good luck

GokuQ
01-02-2007, 11:46 PM
go 18 g kevlar and hybrid it with synth gut

s.sharm01
01-03-2007, 12:50 AM
go 18 g kevlar and hybrid it with synth gut

herez my thing. i have read that arm unfriendly strings in stiff frames like pd+ (stiffness 70) can ... well be really bad for the arm.

So i mean would hybrid it with a synthetic gut...but how bad would it be on the arm...and wat tensions would u use if u wanted to limit the power...
Or i guess the better way to put it how much would u vary the syn gut and the kevlar...

THAnk

BigServer1
01-03-2007, 01:27 AM
herez my thing. i have read that arm unfriendly strings in stiff frames like pd+ (stiffness 70) can ... well be really bad for the arm.

So i mean would hybrid it with a synthetic gut...but how bad would it be on the arm...and wat tensions would u use if u wanted to limit the power...
Or i guess the better way to put it how much would u vary the syn gut and the kevlar...

THAnk

If it were me, I would avoid Kevlar like the plague, and go for a softer Polyester string, like a 17g Signum Pro Poly Plasma at a midrange tension. That gives you some feel, better comfort than many polys and any kevlar string, and is lower powered which you want. If that is uncomfortable, you could put some syn gut on the crosses and raise the tension 2lbs (on the crosses). I think that one of those options would work well for you.

s.sharm01
01-03-2007, 02:31 AM
If it were me, I would avoid Kevlar like the plague, and go for a softer Polyester string, like a 17g Signum Pro Poly Plasma at a midrange tension. That gives you some feel, better comfort than many polys and any kevlar string, and is lower powered which you want. If that is uncomfortable, you could put some syn gut on the crosses and raise the tension 2lbs (on the crosses). I think that one of those options would work well for you.

Alright well i have SPPP laying around, and its 17g. and i also have 16 syn gut lying around wat tension would u recommed. And how much would u vary the syn gut by in the hybrid

BigServer1
01-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Alright well i have SPPP laying around, and its 17g. and i also have 16 syn gut lying around wat tension would u recommed. And how much would u vary the syn gut by in the hybrid

I would do one of two things: Full SPPP between 54-58 or SPPP mains at 56-58 and syn gut crosses between 56-60. The ideal, I think would be SPPP at 56 crossed with syn gut at 58, but you can go with the same tension for mains and crosses if you like.

Kevo
01-03-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm kind of surprised that you are having a lot of trouble keeping the ball in with the frame strung at 62lbs. with a poly hybrid. Do you mainly hit flat? If so, the Pure Drive + is probably not the frame you want to use. If you are stringing really fast on a lockout, that might have something to do with it too. Going to fast on a lockout can prevent you from getting the tension you are setting on the machine.

Having said that, try some Cyberflash 17 at about 58-60lbs., or some Kirschbaum Competition 17 at 56-58lbs and see what you think about those.

s.sharm01
01-03-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm kind of surprised that you are having a lot of trouble keeping the ball in with the frame strung at 62lbs. with a poly hybrid. Do you mainly hit flat? If so, the Pure Drive + is probably not the frame you want to use. If you are stringing really fast on a lockout, that might have something to do with it too. Going to fast on a lockout can prevent you from getting the tension you are setting on the machine.

Having said that, try some Cyberflash 17 at about 58-60lbs., or some Kirschbaum Competition 17 at 56-58lbs and see what you think about those.

Um. I use to have a flat forhand, but i changed before i got the PD+, knowing that it would be hard to keep the ball in. But i have changed by form enough to keeep the ball in. The problem at this point is that i have to constantly hold back to make sure the ball stays in. I just don't want to worrying about that.
As for the tension, well i get mine strung at a pro shop so i'm not sure wat they do there, but i'm sure that they get the tension that is asked for.

THanks

Valjean
01-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Sorry at this point it has
Pro Hurricane T at 62 Main
SYn GUt at 62 crosses.
It's standard to string syn gut crosses four lbs. tighter than poly mains, due to the difference in material composition.

I'd try it. Since your famous local stringers failed to warn you of the makeup discrepancy and how to handle it, I'd take them into account too--carefully, though, or you may lose them.

Richie Rich
01-03-2007, 03:53 PM
kevlar in a pd is probably not a good move for your body in the long run.

your current set up of hurricane tour mains at 62 is fairly high too, for a poly in that frame.

if balls are sailing long i'd look at your stroke style and mechanics first.

or change racquets - it may not be the right choice for your game.