PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me? (strings)

BaseLineBash
01-02-2007, 11:25 PM
So anyway, my string of choice for some months now has been straight lux ALU. I string high tensions on my POG OS, and on groundies I feel as if I could knock down a mountain at will, great depth... just a great deal of confidence on the ground game. But, my serve seems to have suffered... I can't hit a relatively flat serve consistently and I'm having a tough time hitting hard slices out wide, as well as kicks. Anyone else have this experience? I have recently switched back to a basic sythetic gut( out of mere conveniece at the moment) and my serve has regained its authority, but the gound game feels a little loose...

Bottle Rocket
01-03-2007, 12:04 AM
What tension? You might want to drop it a few pounds.

I have my POG strung at 60 lbs with ALU... I think 58-ish would be perfect.

Everytime I have gone from a synthetic gut to ALU the first thing I notice is the difference in my serves. Your experience is interesting...

BaseLineBash
01-03-2007, 12:39 AM
What tension? You might want to drop it a few pounds.

I have my POG strung at 60 lbs with ALU... I think 58-ish would be perfect.

Everytime I have gone from a synthetic gut to ALU the first thing I notice is the difference in my serves. Your experience is interesting...

When I first started using ALU, I did piddle with the tension quite a bit. I found that at around mid-tension(62lbs.) the string felt mediocre, but truly shined at high-tension. For me, this string is nothing short of amazing, I just wish I had ease of serve to match that of my ground-game.

Borat
01-03-2007, 12:43 AM
I thought most ppl drop tension when using Luxilon ALU Power?

Kevo
01-03-2007, 08:53 AM
You probably are used to hitting your serve in a different spot on the string bed than you hit your groundies. Maybe a bit higher and closer to the frame. That can make a big difference when you up the tension. Try hitting your serve so that the point of contact is a little lower and more centered in the frame. With syn gut it doesn't make as much a difference because the string isn't as stiff and still has some give nearer to the edges of the frame. This is of course just a guess. It's always kind of hit or miss when you can't actually see it for yourself.

BaseLineBash
01-03-2007, 12:04 PM
You probably are used to hitting your serve in a different spot on the string bed than you hit your groundies. Maybe a bit higher and closer to the frame. That can make a big difference when you up the tension. Try hitting your serve so that the point of contact is a little lower and more centered in the frame. With syn gut it doesn't make as much a difference because the string isn't as stiff and still has some give nearer to the edges of the frame. This is of course just a guess. It's always kind of hit or miss when you can't actually see it for yourself.

You very well could be right... I have noticed a trajectory change with the ALU. Just like with any other string, the longer you play with the more tension you are going to lose and something I've noticed with ALU is when you do lose tension the stringbed actually stiffins more and more even though there is greater give after you break through... does that make sense? Kinda like a ball of magnets tightly bound together... and you throw them to the ground... they break apart... then they come back together as fast as you've broken them apart...