PDA

View Full Version : Tempature and string tension?

flemby2112
01-04-2007, 06:21 AM
Does anyone know if you should adjust string tension for summer play 90F vs. i
ndoor play in winter 65F? Thanks in advance.:-D

jbs24
01-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Agassi's stringer reduces by only a pound for warmer, day matches. amazing he can tell the difference of only a lb. of tension

BaseLineBash
01-04-2007, 01:23 PM

The ball will fly more in warmer temperature vs. colder. It's up to you to find a medium with your tension.

BaseLineBash
01-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Agassi's stringer reduces by only a pound for warmer, day matches. amazing he can tell the difference of only a lb. of tension

I'm pretty sure you are wrong. Aussie '05, he strung looser and was overhitting and had control problems. And at the USO in '06 he actually sent Cahill out to get some tighter strung racquets( Agassi plays at a tension of 66lbs. in warm weather, straight lux alu)... so I guess you are half-right anyway... seems he wants to hit really BIG then switches it up when he's hitting too big.

Two Fister
01-05-2007, 11:04 AM
And at the USO in '06 he actually sent Cahill out to get some tighter strung racquets

I think that Agassi said in a post game interview that he sent Cahill to get racquets strung at a different tension, but I think some folks on the TW board proved with photos that he actually changed his racquet model (same paint job on two different models, but one noticiably thicker frame than the other). I believe he went from a thick beam to a thin beam racquet on that particular switch.

Anyway, I would think that in hot weather, you'd string tighter and in cold weather you'd string looser.

acetennisman
01-05-2007, 01:36 PM
I would use pete as the better example. Read to see what he did(or nate ferguson)to his racquets with the climate change.

aroddick
01-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Science class-

In Heat an object expands.
In Cold an object shrinks.

In winter I would string it two pounds lower
In summer I would string it two or one pounds higher.

In conclusion --

Winter --- string lower
Summer -- String higher

Your choice.

theace21
01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Science class-

In conclusion --

Winter --- string lower
Summer -- String higher

Your choice.

I use the same logic, it always made sense to me...

power_play21
01-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Science class-

In conclusion --

Winter --- string lower
Summer -- String higher

Your choice.

i dont think most people would even notice a 3 pound change.

aroddick
01-05-2007, 02:53 PM
if people wont feel the 3 pound change, go ahead a string it 3 pound higher or lower next time. WILL YOU

patrick922
01-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Science class-

In conclusion --

Winter --- string lower
Summer -- String higher

Your choice.

i also believe this is true from personal experience. it seems like in the cold the strings become tighter so i usually drop the tension by a few pounds and in warmer weather i usually string it higher than the winter tension

power_play21
01-05-2007, 03:05 PM
if people wont feel the 3 pound change, go ahead a string it 3 pound higher or lower next time. WILL YOU

yep. id go at least 3 or 4 up or down.

but strings lose around 8% of their tension if overnight, not even playing with the racquet. so i don't know what most people here do but i just string 5 to 6 pounds above what i want b/c then i will have that tension settled in my racquet.

so theres a big diff. if you string and play right away or just the next day, too. racquet keeps loosing tension all the time.

Pusher
01-05-2007, 06:31 PM
yep. id go at least 3 or 4 up or down.

but strings lose around 8% of their tension if overnight, not even playing with the racquet. so i don't know what most people here do but i just string 5 to 6 pounds above what i want b/c then i will have that tension settled in my racquet.

so theres a big diff. if you string and play right away or just the next day, too. racquet keeps loosing tension all the time.

Thats why it's a good idea to use strings that will break in 3-5 hours.

RacquetDoctor
01-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I am very sensitive to the 'feel' of the ball.

Winter months I string any where from 0 to 4kgs looser depending on the temperature. The difference has everything to do with the depth of my shot, and the elasticity of the tennis ball and string.

In cold weather, the dropper can rule!!!! The ball just doesn't bounce.

If you can keep them deep, it's harder to hit! ;)

tennis_nerd22
01-05-2007, 07:20 PM

generally i believe you string looser in winter, tighter in summer? someone correct me if im wrong.

edit: i was right, i read the rest of the thread ;)

downey stringing master
01-06-2007, 05:28 AM
well keep your rackets at warmish tempertaure coz in winter in the garaje it *** ur frame n string up

6 x Prince 03 Tour Midsize
Duratac White Over Grip
Kirshbaum Super Smash Spiky 17 and Signum Pro Poly Plasma 17 at 60 lbs.
Team Sharapova 12 rkt.
Adidas Clothing and Feather Shoes
2006 win - loss = 81 - 3

fuzz nation
01-06-2007, 06:53 AM
Winter is tough because in the same week I'll play outside in the low 40's and indoors where it's a lot warmer. By chance I had two of the same racquet strung 4-5 lbs apart when I went out to play in the cold and the tighter one was almost too loose inside, but rock hard in the lower temps. The loose one was fine, but I don't want to string crazy loose all the time, so I'll probably figure on 2-3 lbs looser for the colder months.

flemby2112
01-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the info everyone.