PDA

View Full Version : tennis ball + synthetic grass court questions

kickingbird
08-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Can anybody answer these questions I have about tennis balls?

1) Do balls that are fuzzy bounce lower?
2) Are spin serves (and strokes) more effective and responsive on balls that have fuzzed up?
3) Do balls with very little felt on it bounce higher? What about spin?
4) Are balls supposed to fuzz up on grass courts?

I've noticed that my Wimbledon balls become heavy and bounce low when I play on slightly damp synthetic grasscourt, so I was just wondering...

For people who play regularly on synthetic grass courts, what are it's characteristics? There are 2 types around my area- normal synthetic grass courts and synthetic grass courts with sand. They are both very annoying to play on, and from my exp., the one with sand bounces low and slows down lots, the one without sand bounces low and skids like crazy.

And please tell me anything else important I need to know about tennis balls/courts! Thanks!

AndyC
08-21-2004, 12:54 AM
1) In my experience yes.. especially if they become wet/damp.
2) Harder to generate spin and strokes are less effective.
3) Balls with less felt bounce higher and u can impart more spin but will also shoot through the court faster when hit flat.
4) On real grass (which I've played on a few occasions) I can't remember them fuzzing up as much as synthetics.

Wimbledon balls (or at least the Ultra Vis I use have more felt on them (or the felt becomes more fuzzed more easily than other balls). Penns are better for damp synthetic grass courts. I've also played with Dunlop Forts and these are comparable with the Wimbledon balls for felt but don't seem to fuzz as much.. however the Ultra-Vis are a great deal at Costco and on carpet and indoor hard courts I find they play better than the Penns (which feel lighter to me).